Jesse Stone Movies

The novels & the movies

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Kahunagirl
Vice Admiral

Jesse Stone Movies

#1 Post by Kahunagirl »

Came across an article that is almost a year old, but that I had never seen before, about the Jesse Stone TV movies. Even if you find the movies to be too somber, you'll probably appreciate this review, which contains the following observations ...
Parker’s characters, dialogue and plots aside, the chief reason for the movies’ success is Selleck, who has delivered consistently exceptional performances as Jesse Stone.
He got an Emmy nomination for Best Actor in a miniseries or movie for the most recent adaptation, Sea Change, but lost out to Robert Duvall for Broken Trail. Selleck richly deserves to win at least once before the series is through.
The complete article is at: http://filmjournal.net/jackalsfilmcorne ... sse-stone/

Has anyone seen or heard anything about when "Thin Ice" will be shown?

Kahunagirl

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#2 Post by SelleckLover »

Nice article Kahunagirl. I liked this line:
On top of it all, Selleck looks more than a decade younger than his 60-some years, negating any concern over his suitability for the role.
I like it mostly because it's TRUE! Our TS is awesome!

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Miss Q »

Nice article, thanks for sharing :D

Cant wait to see it in February(ish)...
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by MPS »

Really enjoyed the article. Noticed one mistake in the begining that had me laughing:
A depressed, functioning alcoholic fired from the LA police force, Stone winds up as police chief in the small Pacific coast town of Paradise, Massachusetts.

Pacific coast?? Who knew Massachusetts was so close to California?

Have to agree with the author, and the other women on the forum, TS does, indeed, look 10 (or more) years younger than his age. :D
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

layne
Vice Admiral

Re: Jesse Stone Movies

#5 Post by layne »

Kahunagirl wrote:
Parker’s characters, dialogue and plots aside, the chief reason for the movies’ success is Selleck, who has delivered consistently exceptional performances as Jesse Stone.
He got an Emmy nomination for Best Actor in a miniseries or movie for the most recent adaptation, Sea Change, but lost out to Robert Duvall for Broken Trail. Selleck richly deserves to win at least once before the series is through.
Has anyone seen or heard anything about when "Thin Ice" will be shown?

Kahunagirl
I heard Thin Ice will air in February but I don't know. It seems his movies usually air during the important sweeps times. I'm sure he will get an Emmy if he keeps doing these. I was really surprised at the last Emmy's he presented the very last award of the night....such an icon. I miss seeing him every week though. The Stone movies aren't enough!

I just found this article. I wondered why he had the goatee back and I guess this is why....

"THE INDUSTRY EYE: A mid-October production start has been set for Tom Selleck's next Jesse Stone CBS TV movie, "No Remorse." Selleck not only stars but has exec producer and writer credits on the production, which will location in Halifax. It'll be his sixth telepic featuring the laconic, booze-bedeviled small Massachusetts town police chief invented by mystery writer Robert B. Parker. (The fifth, "Thin Ice," is awaiting an air date.) As long as the ratings remain strong, they'll probably keep making more. As Selleck tells us, "I just love playing the guy. He's so flawed."

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Miss Q »

I remember reading that 'Thin Ice' was pushed off to early 2009 due to the writers strike....

I am hoping for a Feb/March airring during sweeps...

I agree he deserves an award for the series, however I thought 'Sea Change' was the weakest performance of the series, and he didnt win. He should have been nominated for 'Stone Cold', then he would have won.

I miss my man! :cry:
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

layne
Vice Admiral

#7 Post by layne »

Miss Q wrote: I agree he deserves an award for the series, however I thought 'Sea Change' was the weakest performance of the series, and he didnt win. He should have been nominated for 'Stone Cold', then he would have won.

I miss my man! :cry:
Agreed. "Sea Change" had the weakest storyline. "Stone Cold" was my favorite. I wish he would do another weekly series. Las Vegas was not the best show, but I loved getting to watch him every week. The Stone movies are so serious and dark. Miss seeing him laugh and smile like TM did. I just wonder if he will ever do another series full-time. I hope he does.

Kahunagirl
Vice Admiral

#8 Post by Kahunagirl »

Still no word on exactly when Thin Ice will air, but it looks like he's heading back to Nova Scotia soon -- from http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/pu ... 2926.shtml

THE INDUSTRY EYE: A mid-October production start has been set for Tom Selleck's next Jesse Stone CBS TV movie, "No Remorse." Selleck not only stars but has exec producer and writer credits on the production, which will location in Halifax. It'll be his sixth telepic featuring the laconic, booze-bedeviled small Massachusetts town police chief invented by mystery writer Robert B. Parker. (The fifth, "Thin Ice," is awaiting an air date.) As long as the ratings remain strong, they'll probably keep making more. As Selleck tells us, "I just love playing the guy. He's so flawed."

Kahunagirl

Lance White
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#9 Post by Lance White »

Does anybody else get a strong craving for a scotch when they watch these? I really liked the first few, but the whole thing with his ex-wife is getting old. They generally have some good twists to them though.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#10 Post by IslandHopper »

Lance White wrote:Does anybody else get a strong craving for a scotch when they watch these? I really liked the first few, but the whole thing with his ex-wife is getting old. They generally have some good twists to them though.
I agree LW. I like the Jesse Stone movies, but find the whole thing with the ex-wife very annoying. It reminds of that stupid recording of Magnum's fly-in girlfriend in "Thicker Than Blood" (I think) where she recites the recipe for that vile health drink with that irritating voice. I think that scene in that episode is one of the most annoying moments in MPI history.

Even though I don't like scotch, I agree with you about the scotch thing.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Lance White
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#11 Post by Lance White »

IslandHopper wrote:Even though I don't like scotch, I agree with you about the scotch thing.
I can't stand scotch, but watching him pour one every other scene :roll:

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Lily »

Have now bought and viewed all the Jesse Stone movies, so am caught right up to date. They really need to make a weekly series out of Jesse Stone, I am sure it would have a huge following.

layne
Vice Admiral

#13 Post by layne »

Looks like Tom is in Halifax right now filming the 6th one...

http://thechronicleherald.ca/ArtsLife/1084982.html

Wonder what happened to the goatee he just grew back? Didn't he have one at the Emmys?

Carmen
MPI

#14 Post by Carmen »

somehow that photo doesn`t look like a new one to me, can`t really explain, but... Any opinions??
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#15 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I saw a link somewhere this morning where he was filming the new one, but I have gone back through a couple of sites and can't find it. If I run into it again I'll post the link. (Sorry)