Jesse Stone

The novels & the movies

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

Jesse Stone

#1 Post by golfmobile »

For those of us awaiting the new Jesse Stone movie (which I thought was "Thin Ice," but apparently I was wrong), here's the blurb from Robert B. Parker's blog:
the fifth Jesse Stone Movie, an original called THIN EDGE, starring Tom Selleck again as Jesse Stone, is in post production (we Hollywood insiders refer to that simply as "post") and is expected to air in February.
golf
"Portside, buddy."

Kahunagirl
Vice Admiral

#2 Post by Kahunagirl »

golf --

I think you're correct and the name is actually "Thin Ice." That's how it appears everywhere on the Web.

On 8/28, movieweb.com provided the following synopsis:

"Jesse Stone: Thin Ice, starring Emmy and Golden Globe Award winner and current Emmy Award Nominee Tom Selleck (Magnum, P.I. and Jesse Stone: Sea Change), has started production in Halifax, Nova Scotia for broadcast on the CBS Television Network. Selleck reprises his role as Jesse Stone in the fifth installment of the Jesse Stone franchise from Sony Pictures Television...

"In Jesse Stone: Thin Ice, Paradise, Mass. Police Chief Jesse Stone finds himself in trouble with the Town Council when he inadvertently becomes involved in a shoot-out on a Boston street. His friend, State Homicide Commander Healy, is seriously wounded and Jesse comes under investigation by the Boston Police Department's Internal Affairs Division, which causes him to be away from Paradise for extended periods of time.

"Jesse further alienates the Council by firing the Paradise Police Department's most prodigious ticket writer, resulting in a considerable loss of revenue for the town. His issues with the Council are further exacerbated when a celebrated out of towner shows up in Paradise in search of her missing child, and Jesse agrees to take her case. His continued defiance of the Council's wishes now begins to jeopardize his very job.

"Emmy and Golden Globe Award winner Kathy Baker and Kohl Sudduth reprise their roles as the only police officers in Paradise. Stephen McHattie reprises his role as State Homicide Commander Healy, as does William Devane as Jesse's psychiatrist, Dr. Dix. Multiple Emmy and Golden Globe Award Winner Camryn Manheim (The Practice) joins the cast as Elizabeth Blue, a desperate woman in search of her child along with Emmy Winner Joanna Miles (The Glass Menagerie) as a woman in Paradise who helps Jesse with his search for the missing child and Leslie Hope (24), who stars as a beguiling and attractive internal affairs investigator."

Maybe Parker got the name wrong because "Jesse Stone: Thin Ice will be the first of the series that hasn't been directly adapted from the series of Robert B. Parker novels. This one is an original script based on the characters from the books. " as noted in a fairly lengthy article (almost as long as this post :lol: !) that appears at:
http://www.thecoast.ca/119805.113118bod ... en.subpub=

Looking forward to February -- I suspect/hope the Sea Chnage DVD will be released at about the same time!

kahunagirl

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#3 Post by golfmobile »

kahunagirl,

Thanks for that follow-up and additional information. I want "Sea Change" on DVD too -- I wish it were being shown on Hallmark the way the first three are! -- because I fell asleep while watching it because I knew I had it TiVo'ed and then I accidentally deleted it on TiVo before I got to watch it! So I haven't seen it all the way through! I was SO upset when I saw that I had done that. And I have been HOPING for a repeat showing, but alas, nothing so far. If it was so popular, why WON'T CBS repeat it, huh?

Therefore, looking forward to February -- now I have two DVRs so I'll get it on both so I don't mess up again!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Kahunagirl
Vice Admiral

#4 Post by Kahunagirl »

According to Amazon.com, the release date for the "Jesse Stone: Sea Change" DVD (in Region 1) is February 26, 2008! :D

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#5 Post by golfmobile »

I was able to download it via bit torrent and record it and watch it, so I have it now.

I just need someone to tell me how to use bit torrent files more efficiently. It tok 18 hours to download it! Sheesh!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#6 Post by rubber chicken »

If you're really wondering, a few things can determine BT speeds. The most important thing is probably the number of seeders there are. The more people who have the full file the faster you will be able to download it, and the older the torrent is (how long ago it was first started) the less people will generally still be seeding which slows things down.

Another main thing is how fast you're able to upload. The faster you upload the faster you download (usually).

You could have got to the torrent a while after it was started, or there could have been only a few people seeding, and those could have limited their upload rate. But you did get it, that's the important thing. :) Sometimes that's not possible.

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Miss Q »

Heads up !!

Looks likethey are re-running Jesse Stone: Sea Change on Dec 1st at 8pm EST on CBS

Enjoy :D
Miss Q
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

MBJR9
Commander

#8 Post by MBJR9 »

Thanks for the heads up Missy! I totally missed it the first time around and, like golf said, can't believe they no one has re-aired it. Again, THANKS!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#9 Post by golfmobile »

Right! But NOW they re-air it after I already spent 18 hours downloading it with Bit Torrent and have saved it to DVD.

MBJR9, if you miss it again, just let me know! I'll send you a DVD!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

MBJR9
Commander

#10 Post by MBJR9 »

Thanks golf! I should be able to watch/record it, but if for some reason I miss it I'll let ya know. Again, thanks for the offer!

Just curious, how good is the quality? I've used Bit Torrent to download a few shows/movies and it was kinda hit or miss; some looked like I had recorded them on my DVR and some were so grainy and choppy it was hard to tell what was going on.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#11 Post by golfmobile »

MB,

This one was fine. I know what you mean though. I haven't used Bit Torrent that much because it takes so long, but with MP3Rocket, I've gotten some real stinkers in terms of viewability. I really WANTED to see the movies I downloaded (don't even remember what they were now) but I just couldn't take the bad quality. One of the things I notice as being frequently bad is the sound is a half-second off -- so the movie looks like the "badly dubbed Italian potboilers" skits from SNL -- you see the mouth move and then you hear the dialogue. I usually don't watch TV/DVDs very closely because I'm usually doing something else (like sewing snaps on MGI's clothes) and the movie is sort of background noise and I just glance up occasionally to see the action that I'm listening to, so the off-dialogue doesn't bother me that much.

Worse case scenario for Sea Change, if you miss it: watch it as an .avi file on your computer. I can probably zip it and email the zipped file to you, if need be.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

MBJR9
Commander

#12 Post by MBJR9 »

Well, I finally was able to catch Sea Change on Saturday. Probably my favorite out of the series so far!

Kahunagirl
Vice Admiral

#13 Post by Kahunagirl »

If anyone is interested, I came across a Magnum PI Message Board on aetv.com, which contains a lot of information about the Halifax filming of the Jesse Stone movies, including "Thin Ice." I think it originallly turned up via a Google search, and then when I went back to look for it, I had a heckuva time finding it again -- had to drill down 4 or 5 layers -- so I'll make it easy and provide a direct link: http://boards.aetv.com/forum.jspa?forumID=18

James -- there's even a recent plug for your/our/this site in one of the message threads!

Kahunagirl