Jesse Stone

The novels & the movies

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

Jesse Stone

#1 Post by 308GTS »

Just received my first Jesse Stone DVD (Night Passage) and have also ordered the other two currently available here in the UK. Namely, Stone Cold and Death In Paradise.

I'm really looking forward to watching these but a little confused about the order they run in. From what I've read, Night Passage is the one to watch first and then Stone Cold and so on. Is this about right?

His character sounds really interesting, gritty, dark and far more serious then TM.

Can't wait...
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#2 Post by Shermy »

You've got the (chronological) order right: Night Passage, Stone Cold, Death in Paradise, Sea Change, Thin Ice.

Night Passage was technically the second film released, but it was a prequel. I'm not sure why they went that route, but I assume they weren't thinking too far ahead when they started out. I remember Selleck telling interviewers, "I told them it would be a series, but nobody believed me."

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#3 Post by Agatha »

You're in for a treat, 308GTS!

Can't wait to hear what you think!!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by 308GTS »

Ok, first impressions are good. I enjoyed the first in the series and lo and behold my other two DVD's arrived this morning. I could see elements of MPI in the Jesse Stone character, he could almost be TM some 20 years on!

One thing I did notice right away was that the Rolex watch he was wearing in the movie was exactly the same as in the later MPI episodes. He's obviously a fan of Rolex GMT watches.

Anyway, looking forward to the other two movies and then the fourth if it get's released here in the UK.
Arun
------

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#5 Post by Agatha »

I totally agree, 308GTS!

And, of course, Jesse is TS "some 20 years on." You'll recognize more elements of MPI as the "series" progresses. I bet you'll feel like you're spending time with an old friend that you haven't seen for a long, long time!

I'm jealous of how much fun you're going to be having. Hmmmm. Maybe I'll get mine out.....

Lt. Cook
Commander

#6 Post by Lt. Cook »

I'm half way through the series and I love it. I have to disagree that Jesse Stone is an older TM. JS is much more bitter and less lighthearted than TS. There are some TM-like attributes though: the distaste for bueaucratic rules and going "by the book" is very TM, along with the sense of right and wrong. There are moments you forget it is not TM. I actually started reading the books (which are pretty good), and this is a rare example of the films being better than the books.

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#7 Post by Agatha »

You're right, Lt Cook.

TS is happier and much more light hearted than Jesse. I think I was talking about looks. In the same way that TM WAS TS in Magnum...I feel like TS IS JS in Jesse Stone. I really identify him with the role he's playing. And I think I just get carried away by the fact that I'm SEEING him again after so long!

In fact, in the beginning, the Jesse Stone movies actually made me worry about TS for a while because I wasn't differentiating between the two and was afreaid that he wasn't very happy these days. But thanks to folks on this site posting recent pictures and interviews, I'm clear that he's the same great TS he's always been!

Glad you're enjoying Jesse, too!

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#8 Post by SelleckLover »

Agatha wrote:
In fact, in the beginning, the Jesse Stone movies actually made me worry about TS for a while because I wasn't differentiating between the two and was afreaid that he wasn't very happy these days.
I think that's what you call Academy Award Winning acting! He made you believe he WAS Jesse Stone! Selleck's so awesome and soooooo underrated as an actor. JMHO!

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#9 Post by Agatha »

You're SO right, SelleckLover!

Did you happen to catch the message that said No Remorse was scheduled to air during the Fall sweeps??? Our dream has come true!!

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#10 Post by SelleckLover »

Agatha wrote:
Our dream has come true!!
Awesome!!!! (Sigh)

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by 308GTS »

Ok, so watched Stone Cold last night. A great episode and far more exciting than the first one. Very sad that Abby had to get shot and killed by that loon (Nile's girlfriend Mel in Frasier). A good solid all around show. Hopefully we'll get all of them released on DVD here in the UK.
Arun
------

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#12 Post by golfmobile »

Stone Cold is on Hallmark channel tonight (Sat., May 23) at 6 p.m., if anyone needs to catch it (AND you catch this post in time!)

golf
"Portside, buddy."

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by 308GTS »

Thin Ice also on DVD here in the UK, looks like they may all get released. It's obvious to everyone except those dimwits in Hollywood that Mr Selleck is still very popular.
Arun
------

jenelia
Ensign

#14 Post by jenelia »

The Jesse Stone novels are a series of detective novels written by Robert B. Parker, featuring his fictional creation Jesse Stone.

Jeffrey
Vice Admiral

#15 Post by Jeffrey »

I love the movies so far. Just saw Thin Ice.

My father joined me on the last 5 minutes of it, and told me he found it boring and very sad.

I told him he shouldnt judge over only 5 minutes, and without knowing what the story behind it is. He told me I was wrong about that...
TM "Rick wasn't overly enthusiastic about my plan. He thought it had some holes in it, and he was afraid they would end up in him...
I told him that was ridiculous."