Where do I begin?

The novels & the movies

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

Where do I begin?

#1 Post by lutherhgillis »

I haven't been 'Stone-d' yet. Where do I begin? Can you buy the DVDs of the movies?

Gracias.
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Sam »

Hi Luther,
You can buy four episodes from DeepDiscounts for under 10 bucks.

http://search.deepdiscount.com/search?w=tom%20selleck&

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#3 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I haven't read the books, but the movies are entertaining. If you don't want to buy them Netflix is always a option.

Carmen
MPI

#4 Post by Carmen »

Remember to start with 'Night Passage' (2006) and watch 'Stone Cold' (2005) then, so you have the story in the right chronology
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by lutherhgillis »

Gracias.

Carmen
MPI

#6 Post by Carmen »

De nada
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by lutherhgillis »

I got Stone-d last night! I watched Night Passage and it was great. I liked the fact that he used the 1911 for his firearm. I also like the fact that he emphasized a BLUE cap for his PPD squad hat. I think these are ties to his personal likes just as they were in MPI.

OK, here we go. I think Jesse Stone is another example of TS being himself in a role. It was smooth and appeared effortless on his part. It was not like the silly movies he made in the 80s and 90s when he was obvisouly acting.

Another thing. To me, AJ Cooper and Jesse Stone are the same person. He played each role the exact same way. I believe this is because he is playing himself and not acting...What do you think?

grapeshot
Vice Admiral

#8 Post by grapeshot »

There are two ways to look at how an actor does his/her work. One is that they "become" the character that they are playing, and the other is that they play themselves AS that character. Spencer Tracy would become the character that he played, while Clark Gable played Clark Gable playing as the character. Meryl Streep becomes the character that she's playing, while Julia Roberts plays Julia Roberts as the character. For the audience, both approaches can be equally entertaining.

By the way, both are hard to do, so I'm not implying any disrespect. And it doesn't mean that the acting doesn't create the correct emotional impact that's required for the role and for the story. Clint Eastwood, for example, usually plays himself playing a character, but his roles aren't any less affecting because of this.

This also doesn't mean that you or I are seeing the real person behind that character that they're playing. It's actually more like Clint Eastwood (or Tom Selleck or Clark Gable, or whoever) is playing their public persona playing the character.

If you want to see Tom Selleck playing outside of his persona, I suggest you take a look at his movie Innocent Man, where he has some scenes which call for more emotional displays than what we're used to seeing from him. I also thought that with his guest role in Friends he created a person somewhat different than the Tom Selleck persona that we usually see. There is no doubt in my mind that he has considerable acting chops, and that if the role calls for it, he can be a fearless actor.

Having said all this, it can also be said that there is a certain sameness to a lot of the roles that Selleck plays. This is a function of how the characters are written, not necessarily how they're acted. After all, the hero characters in most Westerns are pretty much the same guy, time and time again. However, I don't see much resemblance between the dark, hard drinking Jesse Stone, or the fast living AJ Cooper -- apart from a somewhat similar wry sense of humor.