So you're a Magnum fan? Then what kind of car do you drive?

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

eagle
Fleet Admiral

Re: So you're a Magnum fan? Then what kind of car do you drive?

#121 Post by eagle »

I remember the Jetta Trek — I wanted a Jetta since around 1990.... took me 13 years to get it. Mine came off the showroom floor, within 8 miles on the clock. Sold after 17.5 years of ownership, with 165k. I had a rare gem of a VW, for it hardly gave me any trouble.

damrod
Ensign

#122 Post by damrod »

Not a Ferrari. But I manage.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#123 Post by Pahonu »

I described my old VW camper van several years ago on this thread. It’s an 88 Westfalia. Here’s a few pics and an image my wife created from a camping trip photo:

https://ibb.co/7j8mjZ2
https://ibb.co/kMcnf0K
https://ibb.co/vQWQpb5

I’m clearly closest to TC in my car-vibe.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#124 Post by eagle »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:58 am I described my old VW camper van several years ago on this thread. It’s an 88 Westfalia. Here’s a few pics and an image my wife created from a camping trip photo:

OH MAN - THAT IS SO AWESOME! My wife has wanted a T1 since she was a teen, and we have long wanted a T3 Westie. That is so awesome. Did you ever see Kirsten Dirksen's documentary of a family trip in a T3 Westie? It's one of our favorite videos.

Pahonu

#125 Post by Pahonu »

eagle wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:11 am
Pahonu wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:58 am I described my old VW camper van several years ago on this thread. It’s an 88 Westfalia. Here’s a few pics and an image my wife created from a camping trip photo:

OH MAN - THAT IS SO AWESOME! My wife has wanted a T1 since she was a teen, and we have long wanted a T3 Westie. That is so awesome. Did you ever see Kirsten Dirksen's documentary of a family trip in a T3 Westie? It's one of our favorite videos.
I haven’t seen it, but I’ll take a look, thanks! I have read and seen lots of stories on #vanlife in the last few years. It’s really growing.

To be honest, we just use it for camping and that was our original plan when we bought it used about 14 years ago. There was no #vanlife at the time. I fixed it up and we have done about 70-75 trips in it over the years, some close, others to different states. My wife and I are both high school teachers so we use it a lot each summer. My kids are adults now but grew up camping in it.

One benefit of the growing popularity is the value has gone way up. I bought it used for $5500 years ago and had a guy offer me 10k cash after looking it over at a VW show in Huntington Beach two years ago. I don’t want to sell and just keep using it for camping, but it’s nice to know I can get something for it whenever I’m read to part with it.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#126 Post by eagle »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:36 pmI haven’t seen it, but I’ll take a look, thanks! I have read and seen lots of stories on #vanlife in the last few years. It’s really growing.

To be honest, we just use it for camping and that was our original plan when we bought it used about 14 years ago. There was no #vanlife at the time. I fixed it up and we have done about 70-75 trips in it over the years, some close, others to different states. My wife and I are both high school teachers so we use it a lot each summer. My kids are adults now but grew up camping in it.

One benefit of the growing popularity is the value has gone way up. I bought it used for $5500 years ago and had a guy offer me 10k cash after looking it over at a VW show in Huntington Beach two years ago. I don’t want to sell and just keep using it for camping, but it’s nice to know I can get something for it whenever I’m read to part with it.
Do check it out. Kirsten has some great stuff on her site.

Also, we don't yet do anything "vanlife," but we do have a 19" travel trailer that we use frequently, pulled by our Chevy Suburban. That's 5 people and 1 pug in a 19' trailer, which is pretty tight. But we love it.

When we retire, we hope that Westies are still a thing, and we can get one and travel that way. If not, maybe we get a Jeep Wrangler and a T@B or something like that.

Pahonu

#127 Post by Pahonu »

eagle wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:41 pm
Pahonu wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:36 pmI haven’t seen it, but I’ll take a look, thanks! I have read and seen lots of stories on #vanlife in the last few years. It’s really growing.

Do check it out. Kirsten has some great stuff on her site.

Also, we don't yet do anything "vanlife," but we do have a 19" travel trailer that we use frequently, pulled by our Chevy Suburban. That's 5 people and 1 pug in a 19' trailer, which is pretty tight. But we love it.

When we retire, we hope that Westies are still a thing, and we can get one and travel that way. If not, maybe we get a Jeep Wrangler and a T@B or something like that.
Sounds like a good time even if it is a little tight! For a while, we were two adults and two high school “adults” in the 15 foot Westy which was very tight, but we also loved it. It seems so roomy now with just my wife and I now. My parents’ had a truck and camper when I was a kid and my wife camped in a trailer when she was younger. The one thing we love about the Westy that we didn’t even consider when we got it is that it’s the same length as a car. We can park it anywhere. Several times when we have camped with friends with trailers, we have left the campsite and gone into town to explore the area. We could just park in any spot and go poke around. Our friends headed home because where do you park a 30 foot motor home or a fifth-wheel in Santa Barbara or San Francisco? My wife and I have also “stealth” camped a couple of times lately, recently in Laguna Beach. We just parked in the street with all the other cars and later slept in the back after a great day and night out. The next morning we went out for some breakfast and headed home.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#128 Post by charybdis1966 »

As a teenager watching the series while I grew up I would literally drool at the sight of the red 308GTS, but once I got to driving age I flirted with various brands, initially Datsun then Volkswagen and then Citroen and Peugeot(French ? What was I thinking?) before I settled on what would become a passion, namely the Swedish marque(Saab - Svenska Aeroplan Atktie Bolaget) and I owned various Saabs for about 15 years till late 2020 when, as Saab had been defunct for a decade by then, I returned to German cars, Mercedes.

If money allowed I'd snap up a Robin-1 in a shot, but that's not going to happen. :(

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#129 Post by Aloha Friday »

Today, a black 2014 Camaro SS, similar to the one on the Hawaii Five-O reboot. When Magnum PI was on, I had a 1976 Fiat Spider...red of course. It was Italian and fun, but no Ferrari.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#130 Post by Reef monkey »

I drive a dark grey 2017 Mazda 6 Touring. I know, not super Magnum-like, but at least it is a manual transmission (stick shift), so I can get a little Magnum feel when I drive it.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

Pahonu

#131 Post by Pahonu »

Reef monkey wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:52 pm I drive a dark grey 2017 Mazda 6 Touring. I know, not super Magnum-like, but at least it is a manual transmission (stick shift), so I can get a little Magnum feel when I drive it.
Hey Reef Monkey,
Good to hear from you! It’s been a while.

Still paddling in the Galveston area? I did a LOT here in Long Beach during the lockdown phase of the pandemic, that and some solo sails. There was no better social distancing at the time! :lol:

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#132 Post by Reef monkey »

Hey Pahonu, yeah still paddling and sailing. Bought my daughter a standup paddle board for her birthday this month and today will be her maiden voyage on it (if I can get her to stop binge watching the recently released season of Stranger Things). Yeah, being on the water, and hiking were my sanity during lockdown. There is a reservoir near my house (it’s mostly dry, intended for flood detention, with lots of trails through the woods in it, it was easy to get lost (in a good way) in it, be outside safely away from people, great for the sanity.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#133 Post by Chris109 »

For 18 years, I drove a maroon 2000 Mitsushitzy Eclipse GT. Just sold it 2 years ago.

Now, I drive an 2017 MKZ, which is a...

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#134 Post by Aloha Friday »

Lincoln Hayes!
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#135 Post by T.Q. »

My old image was deleted when Photobucket held all the pics hostage.

So here's a new picture since I had my Mustang re-painted.

1994 Ford Mustang GT.

She still runs great.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.