So you're a Magnum fan? Then what kind of car do you drive?

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: So you're a Magnum fan? Then what kind of car do you dr

#106 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:Is that your Porsche? Nice! And nice vintage-style wheels. I remember seeing wheels like that on a Porsche back in 1994. It was an 80's 911 and it was for sale for $6000. I was going to buy it, but then said, "Nah, that's too much for an old car." Those were the days.
Yeah. Fuchs. Classic Porsche wheels. Sweet ride, amigo!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

robicurp
Lieutenant Commander

#107 Post by robicurp »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:Is that your Porsche? Nice! And nice vintage-style wheels. I remember seeing wheels like that on a Porsche back in 1994. It was an 80's 911 and it was for sale for $6000. I was going to buy it, but then said, "Nah, that's too much for an old car." Those were the days.
Thanks,
$6K for an 80's 911 Carrera would be sweet!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#108 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Yes, it's one of my three horrible "missed opportunities" with car purchases. I also passed on a 1967 Firebird for $4000 and a 1969 Mustang Fastback for $5000. I have an excuse though. I was moving 4500km away and didn't know how I could transport extra cars cheaply.

If I could go back in time, I'd buy them all. All three of those cars are now very valuable.

robicurp
Lieutenant Commander

#109 Post by robicurp »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:Yes, it's one of my three horrible "missed opportunities" with car purchases. I also passed on a 1967 Firebird for $4000 and a 1969 Mustang Fastback for $5000. I have an excuse though. I was moving 4500km away and didn't know how I could transport extra cars cheaply.

If I could go back in time, I'd buy them all. All three of those cars are now very valuable.
Absolutely

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#110 Post by ☨magnum.t »

That reminds me of the time....

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

Re: So you're a Magnum fan? Then what kind of car do you drive?

#111 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

The only way I'll be able to get a Ferrari is to get a scale model.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#112 Post by eagle »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:56 pm The only way I'll be able to get a Ferrari is to get a scale model.
Same here, something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-Car-Scal ... 1195.m1851

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#113 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

eagle wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:04 pm
Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:56 pm The only way I'll be able to get a Ferrari is to get a scale model.
Same here, something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-Car-Scal ... 1195.m1851
Yeah, but something's not quite right about it. I need to find one with real leather seats and a metal gated shifter. I'll keep looking. :P

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#114 Post by 80s Big Hair »

Not to brag, but I drive about in a 2003 Volvo S40 sedan. It has it all, including a non-turbo charged 4-cylinder engine, a headliner held to the roof with stick pins, non-funtioning air conditioning and radio, low profile tires perfect for ruining your tires and rims in Chicago, and a rear spoiler. At first I questioned why a rear spoiler would be beneficial on a front wheel drive car, but then I realized that the car is easily mistaken for a high end race car. Many a time I have walked right passed it when looking for the car in a parking lot because I was looking for a crapmobile, and not a Swedish supercar. My reasons for not posting a picture of it are twofold. 1) You are probably jealous enough without me rubbing your noses further in the glory of the car. 2) It is covered in snow and it is cold outside and I am not much into Arctic exploration.

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#115 Post by 80s Big Hair »

Due to overwhelming nonexistent demand by the good people of Magnum-Mania! I decided to give in and post a picture of the Swedish supercar mentioned above. The picture was taken shortly before midnight and believe it or not the driveway had been shoveled and the car cleared of snow three times yesterday. About 6-9 more inches of the evil white stuff are expected by noon today. Where to put it? It is best for me to pretend that I drive a Ferrari 308 in Oahu I think.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#116 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

80s Big Hair wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:28 am Due to overwhelming nonexistent demand by the good people of Magnum-Mania! I decided to give in and post a picture of the Swedish supercar mentioned above. The picture was taken shortly before midnight and believe it or not the driveway had been shoveled and the car cleared of snow three times yesterday. About 6-9 more inches of the evil white stuff are expected by noon today. Where to put it? It is best for me to pretend that I drive a Ferrari 308 in Oahu I think.
Man, that is one high-performance snow bank. My snow bank is absolute crap compared to that.

It's so Ferrari-like, I can hear the Magnum theme music in my head. (...or is it The Incredible Hulk music?)

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#117 Post by ConchRepublican »

80s Big Hair wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:28 am Due to overwhelming nonexistent demand by the good people of Magnum-Mania! I decided to give in and post a picture of the Swedish supercar mentioned above. The picture was taken shortly before midnight and believe it or not the driveway had been shoveled and the car cleared of snow three times yesterday. About 6-9 more inches of the evil white stuff are expected by noon today. Where to put it? It is best for me to pretend that I drive a Ferrari 308 in Oahu I think.

:lol: :lol: Well done!

We're still riding in the Nissan Pathfinder . . . 2010 with less than 53k miles. Yup, NYC driving.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#118 Post by eagle »

About 2 years ago, I sold my 2003 VW Jetta 1.8T, and now I have a 2013 VW Jetta TDI. Both were silver w/ black leather interior... old one was a manual transmission, new one has the DSG. Not exactly a Magnum car, but at least it's a VW, right? :magnum: :D

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#119 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

eagle wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:52 pm About 2 years ago, I sold my 2003 VW Jetta 1.8T, and now I have a 2013 VW Jetta TDI. Both were silver w/ black leather interior... old one was a manual transmission, new one has the DSG. Not exactly a Magnum car, but at least it's a VW, right? :magnum: :D
My "Robin 2" car is a 2011 Jetta 2.5L, black with tan leather (not the fake leather). It was the first year of the redesign. (I bought it new in 2011, but had to wait 5 months before the damn thing was available. They made tan leather interior extremely difficult to get, for some unknown reason.)

I'm surprised that the US has "SE", "SEL" (and whatever other versions) while Canada has European-like naming of just 2.0 or 2.5. I've always wondered about those DX, LX, LTD, and other extra junk letters on cars from the US. I think it has to do with that American tradition of always trying to beat your neighbour with a better model of something. "I've got the SEL, and he's only got the crappy SE model!" (...that's my theory, anyway :D )

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#120 Post by 80s Big Hair »

Coincidentally enough, I am also the proud owner of a Jetta. Mine is a 1996 Trek (I think). Jetta Treks were built between 1995 and 1997 so it is a good guess. The gimmick was that they came with a Trek mountain bike. It was a lot of fun to drive until the engine lost a boat load of compression, but then I find most manual transmission cars fun to drive. It is in worse shape than the Volvo, but gets garage treatment. The rationale for this is that the locks do not work on the Jetta. Not sure why someone would want to steal a 90s Jetta, but whatever. I sort of like the Volvo in the driveway as it is easier to shovel out than having to do the length of the driveway.