Football(soccer) Thread

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Icepick
Admiral

Football(soccer) Thread

#1 Post by Icepick »

With Euro 2008 upon us I thought I would ask who is a fan of footy? Do you have a favourite club or country? We also have a lot of friendlies this week with international football. England takes on the USA at Wembley tomorrow!

From a national standpoint I'm an England supporter, though we horrifically didn't make Euro so I will just avoid that discussion. We are starting a pool with some friends so I will have to pick a country to go for in Euro 2008. I think I will go with Sweden and then Holland, though my money would be on another team winning.

As for club level I support Arsenal and Toronto FC.
Icepick - Does it ever occur to you that you are always having to bail your friend Magnum out of trouble?

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#2 Post by SelleckLover »

Sorry, I was born without a "sport-loving gene". I've had people try to explain what being a sports fan is, but I just don't "get" it! Sorry! :(

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#3 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I don't know a whole lot about the "beautiful game", but I will be more than happy to talk about American football come August. Maybe TM can tell us how the Middies are going to do this year?

Carmen
MPI

#4 Post by Carmen »

Okay, I am from Germany, so I guess Soccer it shall be - but, no - our whole family is completely "basketball-nuts"
We`ll watch the Euro 2008 surely, but more interesting are the playoffs now :D We live close to Nowitzkis hometown here, so my sons watched him playing 11 years ago when he wasn`t MVP, but one great player.
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

I love soccer, but I don't get a chance to watch it very often. I watch the World Cup and the occasional English Premier League and UEFA Champions League game. Don't really have a favorite club/team other than the U.S. National Team.

I recently saw the UEFA Champions League Final between Manchester United and Chelsea. Man, that was one heck of a game! It doesn't get much better than that! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Icepick
Admiral

#6 Post by Icepick »

^That was one fantastic match....an all England final! I chewed off a few nails.

Amazing to think that about 10 of those starting players on those clubs normally start for England. England is basically Chelsea and Man Utd. You would have thought that England could have qualified for Euro. Other factors in the mix though.

If you want to watch England v USA today, I think in the US you have it on ESPN Classic. If not you can watch it on the internet by going to myp2p.eu and they will have links where you can stream it. It starts at 20.05 BST or 15.05 EST.
Icepick - Does it ever occur to you that you are always having to bail your friend Magnum out of trouble?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

England 2 USA 0

Beautiful curling kick by Beckham to set up Terry for a header. Nice goal by Gerrard.

Can't be too upset, as England is my #2 team. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Carmen
MPI

#8 Post by Carmen »

You know what an English jounalist said about soccer? (I think it was a journalist, but I know he was English):
"Football is a match were 22 players are running after one ball and in the end Germany wins"
***Ouch, don`t throw that hard, Carmen screams while hiding behind her screen* :wink:

Vanity
Rear Admiral

#9 Post by Vanity »

Carmen, although I must say that Germany stands very strongly as a potential winner of the Euro 2008, I have to stand behind the French national team. After all, without our "scarface" what would the Bayern München have become ??? 8)

Let it simply be a nice Euro, nice games and if I hear the Marseillaise at the end of the final game I'll be happy with it :lol:
I know what you're thinking...

Carmen
MPI

#10 Post by Carmen »

Ha!!! Open war here!!!

:wink: Now honestly, I don`t think Germany can win this Euro, but sometimes even more unexpected things happened,,,,

Vanity
Rear Admiral

#11 Post by Vanity »

As I was born in Germany I won't mind too much if you guys win. But you know how patriotic French can be :wink:
Let's have an Old Düsseldorf and enjoy the game
I know what you're thinking...

Carmen
MPI

#12 Post by Carmen »

Scotch on the rocks for me, please

Carmen
MPI

#13 Post by Carmen »

Tonight it´s Germany vs Turkey and a I am really afraid of what`ll happen here afterwards. Our neighbours are from Turkey and we are joking about the Euro 08 all the time, but todays local papers are filled up with "good advices and hints" about how to behave and that it´s just sports and nothing to fight over. There`s a rumour our small town police of 15 will be raised to 80 tonight.

Icepick
Admiral

#14 Post by Icepick »

^I was watching the news and it seems they have a lot of police out in case of any violence. On the one hand all you hear in the media is from Turkish fans saying it's not about integration, it's about football. So says them, but I'd like to hear from what is actually being thought from Germans on the street. Sure it's football but some I'm sure will take a loss differently. On both sides.

It should be an exciting match tomorrow, but Turkey has so many players out 'cause of suspension or injured. Germany the favourite, should pass through this to the Final. But you never know, on any given Sunday a team can win it from a collective spirit.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Coops »

What the heck is this 'soccer' you all are talking about?

Hehehe...