6%
2000 or later
No votes

Total votes: 34

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

How Old Are We?

#1 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

I've been wondering what the correlation -- if any -- might be between one's generation and the likelihood that one is a Magnum fan. (You can vote without creating a post if you prefer to be anonymous. :wink: )

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Little Garwood »

I was born in 1971 (as I *just now* posted on my Hawaii Five-O thread! :lol: ) And while I'm not from Magnum's generation, I was at that wonderfully impressionable age and MPI was *my* show growing up. :wink:

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#3 Post by Doc Ibold »

I was born in '79, so I GUESS you could tab me in the "Lily" Generation

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#4 Post by SelleckLover »

I won't reveal my age, but my first car was a 1961 Chevrolet Corvair, with a 4 cylinder air cooled rear mounted engine. Every once in a while it wouldn't start and I had to bang on the alternator or generator, I can't remember which, with a Coke bottle and then it would start. It was a 3 speed stick shift with a bench seat and a dashboard made out of what seemed to me to be really heavy cardboard...(!) Everyone used to kid me about having 2 chipmunks on a treadmill for an engine because it was considered a really, really small car. (Wow, I remember a lot about that car!) :D I had a pair of really cool jeans that I hand embroidered (I was a good flower child!) and my mother threw them away one day while I was at school because she said it made me "look like a bum". LOL (This was in the days when public schools had dress codes and you couldn't wear jeans to school.) There were no copy machines so we had to make copies on a typewriter with carbon paper, no cell phones, iPods, Walkmans, MP3 players...there was only AM radio to listen to for music. (The Corvair had no radio in it.)

Geez...it sounds so primitive now, even to me! :D :D

Carmen
MPI

#5 Post by Carmen »

Okay, I was born 1965, my whole family loves to watch MPI, so let`s go on with the dates. Husband 1965 too and my sons where born 1990, 1993, 2002 and 2004. I can add my Dad as a fan (not as big, but anyway) born 1942.
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

Vanity
Rear Admiral

#6 Post by Vanity »

I was born in 1970 - had the right age to watch the show as soon as it aired, one year and two days later than in the US.
I know what you're thinking...

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

I'm pushing the big 4-0. Good heavens! :shock: I was at various stages of teenage wasteland during the show's initial run. The show was a rock of stability and grounding during an otherwise crazy time for me.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Little Garwood »

SelleckLover wrote: There were no copy machines so we had to make copies on a typewriter with carbon paper, no cell phones, iPods, Walkmans, MP3 players...there was only AM radio to listen to for music. (The Corvair had no radio in it.)

Geez...it sounds so primitive now, even to me! :D :D
LOL I have an obsession with what I call "Clunky Technology." Stuff from the 1960s-70s (and before) that was unwieldy, large with various handles, dials, and switches that served only a few purposes. Reel-to-Reel tape recorders...Mission: Impossible is a goldmine for stuff like this, as is Hawaii Five-O. Seems to me that gadgets should be obvious and not-so slick. They're more fun to see in action!

SelleckLover

#9 Post by SelleckLover »

Case in point, Little Garwood...the cordless phone Magnum uses every once in a while looks like a brick with an antenna on it! LOL :D

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#10 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

James J. Walters wrote:I'm pushing the big 4-0. Good heavens! :shock: I was at various stages of teenage wasteland during the show's initial run. The show was a rock of stability and grounding during an otherwise crazy time for me.
James I think that would describe quite a few of us on here. I just turned 39 in March. During Magnum's run the show was kind of a get away from craziness. In fact, I still look at the show as a way to get away for a little while.

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

SelleckLover wrote:I had a pair of really cool jeans that I hand embroidered (I was a good flower child!) and my mother threw them away one day while I was at school because she said it made me "look like a bum". LOL (This was in the days when public schools had dress codes and you couldn't wear jeans to school.) There were no copy machines so we had to make copies on a typewriter with carbon paper, ... there was only AM radio to listen to for music.
Hey, SL, you must be younger than me (I'm about 6 weeks older than Tom Selleck, which is to say a year or two older than Magnum -- depending on which of his birthdates you believe). By the time embroidered jeans were popular, I had my own apartment (with roommates), so my wardrobe was safe from Mom (who *had* thrown away my stash of Mad magazines!).

I was a high-school teacher then, and as you said, nobody could wear jeans to school -- girls couldn't even wear slacks, and teachers were expected to dress like grown-ups. Xerox machines were just coming in, but the school didn't have one yet, so I ran off my tests on a "ditto" machine, technically known as a spirit duplicator -- the freshly-made copies still smelled like the solvent used, so the kids would "sniff" them. FM radio was the latest thing, but only old people listened to it then, because all they played was classical music.

SelleckLover

#12 Post by SelleckLover »

Yeah, Carol...I said I wouldn't reveal my age -- but I guess I will now. I'm 56, soon to be 57 or "pushing sixty". (UGH!) My husband is just turned 63 in March. (He was born in 1945 approx. 2 months after Mr Selleck.) He spent 4 years in VietNam, on the flight deck of the aircraft carrier USS Constellation. BTW, the flight deck of an aircraft carrier is the MOST dangerous 4 acres in the WORLD. The fact that he came home alive is a miracle!

Carmen
MPI

#13 Post by Carmen »

Hey Carol, I can remember sniffing them copys!! :lol:

Once I received an e-mail about "good old times", describing childhood back in the 60th and 70th. It was mostly about friendship and how we where raised back then without permanent parental control by cell phones, no computers, playing in the streets till sundown, climbing trees, having fights (again without parents involved)
My kids can`t believe the only time to watch TV for me at the age of 5 or 6 was daily between 5.00 and 6.00 pm, (in Germany we had 3 channels to choose back then, and only from 5.00 untill midnight)
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

AJL
Commander

#14 Post by AJL »

23, seems to be the youngest around here :wink:
Was vaccinated with a phonograph needle one summer break
Same summer that I kissed her on her daddy's boat
And shot across the lake
Singing all the way...
Oh I say mama
Living Ain't a luxury
Oh I say mama
And a lil' ain't enough for me

sophia
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by sophia »

Hey, Sellecklover
We already knew your age anyway.
You told us how old you were in 1980 in the Magnum experiences post.
I was born the same year as your first car. :lol:
I haven't thought about my first car in years.
It was a Chevrolet Impala.
I called it my tank. You could get lots of friends in that car and it could really fly.