Moderator: Styles Bitchley

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

NHL Playoffs

#1 Post by T.Q. »

Any die-hard hockey fans?

Who ya rootin’ for? Who’s your team?

#GoJetsGo
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: NHL Playoffs

#2 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:52 pm Any die-hard hockey fans?

#GoJetsGo
Go Sixers!! Go!! Woohoo!! :D

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#3 Post by Styles Bitchley »

No so die hard anymore. Unfortunately, I'm a Leafs fan, so it's hard to stick with it. :lol:

I used to be a much more ardent fan back in the Pat Quinn and Pat Burns eras. I'll watch round 1, but it's a bit like dating a girl who always cheats on you. I see her putting on that little black dress...I'm an idiot so I keep thinking it's for me...but she's going out with her friends again. :wink:
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by T.Q. »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:48 pm

#GoJetsGo
UGH. :lol:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by T.Q. »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:32 pm No so die hard anymore. Unfortunately, I'm a Leafs fan, so it's hard to stick with it. :lol:

I used to be a much more ardent fan back in the Pat Quinn and Pat Burns eras. I'll watch round 1, but it's a bit like dating a girl who always cheats on you. I see her putting on that little black dress...I'm an idiot so I keep thinking it's for me...but she's going out with her friends again. :wink:
I stopped being in LEAFS fan after '93 (?) when they lost to the LA Kings and went downhill. I didn't stick with the re-build years.

Then the JETS 2.0 came back and it was bye forever to the Loafs.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Chris109 »

Used to be a HUGE Canadiens fan. I remember when they were really good in the 70's-80's. But as I got older, I got tired of the non-stop cheap shots and pushing after every whistle. I didn't even know they were in the finals 2 years ago until after the season was over. When all that crap went down a few years ago, I said to myself, "Self, the first time I see any team kneel, is the last time I watch the sport." Haven't watched anything in a long time. Granted, I do, sort of, watch the NFL, but that is only because a friend of mine puts out a huge spread of food. Don't know who is who in football anymore, but, I will go anywhere for a free meal.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#7 Post by Pahonu »

Chris109 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:50 pm Used to be a HUGE Canadiens fan. I remember when they were really good in the 70's-80's. But as I got older, I got tired of the non-stop cheap shots and pushing after every whistle. I didn't even know they were in the finals 2 years ago until after the season was over. When all that crap went down a few years ago, I said to myself, "Self, the first time I see any team kneel, is the last time I watch the sport." Haven't watched anything in a long time. Granted, I do, sort of, watch the NFL, but that is only because a friend of mine puts out a huge spread of food. Don't know who is who in football anymore, but, I will go anywhere for a free meal.
My father followed the Habs from his childhood in Quebec, Canada in the 30’s and 40’s until his passing almost a decade ago. Their heyday was not in the 70’s and 80’s by any stretch. They had won over a dozen Cups before the 70’s even started. Several forum members here made me aware that they had returned to the finals two years ago and for that, I am grateful. It brought back many wonderful memories, though I never really followed the sport, other than for my father’s enthusiasm. Sorry you no longer watch the sport and only watch the NFL for the food. There’s plenty of excitement in sport if you don’t take the politics personally.

Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:49 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:48 pm

#GoJetsGo
UGH. :lol:
The Sixers have been contenders for a few years now but always end up coming short. Well, this year it looks like they may have a real shot, with Embiid and Harden leading the way! Just need to get past the Celtics and the Bucks and make it to the Finals. Should be smooth sailing then. We're better than any Western conference team so whoever we face in the Finals we should have the edge over them.

As for the NHL it's no fun following it when the Flyers are such a crappy team. I used to be a MAJOR fan, especially back in the 90s during the Lindros/LeClair/Renberg era.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Chris109 »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:27 am
Chris109 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:50 pm Used to be a HUGE Canadiens fan. I remember when they were really good in the 70's-80's. But as I got older, I got tired of the non-stop cheap shots and pushing after every whistle. I didn't even know they were in the finals 2 years ago until after the season was over. When all that crap went down a few years ago, I said to myself, "Self, the first time I see any team kneel, is the last time I watch the sport." Haven't watched anything in a long time. Granted, I do, sort of, watch the NFL, but that is only because a friend of mine puts out a huge spread of food. Don't know who is who in football anymore, but, I will go anywhere for a free meal.
My father followed the Habs from his childhood in Quebec, Canada in the 30’s and 40’s until his passing almost a decade ago. Their heyday was not in the 70’s and 80’s by any stretch. They had won over a dozen Cups before the 70’s even started. Several forum members here made me aware that they had returned to the finals two years ago and for that, I am grateful. It brought back many wonderful memories, though I never really followed the sport, other than for my father’s enthusiasm. Sorry you no longer watch the sport and only watch the NFL for the food. There’s plenty of excitement in sport if you don’t take the politics personally.
I didn't say their heyday was in the 70's/80's. I was around in the 70's, not the 40's. They won 6 Cups in the 70's and 4 Cups in a row bw '75-'79 and were consistent in the 80's, winning 1 Cup in '86.
It was always funny when I followed the NHL, Barry Melrose would do analysis, or something, on BSPN and HATED the Habs cause they beat the Kings in '93 because of Marty McSorley's too much of a bent stick blade. Melrose would always bash them to no end.

And yes, I do take the politics personally. You have multi-millionaires complain about America and all it has done for them, and then they bash the very thing that made them wealthy.

Styles Bitchley

#10 Post by Styles Bitchley »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:35 am I used to be a MAJOR fan, especially back in the 90s during the Lindros/LeClair/Renberg era.
I used to know Lindros a bit back in high school. We played at the same home arena and our high schools were just a few blocks away. Not good friends, but always in the same orbit.

One thing I'll say about the Leafs: they're consistent. Ugh.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Chris109 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:01 pm And yes, I do take the politics personally. You have multi-millionaires complain about America and all it has done for them, and then they bash the very thing that made them wealthy.
Well said. Unfortunately everything is political today. People ought to look at guys like Michael Jordan who just played the game for the love of the game and refused to be tangled in any politics. It's funny to see commentators today bash Jordan for not getting involved in stuff like Rodney King and other stuff that took place back then. :lol: I think he even got bashed for supporting the GOP or something like that (Bush Sr. I think) which was basically nothing more than some sort of a tongue-in-cheek ad for Nike I think. In reality he wasn't supporting any candidate. But the "powers that be" always try to make things political and try to get players to take sides, even if the players aren't interested in taking any side.

Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:54 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:35 am I used to be a MAJOR fan, especially back in the 90s during the Lindros/LeClair/Renberg era.
I used to know Lindros a bit back in high school. We played at the same home arena and our high schools were just a few blocks away. Not good friends, but always in the same orbit.

One thing I'll say about the Leafs: they're consistent. Ugh.
Hey, that's really cool! :) I guess you're from London, Ontario?

Styles Bitchley

#13 Post by Styles Bitchley »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:18 pm Hey, that's really cool! :) I guess you're from London, Ontario?
Toronto, actually. When I knew him, he was at North Toronto Collegiate.

- J.Q.H.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Chris109 »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:32 pm No so die hard anymore. Unfortunately, I'm a Leafs fan, so it's hard to stick with it. :lol:

Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Not sure why you guys are complaining about the Maple Leafs. At least they regularly make the playoffs. Unlike my Flyers where it's been a dry spell for a few years now.