NHL Playoffs

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: NHL Playoffs

#16 Post by Styles Bitchley »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:24 pm Not sure why you guys are complaining about the Maple Leafs. At least they regularly make the playoffs. Unlike my Flyers where it's been a dry spell for a few years now.
Flyers won the Cup in ‘75…at least I was born then. Not so for the Leafs.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Chris109 »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:24 pm Not sure why you guys are complaining about the Maple Leafs. At least they regularly make the playoffs. Unlike my Flyers where it's been a dry spell for a few years now.
Just like Bobby Clarke's mouth with his teeth; or lack there of.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Chris109 »

If you've only got one day to live, come see the Toronto Maple Leafs. It'll seem like forever.---Pat LaFontaine

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Chris109 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:46 pm

I still wince looking at those older guys who played without helmets or much protection. Missing teeth, messed up eye sockets, concussions, broken noses. Don't know how they played like that. Almost as if safety wasn't a concern for them. I still worry about getting kicked too hard with a soccer ball. :lol:

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by T.Q. »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:38 pm

I still wince looking at those older guys who played without helmets or much protection. Missing teeth, messed up eye sockets, concussions, broken noses. Don't know how they played like that. Almost as if safety wasn't a concern for them. I still worry about getting kicked too hard with a soccer ball. :lol:
No one beats hockey players in the "toxic" (society's little buzzword) masculinity department. :lol:

One of the JETS got sliced open over the eye with a skate blade the other night. 75 stitches and ten minutes later he was back in the game with a full cage on.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:53 pm

No one beats hockey players in the "toxic" (society's little buzzword) masculinity department. :lol:

One of the JETS got sliced open over the eye with a skate blade the other night. 75 stitches and ten minutes later he was back in the game with a full cage on.
Ouch!! :shock: Yeah, I just don't get that. Takes some steel cojones that's for sure to play that game.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#22 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:12 am

One of the d stories about JETS got sliced open over the eye with a skate blade the other night. 75 stitches and ten minutes later he was back in the game with a full cage on.
Ouch!! :shock: Yeah, I just don't get that. Takes some steel cojones that's for sure to play that game.
I think I posted it previously. At least for the players up until the 70’s, most of them grew up as kids playing on frozen ponds with no pads or helmets. If they were good enough they would make the high school team and have a dedicated rink. My father told stories about growing up in Canada and playing as soon as the ice was thick enough on the pond. They would stuff newspapers in their pants and shirts. That was it. They didn’t have any other equipment.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Chris109 »

Lest we forget Clint Malarchuk's throat in '89.

It was the start of his downfall. He tried to shoot himself because of depression but the bullet... Oh read it for yourself.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/other ... njury.html

And I'm worried about me just smashing my finger with a hammer. My thumb nail cut into my thumb and there's blood everywhere. I'll survive.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#24 Post by Pahonu »

Chris109 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:47 pm

Lest we forget Clint Malarchuk's throat in '89.

It was the start of his downfall. He tried to shoot himself because of depression but the bullet... Oh read it for yourself.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/other ... njury.html

And I'm worried about me just smashing my finger with a hammer. My thumb nail cut into my thumb and there's blood everywhere. I'll survive.
I very much remember the Alex Zanardi crash where he lost his legs. :(

I also remember up and coming F1 driver Alessandro Naninni who lost an arm in a helicopter crash, ending his driving career about a decade earlier.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by KENJI »

Richard Zednick had one of those scary moments on the ice too..............

http://www.puckreport.com/2011/02/today ... dniks.html

The Florida/Boston series was excellent! The Boston fans could taste victory, then is was snatched away from them with less than a minute left in regulation and finally in overtime! Boston was having one hell of a season to that point, winning the President's Trophy......better luck next year!

I wonder if Seattle is going to pull off a run like Vegas did when they entered the league.

Hey Styles, your Leafs did well in the first round! It will be interesting to see how they do against Florida.

Styles Bitchley

#26 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Yeah, the Bruins looked like the Leafs in that series! Nice to see the Leafs advance, but it wasn't a convincing win. Tampa honestly outplayed them most of the time, but there were some lucky goals. We'll see if the hockey gods keep smiling down on them or if they'll get up to their old tricks. So funny to see TWO teams from FLORIDA challenging the Leafs in the playoffs. Should get Conch out to one of these games - isn't he living down there now??
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by KENJI »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 4:50 pm Yeah, the Bruins looked like the Leafs in that series! Nice to see the Leafs advance, but it wasn't a convincing win. Tampa honestly outplayed them most of the time, but there were some lucky goals. We'll see if the hockey gods keep smiling down on them or if they'll get up to their old tricks. So funny to see TWO teams from FLORIDA challenging the Leafs in the playoffs. Should get Conch out to one of these games - isn't he living down there now??
The hockey gods weren't very nice to the Leafs last night with a 4-2 loss to the Panthers.
I agree with you, Conch should go to a game wearing an aloha shirt and shorts. I bet that's all he wears now anyway.....oh yeah, a hat too. :magnum: He needs a clever sign or banner to hold so they put him on tv! Enjoy the sun and the game Conch! :wink:
Good luck in Game 2 Styles!

Styles Bitchley

#28 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Yeah, where did that Panthers team come from?? Average team all year makes the wild card and is now smoking these high calibre teams!

- J.Q.H.

Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:39 pm Yeah, where did that Panthers team come from?? Average team all year makes the wild card and is now smoking these high calibre teams!
It's like in the NBA right now where the #1 seeded Milwaukee Bucks (the best team in the league the entire season!) got eliminated in the first round of the playoffs by the #8 seeded Miami Heat (yep another Florida team LOL) who barely made it to the playoffs. Not only did Miami eliminate the Bucks but they did it in 5 games, 4-1!!! That's just wild!! :shock:

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by KENJI »

Even March Madness was FULL of upsets this year!

Timing is everything and Florida is playing great when it really counts. Hang in there Styles....maybe the Leafs will find that extra gear too.
Seattle is another surprise! Their first game against Dallas was excellent to watch and they even won in overtime in Dallas.
Never count out the underdogs! It makes for great viewing as well.
Speaking of dogs.......I hear Snoop Dog is interested in buying the Ottawa Senators! I can picture their dressing room with a haze of smoke now! :lol:
Ryan Reynolds is another interested buyer for the team.