Smith's Union Bar

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Sam
Fleet Admiral

Smith's Union Bar

#1 Post by Sam »

Chinatown,Smiths's Union Bar, USS Arizona and Lauren Bruner...

Not MPI related but interesting..

https://youtu.be/DEI2Yzb3QOY

https://youtu.be/Wt3D6vACM2M

https://youtu.be/Ko0QBUqs1BE

More on Chinatown..

https://youtu.be/CpphYRbp1UM

Final Lauren Bruner story..

https://youtu.be/xTsbWMO_nR8

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Smith's Union Bar

#2 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Sam wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:00 am Chinatown,Smiths's Union Bar, USS Arizona and Lauren Bruner...

More on Chinatown..

Hi Sam
This is great stuff! Short videos on Smith's Union Bar, still extant, hangout for the USS Arizona sailors, plus vivid, moving video showing the internment of Lauren Bruner's ashes by divers
on the Arizona. Ya done good Sam. That bar t-shirt looks very cool, if I ever knock Hawaii off my bucket list I am heading to the bar and getting one. Oh, and some suds too.

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Sam wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:00 am Chinatown,Smiths's Union Bar, USS Arizona and Lauren Bruner...

More on Chinatown..

Thanks Sam, that is a great addition !

I keep this in my drawer !

The Smith Union Bar is barely visible in some episodes featuring N. Hotel Street.

Except for "Death and Taxes" where it was filmed for a longer time, i suppose.
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Sam »

Thanks Luther and GM...I think most MPI and HFO fans are also Hawaii fans so I've been looking for island stories to post..

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Sam wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:13 pm Thanks Luther and GM...I think most MPI and HFO fans are also Hawaii fans so I've been looking for island stories to post..
Hey Sam,

It's perfectly true what you say. A few times I've been asked why I'm so interested in helping to find locations. Some members just don't see the point. I understand that of course, but for me, it's precisely the fact that I can link local history to the topological evolution and the layout of the places that interests me.

That, and some sort of nostalgia 'time capsule' effect too :wink: :magnum:
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Gorilla Mask wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:27 pm
Sam wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:13 pm Thanks Luther and GM...I think most MPI and HFO fans are also Hawaii fans so I've been looking for island stories to post..
Hey Sam,

It's perfectly true what you say. A few times I've been asked why I'm so interested in helping to find locations. Some members just don't see the point. I understand that of course, but for me, it's precisely the fact that I can link local history to the topological evolution and the layout of the places that interests me.

The "time capsule" is a very good point. For instance I'm not really interested in finding a filming location featured in the new Five-0 or new MPI (even though I love Hawaiian locales) because I know it'll look exactly as I saw it on the show. Provided that no CGI was used to enhance/add/remove things (that's why I HATE CGI). But something that was filmed 40 years ago or more is bound to have changed some. That's why it's so "special" to be able to stand in the same spot where something was filmed 50 years ago. That's half a century ago! Even more special if the locale hasn't changed much at all and still looks largely the same. You really do get transported back in time as the nostalgia comes rushing back. Something that was filmed 50 years ago vs. 2 years ago. Of course it also helps a great deal when it's a show that you absolutely LOVE vs. one that you don't care about.

For instance in 2008 I stayed at the Aston Waikiki Beachside hotel (not to be confused with the larger Aston Waikiki Beach hotel closer to Diamond Head) which is now permanently closed. It must have been one of the original hotels in Waikiki which is dwarfed by all the high-rise hotels surrounding it (including the Hyatt Regency to the left). Anyway I stayed in this hotel and then was pleasantly surprised when I watched the Five-O pilot episode "Cocoon" from 1968 and saw McGarrett in his Mercury drive down Kalakaua right past "my hotel". :) I noticed that there was no other hotel next to it that was taller than "my hotel". This hotel WAS the high-rise of 1968! But today it's barely noticeable amid all the high-rises surrounding it. Things like that is what fascinate me. Seeing "my hotel" where I stayed in 2008 and then seeing it looking exactly the same in 1968, 40 years earlier. Great stuff!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#7 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:50 pm
Hey Sam,

The "time capsule" is a very good point. For instance I'm not really interested in finding a filming location featured in the new Five-0 or new MPI (even though I love Hawaiian locales) because I know it'll look exactly as I saw it on the show. Provided that no CGI was used to enhance/add/remove things (that's why I HATE CGI). But something that was filmed 40 years ago or more is bound to have changed some. That's why it's so "special" to be able to stand in the same spot where something was filmed 50 years ago. That's half a century ago! Even more special if the locale hasn't changed much at all and still looks largely the same. You really do get transported back in time as the nostalgia comes rushing back. Something that was filmed 50 years ago vs. 2 years ago. Of course it also helps a great deal when it's a show that you absolutely LOVE vs. one that you don't care about.

For instance in 2008 I stayed at the Aston Waikiki Beachside hotel (not to be confused with the larger Aston Waikiki Beach hotel closer to Diamond Head) which is now permanently closed. It must have been one of the original hotels in Waikiki which is dwarfed by all the high-rise hotels surrounding it (including the Hyatt Regency to the left). Anyway I stayed in this hotel and then was pleasantly surprised when I watched the Five-O pilot episode "Cocoon" from 1968 and saw McGarrett in his Mercury drive down Kalakaua right past "my hotel". :) I noticed that there was no other hotel next to it that was taller than "my hotel". This hotel WAS the high-rise of 1968! But today it's barely noticeable amid all the high-rises surrounding it. Things like that is what fascinate me. Seeing "my hotel" where I stayed in 2008 and then seeing it looking exactly the same in 1968, 40 years earlier. Great stuff!
I understand this sentiment exactly. I love to find places around the LA area that were featured in some of my favorite shows from the past. There are so many because the industry is based here, but I look for locations from older films and series, and when I visit today it’s cool to see the changes.

Visiting Bronson Canyon and seeing where TV’s Batcave exit was located was fun. I also found the High Court Tower from The Long Goodbye, and the church from The Graduate, which ended up being near my sister’s house, no where near Hollywood! Of course the Santa Monica Pier and Union Station have been used many times, but it’s fun to see how they have changed.

Perhaps my all time favorite happened just recently when a friend of mine’s wife showed me the interior of the Bradbury Building where she now works. It’s not open to the public. The exterior is unassuming, but the interior is iconic, having been used in Blade Runner, The Artist, and a favorite of mine, the film noir classic Double Idemnity.
Last edited by Pahonu on Sat May 14, 2022 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Sam »

Hi Pahonu...
If you haven't seen this,here is a list of filming from the Bradbury..

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?loca ... nia,%20USA

Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:26 am
Hey Sam,

I understand this sentiment exactly. I love to find places around the LA area that were featured in some of my favorite shows from the past. There are so many because the industry is based here, but I look for locations from older films and series, and when I visit today it’s cool to see the changes.

Visiting Bronson Canyon and seeing where TV’s Batcave exit was located was fun. I also found the High Court Tower from The Long Goodbye, and the church from The Graduate, which ended up being near my sister’s house, no where near Hollywood! I’d course the Santa Monica Pier and Union Station have been used many times, but it’s fun to see how they have changed.

Perhaps my all time favorite happened just recently when a friend of mine’s wife showed me the interior of the Bradbury Building where she now works. It’s not open to the public. The exterior is unassuming, but the interior is iconic, having been used in Blade Runner, The Artist, and a favorite of mine, the film noir classic Double Idemnity.
Ah, Bronson Canyon. Seen in so many TV westerns, especially my favorite - BONANZA. Also the Bradbury Bldg. I've heard of it. In fact not too long ago I saw the noir classic D.O.A. (1950) and the finale took place inside that building. Like you say, it's very unique. Has a somewhat futuristic look to it. Hence the filming of BLADE RUNNER there. And yes I remember seeing it in DOUBLE INDEMNITY too. Great film!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Sam »

Hey Ivan..I know this is random but do you remember Bronson from Batman..

https://youtu.be/QVq46O_H1Ks

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:00 am
Hey Sam,
Visiting Bronson Canyon and seeing where TV’s Batcave exit was located was fun. I also found the High Court Tower from The Long Goodbye, and the church from The Graduate, which ended up being near my sister’s house, no where near Hollywood! I’d course the Santa Monica Pier and Union Station have been used many times, but it’s fun to see how they have changed.
Ah, Bronson Canyon. Seen in so many TV westerns, especially my favorite - BONANZA. Also the Bradbury Bldg. I've heard of it. In fact not too long ago I saw the noir classic D.O.A. (1950) and the finale took place inside that building. Like you say, it's very unique. Has a somewhat futuristic look to it. Hence the filming of BLADE RUNNER there. And yes I remember seeing it in DOUBLE INDEMNITY too. Great film!
Hi Guys,
The Bradbury is one of the all time great 'sets' in TV/movie history.
It was used to such effect it was almost another character in the legendary Outer Limits episode "Demon With a Glass Hand" that is rated in the top 100 of the best TV episodes ever made.
You are cheating yourself if you have never seen it.
Season six of 77 Sunset Strip was set in the Bradbury Building and opened with a montage there.
Oddly, though the address of the PI's office had changed to the Bradbury(and the cast all purged except for Zimbalist ) the series was still called 77 Sunset Strip.
Pahonu, I am so envious of your tour of those various locations. Especially Bronson Canyon. Good for you.

Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Sam wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:14 am Hey Ivan..I know this is random but do you remember Bronson from Batman..

https://youtu.be/QVq46O_H1Ks
I never watched the show (too cheesy!!) but yes I know that the Batmobile came out of Bronson Canyon.

Pahonu

#13 Post by Pahonu »

Sam wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:12 am Hi Pahonu...
If you haven't seen this,here is a list of filming from the Bradbury..

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?loca ... nia,%20USA
Thanks Sam! I’ve seen a surprisingly large number on that list :shock: including the obscure, short-lived TV series City of Angels that used it as a weekly setting.

Pahonu

#14 Post by Pahonu »

Hey Sam,

The crazy part is that the exterior looks so typical of other buildings downtown, but if you can get beyond the lobby…. Before the internet I think most people walked right on by with no clue what was inside. It’s become such a popular place for people to visit because of filming that there is a gate at the entrance of the glass-roofed atrium, right after you go up the steps. You have to be on the list of visitors to the various businesses inside to get beyond the stairs. I was so lucky my friend’s wife got me in. It’s just stunning with all the wrought iron and glass. It was built in the late 19th century!

Here’s the quite common outside:

https://ibb.co/RSPrGNc

Through that portal and up the steps above the first floor retail businesses is the first level of the glass-roofed atrium. There’s another similar entrance around the corner.

Pahonu

#15 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:52 am

Hey Sam,
Hi Guys,
The Bradbury is one of the all time great 'sets' in TV/movie history.
It was used to such effect it was almost another character in the legendary Outer Limits episode "Demon With a Glass Hand" that is rated in the top 100 of the best TV episodes ever made.
You are cheating yourself if you have never seen it.
Season six of 77 Sunset Strip was set in the Bradbury Building and opened with a montage there.
Oddly, though the address of the PI's office had changed to the Bradbury(and the cast all purged except for Zimbalist ) the series was still called 77 Sunset Strip.
Pahonu, I am so envious of your tour of those various locations. Especially Bronson Canyon. Good for you.
Hey Dobie,
I do feel fortunate to be so close to all these places so loved by movie and TV fans. It’s a fun little hobby of mine to visit these spots, especially the more obscure or hard to recognize locations. My wife is less into the old films and TV series, but she’s really into music. We had a fun day exploring Laurel Canyon last summer and some of the spots frequented in the 60’s by musicians like Byrds, The Mamas and the Papas, Joni Mitchell, and The Doors. It’s kind of similar, I think. We stopped at a little store where Cass Elliot lived in the basement at one point?!?!?