Contemporary Hawaiian Music

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Contemporary Hawaiian Music

#16 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:20 pm
ConchRepublican wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:03 pm Currently NYC but have my eye on one day ending each day with a sunset cocktail on the west coast of Florida!

Love the Keys but don't think we could afford to live there . . . better to live closer and visit.
Wait, are you saying that your tropical getaway (Flamingo Key) that you've posted pictures of is somewhere in the Big Apple? :shock:
“Flemingo Key” with an “e” from his last name Fleming. Very clever name and very clever getaway right in NYC.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#17 Post by ConchRepublican »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:20 pm
ConchRepublican wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:03 pm Currently NYC but have my eye on one day ending each day with a sunset cocktail on the west coast of Florida!

Love the Keys but don't think we could afford to live there . . . better to live closer and visit.
Wait, are you saying that your tropical getaway (Flamingo Key) that you've posted pictures of is somewhere in the Big Apple? :shock:
Absotively!

Forest Hills, NY . . . about 3 blocks away from where Ray Romano was born!

https://www.flemingokey.com/

Long story short - we had a planned vacation to the Keys about 15 years ago we needed to cancel so we decided to bring the Keys to us. My dad and I built the tiki bar and over the course of time things evolved. We added the dock inspired deck and then one day, Cozi contacted me about a tiki hut they thought I'd be interested in which completed the vibe!
Pahonu wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:43 pm
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:20 pm Wait, are you saying that your tropical getaway (Flamingo Key) that you've posted pictures of is somewhere in the Big Apple? :shock:
“Flemingo Key” with an “e” from his last name Fleming. Very clever name and very clever getaway right in NYC.

Exactly, and thank you!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Ah, I see. Really cool!

Oh and I completely missed that it was Fleming-O, not Flamingo. :lol:

We drove from Miami through the Keys all the way to Key West a few years back. Really enjoyed our stay at Key West (got to visit the Truman White House as well as the Hemingway House) but I gotta say one thing - their beaches suck! For swimming, that is. Mud and seaweed everywhere. I hear that fishing is really good there.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#19 Post by ConchRepublican »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:34 pm Ah, I see. Really cool!

We drove from Miami through the Keys all the way to Key West a few years back. Really enjoyed our stay at Key West (got to visit the Truman White House as well as the Hemingway House) but I gotta say one thing - their beaches suck! For swimming, that is. Mud and seaweed everywhere. I hear that fishing is really good there.
Yeah, Key West isn't a "beach island" like the Caribbean, much more of a pirate town . . . or a "drinking town with a fishing problem". That drive down from Miami is great and something everyone should experience at least once.

I could run down a list of fun spots on the island and along the way . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

ConchRepublican wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:04 pm
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:34 pm Ah, I see. Really cool!

Yeah, Key West isn't a "beach island" like the Caribbean, much more of a pirate town . . . or a "drinking town with a fishing problem". That drive down from Miami is great and something everyone should experience at least once.

I could run down a list of fun spots on the island and along the way . . .
Which is something I didn't know. I figured "wow, a bunch of islands dotted in the ocean, and it's still an extension of Florida, and a popular tourist destination... beaches should be great!" You can imagine my shock after coming from Miami Beach to Key West and discovering that's not the case AT ALL! I loved the beaches in Miami so I figured Key West would be that... and more! Kind of a fusion of Florida and the Caribbean. But nope. We even asked some locals if there are any beaches they would recommend and they gave us some "good" ones which of course were still very poor. Anyway, it was still a nice stay. We took a catamaran cruise and did some snorkeling further out in the ocean. I enjoyed scouting some locations from the Bond film LICENCE TO KILL which shot there. I was always fascinated by the 7 Mile Bridge (seen both in LICENCE TO KILL and TRUE LIES, and even as far back as 1948's KEY LARGO) and it was great taking that route to Key West and back.

As for drinking and fishing... I don't do either. So that definitely wouldn't be a draw for me. It was a fun trip for sure but I don't see myself back there anytime soon. I'll take Hawaii in a heartbeat.