Frank Bonner (WKRP In Cincinnati) 1942-2021

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: Frank Bonner (WKRP In Cincinnati) 1942-2021

#16 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Both for different reasons. My wife and I went to a Halloween party as the Ropers a few years back. It was a real hit. Mrs Roper was easier though. Mumus make a real impression.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#17 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:01 pm Quick question - do you guys prefer the Ropers or Mr. Furley?

Being a huge Don Knotts fan (going back to TAGS) I always preferred Furley but over the years I've decided that I love both evenly. Stanley and Helen were a riot and of course Furley is... well... Don Knotts!

Here's an interesting video I recently came across. Apparently Andy Griffith disliked the show and Knotts being a part of it. Apparently he felt it was beneath his talents. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZWCZFeI2DI
I prefer Mr. Furley, no contest. The Ropers were funny, but the same few gags seemed to be reused over and over again. Don Knotts’ physical humor was right there with John Ritter’s even at his older age. I just loved his portrayal with the ascots and leisure suits as he was convinced he was the ladies man. I also loved his physical responses with the wide-eyed karate poses when threatened and his false machismo snorty, pull up his pants routine. Hilarious!

That said, what the producers did to Norman Fell and Audra Lindsey was absolutely unethical. They were pushed into a spin-off series, the Ropers, which they didn’t want to do. They were promised they could return after one season if it wasn’t a success. It wasn’t a big success, but a second season began shooting and was canceled shortly thereafter. They didn’t return as the producers had landed Don Knotts.

The other part of that story is intriguing. The producers were looking to replace the Ropers with another actor to play the new character the writers had created. They literally told casting agents that they wanted someone like Don Knotts. Someone finally suggested actually asking Don Knotts... and the rest is history.

I had never heard that story about Andy Griffith not liking his Mr. Furley portrayal. I knew of their long friendship. First, I would agree with the video creator that Furley shared many characteristics with Barney Fife, so that doesn’t make sense. Second, it was a very well drawn character, even if it was in a show of pratfalls and sexual innuendo. Furley’s character was more complex than most on the series, actually. Perhaps Griffith just had a hard time getting past that racey aspect of the show.

Pahonu

#18 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:08 pm Both for different reasons. My wife and I went to a Halloween party as the Ropers a few years back. It was a real hit. Mrs Roper was easier though. Mumus make a real impression.
Stanley wore coveralls a lot, with the attached belt. I don’t think they were ever in fashion even in the 70’s. What did you wear?

In support of Mr. Furley, my wife had a T-shirt that she bought online several years ago. It had a close up black and white contrast image of Don Knotts mugging and just the word “Furley” underneath it. She got comments almost every time she wore that shirts! People knew and loved that character.

She currently has a Regal Beagle T-shirt. :D

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:02 am
I prefer Mr. Furley, no contest. The Ropers were funny, but the same few gags seemed to be reused over and over again. Don Knotts’ physical humor was right there with John Ritter’s even at his older age. I just loved his portrayal with the ascots and leisure suits as he was convinced he was the ladies man. I also loved his physical responses with the wide-eyed karate poses when threatened and his false machismo snorty, pull up his pants routine. Hilarious!
To be fair, the same gags were used over and over with Furley too. So in that sense it was no different. The Ropers were funny with their gags and Furley was funny with his gags. Both funny, just in different ways.

Pahonu

#20 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:18 pm
To be fair, the same gags were used over and over with Furley too. So in that sense it was no different. The Ropers were funny with their gags and Furley was funny with his gags. Both funny, just in different ways.
The difference, I think, is that Furley had more of his own storylines and more comedic material written for his character. This was largely because for the first time, the writers completely deviated from the British original, Man About the House. They created a new, unique character, and used him more. The US series Ropers were based largely on the British series characters, George and Mildred Roper with very limited changes. Those characters were also spun off into their own very similar series that proved more popular than The Ropers in the US.

As a strange connection to this forum, The Three’s Company spin-off, Three’s a Crowd was also a copy of the British spin-off of Man About the House. It was called Robin’s Nest! The title character was named Robin Tripp as opposed to Jack Tripper.

Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:21 pm
The difference, I think, is that Furley had more of his own storylines and more comedic material written for his character. This was largely because for the first time, the writers completely deviated from the British original, Man About the House. They created a new, unique character, and used him more. The US series Ropers were based largely on the British series characters, George and Mildred Roper with very limited changes. Those characters were also spun off into their own very similar series that proved more popular than The Ropers in the US.

As a strange connection to this forum, The Three’s Company spin-off, Three’s a Crowd was also a copy of the British spin-off of Man About the House. It was called Robin’s Nest! The title character was named Robin Tripp as opposed to Jack Tripper.
Well, I think Furley pretty much had his own shtick that he didn't really deviate from. Really it's the Don Knotts schtick which of course I'm not complaining about as I absolutely love Don Knotts! But I didn't really see more focus on his character than with the Ropers. At the end of the day he was still a side character. There was an episode where our trio think Stanley is seeing another woman. There was also one (or maybe more than one) where Furley is seeing some woman. It's mostly similar stuff, just different characters.

Pahonu

#22 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:42 pm

Well, I think Furley pretty much had his own shtick that he didn't really deviate from. Really it's the Don Knotts schtick which of course I'm not complaining about as I absolutely love Don Knotts! But I didn't really see more focus on his character than with the Ropers. At the end of the day he was still a side character. There was an episode where our trio think Stanley is seeing another woman. There was also one (or maybe more than one) where Furley is seeing some woman. It's mostly similar stuff, just different characters.
It’s definitely Don Knotts’ shtick, which is fantastic. Far funnier than the Ropers, I think. He was certainly not a main character, but several episodes have stories about his brother Bart and their relationship. He ultimately comes to know that Jack is not gay and has been duping him, but is okay with it. He even helps Jack with money to open his first restaurant. It’s a true friendship that develops. He simply appeared in far more scenes than the Ropers ever did and was developed more.

On the other hand, the Ropers are developed far more in their own spin-off, as would be expected. In that series, I find them far funnier in the new setting, particularly Stanley. They introduce the high-brow, climbing neighbor Jeffery, and he and low-brow Roper’s interactions are quite funny. We see a different side to Helen also as she develops a friendship with Jeffery’s wife, much to his disdain, and she dotes on their little boy. Her family is also introduced. Some of these aspects may have been developed eventually on Three’s Company if they had stayed, but it was not so.

Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:19 pm

It’s definitely Don Knotts’ shtick, which is fantastic. Far funnier than the Ropers, I think. He was certainly not a main character, but several episodes have stories about his brother Bart and their relationship. He ultimately comes to know that Jack is not gay and has been duping him, but is okay with it. He even helps Jack with money to open his first restaurant. It’s a true friendship that develops. He simply appeared in far more scenes than the Ropers ever did and was developed more.

On the other hand, the Ropers are developed far more in their own spin-off, as would be expected. In that series, I find them far funnier in the new setting, particularly Stanley. They introduce the high-brow, climbing neighbor Jeffery, and he and low-brow Roper’s interactions are quite funny. We see a different side to Helen also as she develops a friendship with Jeffery’s wife, much to his disdain, and she dotes on their little boy. Her family is also introduced. Some of these aspects may have been developed eventually on Three’s Company if they had stayed, but it was not so.
Wasn't Patty McCormack (the first Carol Baldwin) Jeffrey Tambor's wife in the spin-off? I remember a few episodes here and there but I wasn't a fan.

Pahonu

#24 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:48 pm
Pahonu wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:19 pm

Wasn't Patty McCormack (the first Carol Baldwin) Jeffrey Tambor's wife in the spin-off? I remember a few episodes here and there but I wasn't a fan.
Exactly right.