Obscure Movie Recommendations

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re: Obscure Movie Recommendations

#106 Post by Little Garwood »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:04 pm "A Kojak with a Kodak"

A hearty "well done" to anyone who can name the movie that line is from. :)

No idea why it just popped into my head this morning. Just one of those things. :lol:
White Line Fever? Convoy? Smokey and the Bandit?

Maybe all three... :wink:
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#107 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Little Garwood wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:38 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:04 pm "A Kojak with a Kodak"

A hearty "well done" to anyone who can name the movie that line is from. :)

No idea why it just popped into my head this morning. Just one of those things. :lol:
White Line Fever? Convoy? Smokey and the Bandit?

Maybe all three... :wink:
I don't know about the other 2 but SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT is the one! :) Jerry Reed ("Snowman") says it to Burt over his CB radio.

Now there's a movie that's infinitely superior to the overrated STAR WARS when it comes to films released in 1977.

Other superior films that year?

THE SPY WHO LOVED ME -- my favorite Bond film!
BLACK SUNDAY
THE GAUNTLET
TELEFON
TWILIGHT'S LAST GLEAMING
HIGH ANXIETY

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#108 Post by Little Garwood »

I remember an older kid at my elementary school bus stop talking trash about Smokey & the Bandit, but we younger morons loved it.

The Late Show is another 1977 film that I prefer over Star Wars. Plus, it's obscure enough to recommend in this thread. Our boy Luther Gillis appears in the film, and it stars Art Carney, Lily Tomlin, and Bill Macy (from Maude)

~Tom Selleck

Fleet Admiral

#109 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Little Garwood wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:09 pm I remember an older kid at my elementary school bus stop talking trash about Smokey & the Bandit, but we younger morons loved it.

The Late Show is another 1977 film that I prefer over Star Wars. Plus, it's obscure enough to recommend in this thread. Our boy Luther Gillis appears in the film, and it stars Art Carney, Lily Tomlin, and Bill Macy (from Maude)
I heard good things about this movie and would like to see it. Sounds similar to the very underrated FOUL PLAY (1978) with Goldie Hawn and Chevy Chase. Which also had Eugene "Luther Gillis" Roche in it. :)

And how about that opening song by Barry Manilow, accompanied by those glorious overhead coastline drive shots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLYL-pYpxGI

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#110 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:20 pm
Little Garwood wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:09 pm I remember an older kid at my elementary school bus stop talking trash about Smokey & the Bandit, but we younger morons loved it.

I heard good things about this movie and would like to see it. Sounds similar to the very underrated FOUL PLAY (1978) with Goldie Hawn and Chevy Chase. Which also had Eugene "Luther Gillis" Roche in it. :)

And how about that opening song by Barry Manilow, accompanied by those glorious overhead coastline drive shots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLYL-pYpxGI
I enjoy Foul Play also. I first saw and liked it as a kid on a flight to Canada. I finally rewatched it about three years ago and it didn’t disappoint. That drive is on PCH north of San Francisco past the Marin Headlands. It is indeed beautiful coastline, having driven it a couple of times, and it’s not even considered the most beautiful in the state.

Big Sur south of Monterey is absolutely stunning. I think I’ve mentioned it before in Play Misty for Me. Beginning south of the Carmel Highlands, the drive is the most beautiful I’ve ever experienced. My wife and I just did it in late June. We were there on our honeymoon almost 25 years ago in my truck, and a couple of times in between in our camper van, but finally got to do it in a convertible, her Beetle. We also did the drive through Pebble Beach and Pacific Grove. If you ever get the opportunity, I highly recommend it.

Fleet Admiral

#111 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:44 pm

I enjoy Foul Play also. I first saw and liked it as a kid on a flight to Canada. I finally rewatched it about three years ago and it didn’t disappoint. That drive is on PCH north of San Francisco past the Marin Headlands. It is indeed beautiful coastline, having driven it a couple of times, and it’s not even considered the most beautiful in the state.

Big Sur south of Monterey is absolutely stunning. I think I’ve mentioned it before in Play Misty for Me. Beginning south of the Carmel Highlands, the drive is the most beautiful I’ve ever experienced. My wife and I just did it in late June. We were there on our honeymoon almost 25 years ago in my truck, and a couple of times in between in our camper van, but finally got to do it in a convertible, her Beetle. We also did the drive through Pebble Beach and Pacific Grove. If you ever get the opportunity, I highly recommend it.
I'm familiar with Big Sur and Monterey through the Marlon Brando western classic ONE-EYED JACKS. If anyone hasn't seen it I highly recommend it. It's unlike any western you've ever seen. I mean what western do you recall that was set against the backdrop of crashing waves of the Pacific Ocean?? :shock: I don't recall any. It's very unique in that sense! That Monterey/Big Sur coastline/beach area where Brando works on getting his gun hand back in working order is beautiful. I guess that film is a TRUE western! About as west as you can get for a western. :lol:

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#112 Post by Little Garwood »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:49 pm I don't know about the other 2 but SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT is the one! :) Jerry Reed ("Snowman") says it to Burt over his CB radio.

Now there's a movie that's infinitely superior to the overrated STAR WARS when it comes to films released in 1977.
With "Kojak" in the sentence, the movie "had to" have been made between 1974-78. Of course Jerry Reed uttered that legendary line! I can hear his voice saying that with the ease of Olivier or Hillerman...

Speaking of the CB radio craze, even The Rockford Files did a trucker episode, Heartaches of a Fool, and of course Rocky was a longtime trucker.

~Tom Selleck

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#113 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:53 pm

I'm familiar with Big Sur and Monterey through the Marlon Brando western classic ONE-EYED JACKS. If anyone hasn't seen it I highly recommend it. It's unlike any western you've ever seen. I mean what western do you recall that was set against the backdrop of crashing waves of the Pacific Ocean?? :shock: I don't recall any. It's very unique in that sense! That Monterey/Big Sur coastline/beach area where Brando works on getting his gun hand back in working order is beautiful. I guess that film is a TRUE western! About as west as you can get for a western. :lol:
I’ve not seen One-Eyed Jacks, but I don’t watch a lot of westerns unless I like the actors. Brando would be worth seeing.

How about James Garner in The Castaway Cowboy? He plays a Texas cowboy who gets shanghaied and jumps ship, washing ashore in 19th century Hawaii! Nothing special, but it’s a pleasant movie with beautiful locations.

Quigley Down Under has the brief scene in Freemantle at the beginning and in the coastal town later on.

I can’t think of much else, but those two really go west! :lol:

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#114 Post by Chris109 »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:40 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:53 pm
Little Garwood wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:09 pm
I’ve not seen One-Eyed Jacks, but I don’t watch a lot of westerns unless I like the actors. Brando would be worth seeing.

How about James Garner in The Castaway Cowboy? He plays a Texas cowboy who gets shanghaied and jumps ship, washing ashore in 19th century Hawaii! Nothing special, but it’s a pleasant movie with beautiful locations.

Quigley Down Under has the brief scene in Freemantle at the beginning and in the coastal town later on.

I can’t think of much else, but those two really go west! :lol:
Someone brought up Walter Brennan in The Real McCoys. I just watched Support Your Local Sheriff with Garner and Brennan. Brennan, although not in a lot of scenes, was hilarious.

Later on, Brennan's son asks, "He put his finger in your what?

And with regards to Quigley, Support Sheriff Garner's character was just passing thru on his way to Australia.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#115 Post by Little Garwood »

Walter Brennan won 3 Oscars in what, 5 years? The man knew what he was doing. I love his "Stumpy" character in Rio Bravo.

~Tom Selleck

Fleet Admiral

#116 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Brennan doesn't have to do anything but be Brennan. The man is a living legend. What's amazing is that he was born in Massachusetts. Never in a million years would I have guessed that! :shock: He's got that southern/West Virginny schtick down so pat that I just can't see him being born above the Mason-Dixon.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#117 Post by Chris109 »

Little Garwood wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:32 am Walter Brennan won 3 Oscars in what, 5 years? The man knew what he was doing. I love his "Stumpy" character in Rio Bravo.
I believe it was an ad-lib of Wayne kissing Brennan on the head when he was complaining about not being appreciated.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#118 Post by Little Garwood »

Little Garwood wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:41 pm Continuing with the 1970s--not that I ever leave that decade--I hereby submit Busting (1974) Robert Blake and Elliott Gould play Starsky & Hutch-style renegade cops. Billy "Columbo" Goldenberg provided the funky, energetic score. Gould's mustache gives even The Mighty Selleck's a run for its money!

youtu.be/LUsXaIhgXCw
Elliott Gould and his 'stache...a Magnum, P.I. for the early 1970s.

The Gould-Blake banter puts this movie 50 years ahead of its time. Writer-director Peter Hyams channels Robert Altman's style in some scenes. Cornelia Sharpe, a goddess if there ever was one, went the way of many a beautiful woman in Hollywood: She married a film producer.

Heck, even Danny "Mm..Mm...Mmmm...Mister McGarrett" Goldman is in it.

~Tom Selleck

Fleet Admiral

#119 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Little Garwood wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:27 pm
Heck, even Danny "Mm..Mm...Mmmm...Mister McGarrett" Goldman is in it.
Not only him but his boss at the bookstore (and eventual victim) Mr. Beecham too! :shock: Ivor Francis.

Fleet Admiral

#120 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Since it deals with obscure films then maybe this belongs here, even though I posted it on the Clu Gulager thread.

I remember seeing Clu in the 1974 John Wayne cop film (yes, Duke did 2 of those I think) called McQ. Gulager turned out to be the baddie in that film (what else, right?). But despite being one of the main supporting cast members he had very little screen time. Makes me think that maybe a lot of his scenes were cut or something. He was like the 4th or 5th billed actor in that film but many of the smaller billed actors actually ended up with more screen time than him. In fact Roger E. Mosley was in that one too (like 11th billed or something) and he probably had more screen time than Clu. I thought that was odd. The film is worth checking out, if only for the stellar car chase on the beach at the end between the Duke and Al Lettieri and his goons. There's an incredible car flip/roll there!!

The one film with Gulager that I really want to check out is the 1964 Don Siegel version of THE KILLERS (a remake of the Burt Lancaster classic). I haven't seen either version. But the 1964 version has the great Lee Marvin in it and Gulager I think is his partner and he's a really nasty piece of work. Also there's Ronald Reagan in his final screen role. So that's all the incentive I need to check this one out. I mean Marvin, Gulager, Angie Dickinson, John Cassavettes, and THE GIPPER??? How could it go wrong!? :D