Obscure Movie Recommendations

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Obscure Movie Recommendations

#76 Post by Pahonu »

While we’re on movies from 1973, one of my favorites is Bang the Drum Slowly. I’ve seen it several times. During the pandemic lockdown, I recorded and enjoyed watching the almost forgotten Breezy, with Bill Holden and Kay Lenz, directed unexpectedly by Clint Eastwood. The Spook Who Sat by the Door is often lumped in with the many Blaxploitation films from those years, but it is much more than that. The very talented Ivan Dixon directed. And finally, Soylent Green, which simply needs to be watched. An eclectic mix, I would say!!! :lol:

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#77 Post by Chris109 »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:08 pm While we’re on movies from 1973, one of my favorites is Bang the Drum Slowly. I’ve seen it several times. During the pandemic lockdown, I recorded and enjoyed watching the almost forgotten Breezy, with Bill Holden and Kay Lenz, directed unexpectedly by Clint Eastwood. The Spook Who Sat by the Door is often lumped in with the many Blaxploitation films from those years, but it is much more than that. The very talented Ivan Dixon directed. And finally, Soylent Green, which simply needs to be watched. An eclectic mix, I would say!!! :lol:
SPOILER ALERT!!!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#78 Post by Little Garwood »

Continuing with the 1970s--not that I ever leave that decade--I hereby submit Busting (1974) Robert Blake and Elliott Gould play Starsky & Hutch-style renegade cops. Billy "Columbo" Goldenberg provided the funky, energetic score. Gould's mustache gives even The Mighty Selleck's a run for its money!

Possible spoiler alerts in this video:

youtu.be/LUsXaIhgXCw
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#79 Post by Chris109 »

Little Garwood wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:41 pm Continuing with the 1970s--not that I ever leave that decade--I hereby submit Busting (1974) Robert Blake and Elliott Gould play Starsky & Hutch-style renegade cops. Billy "Columbo" Goldenberg provided the funky, energetic score. Gould's mustache gives even The Mighty Selleck's a run for its money!

Possible spoiler alerts in this video:

youtu.be/LUsXaIhgXCw

When I looked quick, I thought it was Tex Cobb

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#80 Post by Chris109 »

Got me thinking about 70's movies. I always enjoyed the Hot Rock (1972) with Redford, Segal, Zero Mostel, etc.

Afghanistan Banana Stand

And another with Redford would be Three Days of the Condor (1975)

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#81 Post by Little Garwood »

I was just about to add The Hot Rock! George Segal: Movie Star. :D He got a ton of mileage out of his 1966 Oscar nomination for Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, didn't he? Well, I always liked him. In fact, I've yet to see his 1975 comedy, The Black Bird, a Dshiell Hammett spoof which used the main title previously used in the The Devil's Platform episode of Kolchak: The Night Stalker.

3 Days of the Condor just happens to be on my stereo as I write this: it's set to play right after The Friends of Eddie Coyle score finishes playing.

By 1976, when Condor was released, the grit and cynicism that dominated the 1970-75 period had started to become more polished. Another form of blight, yuppification, was already on its way...

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by Little Garwood »

Tex Cobb must have spent many an hour admiring Elliott Gould's "Fu Manchu" 'stache. Lucky for Tex he was able to grow his own. :lol:

~Tom Selleck

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#83 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Little Garwood wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:42 pm 3 Days of the Condor just happens to be on my stereo as I write this: it's set to play right after The Friends of Eddie Coyle score finishes playing.
Stereo??? Come again?? You've got film scores playing on your stereo? :lol: Isn't that what YouTube is for?

Granted I own a few soundtracks on CD and luckily I have a new car (a 2021!!) that still has a CD player (a rarity these days)... but stereo? Are you playing cassette tapes?? :shock: :)

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by Little Garwood »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:34 am Stereo??? Come again?? You've got film scores playing on your stereo? :lol: Isn't that what YouTube is for?

Granted I own a few soundtracks on CD and luckily I have a new car (a 2021!!) that still has a CD player (a rarity these days)... but stereo? Are you playing cassette tapes?? :shock: :)
:lol: It has a five CD changer, two cassette players, a USB port and a place to plug in an iPod (though I've never owned one).

Every so often I break out a CD and play it. It does feel like I've gone back in time.

~Tom Selleck

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#85 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Little Garwood wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:58 am
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:34 am Stereo??? Come again?? You've got film scores playing on your stereo? :lol: Isn't that what YouTube is for?

:lol: It has a five CD changer, two cassette players, a USB port and a place to plug in an iPod (though I've never owned one).

Every so often I break out a CD and play it. It does feel like I've gone back in time.
Ah, that's cool. 8) Wish I had me one of them!

I still have some cassette tapes (not of soundtracks, not sure if any were ever released on cassette anyway) laying around in some boxes somewhere. :lol:

jno
Captain

#86 Post by jno »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:53 am
jno wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:38 am I'm a bit late to this thread but I'm a bit of a fan US made-for-tv movies. I'd say anything action/thriller related with either David Jannsen or Robert Urich in it is worth a punt. Whether they are 'obscure' though is debatable...
Some of my Jannsen faves: Warning Shot (1966), The Longest Night (1972), Moon of the Wolf (1972), Birds of Prey (1973), Hijack (1973), Fer-de-Lance (aka 'Death Dive') (1974), Prisoner in the Middle/Warhead/Mission Overkill (1977), Nowhere To Run (1978), Superdome (1978) - Tom Selleck is in this!, The Golden Gate Murders (1979), High Ice (1980)
You might try "Ring of Fire"(1961) starring Janssen, bodacious Joyce Taylor and a very young Frank Gorshin displaying excellent acting chops.
It features footage from 2 actual forest fires where it was shot in Oregon and Washington, seamlessly edited in.
Breathtaking color scenery, the opening in a small town diner gives you the feel of 1961 in spades, along with the classic Duane Eddy title song.
Lots of footage of the locals who made up the hundreds of extras fleeing the fires, it's interesting to see the "types" in period garb, some with speaking parts.
I really like this flick, not every film has to be a 4 star classic and this isn't but it is a perfect choice for Saturday night viewing, with a bowl of popcorn and black cows(root beer with a dollop
of vanilla ice cream).
They don't do no root beer round these here parts. That DJ film sounds like a must see though, I will do my best to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation!

jno
Captain

#87 Post by jno »

Chris109 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:33 pm
And another with Redford would be Three Days of the Condor (1975)

I saw the recent 'Condor' TV series which I think is based on this. It was pretty good stuff.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#88 Post by Little Garwood »

jno wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:48 amThey don't do no root beer round these here parts.
Some of the best barbecue I've ever eaten was in Vienna(!), so it stands to reason that root beer would be outstanding, too. :wink:

~Tom Selleck

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#89 Post by Chris109 »

Though she's not really 'obscure', how can we get into 70's flicks without mentioning Jackie B.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#90 Post by Chris109 »

Little Garwood wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:10 pm
jno wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:48 amThey don't do no root beer round these here parts.
Some of the best barbecue I've ever eaten was in Vienna(!), so it stands to reason that root beer would be outstanding, too. :wink: