Obscure Movie Recommendations

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Obscure Movie Recommendations

#46 Post by Pahonu »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:24 am I saw "The Wilderness Family". It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The animal fight scenes were well done and the kids weren't as annoying as expected. I actually liked the movie - mainly because that's always been a dream of mine, to get away from hideous society to live in infinite wilderness among wildlife, no noisy humans in sight - and no property taxes.

It's a bit unrealistic though. They'd have to be constantly working to get food, prepare the food, store the food (without a fridge). Also, try washing clothes in the river in winter. He'd still need money for supplies, tools, ammo, doctors, etc.. He'd probably get kicked off the land by police or government agents, then investigated by the IRS and child services. In modern times, all that wilderness would be subdivided into expensive little tiny lots, the "WATERFRONT!" and "MOUNTAIN VIEW!" lots going at a premium.
I’m getting the sense that you perhaps have a bit of an anti-social streak with the hideous society comment! :shock: :lol:

Indeed, the comforts of society, like running water, refrigeration, and not wiping your butt with leaves over a hole in the ground :lol: come with negatives as well. They’re inseparable it seems. I’ve talked to many people over the years who seem to idealize that wilderness of long ago, but life was tough! I think it’s human nature to romanticize the open land and wilderness and ignore the difficulties, which were near constant. People who attend those Renaissance fair events are an example. I personally wouldn’t trade the harsh life of that era for today’s comforts and technologies. I have a feeling many of them wouldn’t either but it’s fun for them to play at it I guess.

Did you ever seen The Revenant?

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:26 am
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:05 am You can typically skip most of the ads on YouTube. So an ad starts playing and then after 5 seconds you can click "Skip". Of course you gotta watch that 5 seconds. :lol: And then hope that another ad doesn't pop up that you also have to watch for 5 seconds before you can click "Skip" again. Fun, eh? :D Of course then there are those pesky ads that you can't skip. :?
But why? Why watch even 5 seconds of that crap? I don't understand why everyone isn't using ad blocking.
Hmmm, I suppose I should look into that. I see there's an app for your phone called AdGuard which I guess blocks ads. Might even be free.

Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:46 pm
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:44 pm Typically I'll bail on a movie if I just can't get into it and feel like I'm wasting my time. The best example of that was CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON. I remember renting this one on DVD a long time ago from the library, hearing all the critical praise for it. But after about 15 minutes of people flying around on wires and up walls like Spiderman I said enough and out popped the DVD.
Yes! That was an over-hyped load of rubbish. I always called it "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Chicken".

Most of the best movies are "under-hyped". I'd rather the audiences decide whether it's worth hyping or not. I remember never even hearing about "The Matrix". I saw the preview and said "Whoa." (Keano Reeves style). I wondered why I didn't hear about it. I remember "The Terminator" being a neglected video store rental in 1985 that I didn't know anything about. Same with "Blade Runner".

Who watches or even talks about those super-over-hyped movies now? Who watches "Cabaret" or "Brokeback Mountain"?? (You know somebody has severe mental problems if they say their favourite three movies are "Deliverance", "Brokeback Mountain" and "Capote".)
DELIVERANCE I liked. BROKEBACK and CAPOTE I never saw and don't care to. Wait, isn't Brokeback Mountain a term used to describe a pile of ninjas after Chuck Norris is done with them? Or so I heard.

TERMINATOR is a classic! BLADE RUNNER I didn't care for. Never seen any of the MATRIX movies and have no interest. Favorite Keanu movies? SPEED and POINT BREAK!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Last edited by Mad Kudu Buck on Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:01 pm
Pahonu wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:17 pm Indeed, the comforts of society, like running water, refrigeration, and not wiping your butt with leaves[...]
I prefer to use moss.

Even simple things like trying to heat your house in winter using only wood is a major pain. I tried that for a couple winters. You have to cut & split wood, break kindling and constantly bring that heavy wood into the house (through deep snow, trying to avoid slipping on your arse). Then you have to hourly keep checking the fire to see that it's still going - even make sure to get up every night at 3am to add more wood to the fire or it'll go out and the water pipes will freeze and burst. I actually think it would be easier not to have running water - no pipes to burst. (any house plants would still freeze to death though)

I've come to appreciate electric heat. It's so much easier.
Kudu bucks eat moss?? :lol: I thought that was moose or caribou.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Last edited by Mad Kudu Buck on Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:22 pm
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:22 pm
Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:01 pm
Pahonu wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:17 pm Indeed, the comforts of society, like running water, refrigeration, and not wiping your butt with leaves[...]
I prefer to use moss.
Kudu bucks eat moss?? :lol: I thought that was moose or caribou.
No, no. I was talking about using moss in the woods for "butt wiping". I don't know why nobody else has thought of this. It's really the only way to go. Try it. Your ass will thank you for it.
Oh my mistake. No, I prefer the civilized approach. That reminds me of the time I was stationed in Burma in 2005 with Binky Whistethwaite-Algernon. Or was it 2004? No matter... :higgins:

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Last edited by Mad Kudu Buck on Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pahonu

#54 Post by Pahonu »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:38 pm
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:06 pm Oh my mistake. No, I prefer the civilized approach. That reminds me of the time I was stationed in Burma in 2005 with Binky Whistethwaite-Algernon. Or was it 2004? No matter... :higgins:
Ah yes... that was when I was in Cameroon during the rainy season. I had just finished a dreadful meal - a soup consisting of fried squid and antelope horns - when Private Mulvaney burst in unannounced and shouted that the Zambusi were invading. I thought it odd at the time, because there were no Zambusi in Cameroon. No matter. We sounded general alarm and the lads fought hard and honourably. It was only the next day when we awoke in a pub in Brisbane that we became aware of the awful mistake.
Excellent!

jno
Captain

#55 Post by jno »

I'm a bit late to this thread but I'm a bit of a fan US made-for-tv movies. I'd say anything action/thriller related with either David Jannsen or Robert Urich in it is worth a punt. Whether they are 'obscure' though is debatable...

Some of my Jannsen faves: Warning Shot (1966), The Longest Night (1972), Moon of the Wolf (1972), Birds of Prey (1973), Hijack (1973), Fer-de-Lance (aka 'Death Dive') (1974), Prisoner in the Middle/Warhead/Mission Overkill (1977), Nowhere To Run (1978), Superdome (1978) - Tom Selleck is in this!, The Golden Gate Murders (1979), High Ice (1980)

Urich films: Invitation to Hell (1984), Murder By Night (1989), And She Was Gone (1991)

Some other great US made-for-TV nonsense: Death Squad (1974), Disappearance of Flight 412 (1974), The Elevator (1974), Paper Man (1971), Red Alert (1977), Hitchhike! (1974)

Another of the top of my head: The Hard Way (1979) witb Patrick McGoohan.

Pahonu

#56 Post by Pahonu »

jno wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:38 am I'm a bit late to this thread but I'm a bit of a fan US made-for-tv movies. I'd say anything action/thriller related with either David Jannsen or Robert Urich in it is worth a punt. Whether they are 'obscure' though is debatable...

Some of my Jannsen faves: Warning Shot (1966), The Longest Night (1972), Moon of the Wolf (1972), Birds of Prey (1973), Hijack (1973), Fer-de-Lance (aka 'Death Dive') (1974), Prisoner in the Middle/Warhead/Mission Overkill (1977), Nowhere To Run (1978), Superdome (1978) - Tom Selleck is in this!, The Golden Gate Murders (1979), High Ice (1980)

Urich films: Invitation to Hell (1984), Murder By Night (1989), And She Was Gone (1991)

Some other great US made-for-TV nonsense: Death Squad (1974), Disappearance of Flight 412 (1974), The Elevator (1974), Paper Man (1971), Red Alert (1977), Hitchhike! (1974)

Another of the top of my head: The Hard Way (1979) witb Patrick McGoohan.
Thanks for the recommendations!

David Janssen is my second favorite actor after James Garner. I think he was fantastic in the short-lived Harry-O series. I believe I’ve seen all of those movies except Moon of the Wolf and Death Dive. He’s also in a great two-part episode of Police Story. High Ice was his last film, I believe. He was working on a film about Father Damien working with lepers in Hawaii when he died of a heart attack.

I really enjoyed Patrick McGoohan in the Columbo episode at the military school.

jno
Captain

#57 Post by jno »

I'm also a Jannsen fan. If you'd like to see those films you don't have, send me a PM. :wink:

I'm also a fan of Harry O, I've been watching them again recently haven't not seen 'em since the 90s. I'm currently just into the 2nd season. I managed to source the R1 DVDs as it's not been released in Europe.

High Ice is a strange film. I have the VHS here. For most of the film he's just strapped to the side of a mountain. Love it. There's another film I've seen called 'Nowhere To Run' with him in which is also worth a watch. It also stars Stefanie Powers who is another hero of the 70s TV movie genre!

:lol:

Some other great obscure made-for-TV movies I like (just off the top of my head as they are many more I can't think of):

She Cried Murder (1973) with Telly Savalas & Lynda Day George
The Victim (1972) with Bewitched's Elizabeth Montgomery
When Michael Calls (1972) with Michael Douglas

Pahonu

#58 Post by Pahonu »

jno wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:12 am I'm also a Jannsen fan. If you'd like to see those films you don't have, send me a PM. :wink:

I'm also a fan of Harry O, I've been watching them again recently haven't not seen 'em since the 90s. I'm currently just into the 2nd season. I managed to source the R1 DVDs as it's not been released in Europe.

High Ice is a strange film. I have the VHS here. For most of the film he's just strapped to the side of a mountain. Love it. There's another film I've seen called 'Nowhere To Run' with him in which is also worth a watch. It also stars Stefanie Powers who is another hero of the 70s TV movie genre!

:lol:

Some other great obscure made-for-TV movies I like (just off the top of my head as they are many more I can't think of):

She Cried Murder (1973) with Telly Savalas & Lynda Day George
The Victim (1972) with Bewitched's Elizabeth Montgomery
When Michael Calls (1972) with Michael Douglas
Thanks for the offer. I just watched Moon of the Wolf last night on YouTube. It was fun. The Louisiana locations were interesting to see. Janssen doesn’t play a southerner too often!

I first saw Harry-O when I was in high school and a local channel played the original pilot film, Such Dust as Dreams are Made On. I got hooked on Janssen’s world-weary, gravely-voiced style. Later I saw the second pilot and watched some episodes in the 90’s like you. I bought the series from Warner Brothers right when they came out and have watched the series through about five times. No one else here seems to have seen it, though they know of it, or saw it long ago and don’t remember much. I’m excited someone else is watching it! What episodes are stand outs for you?

I have Fer de Lance or Death Dive ready to watch tonight. :D

jno
Captain

#59 Post by jno »

Rather than drift off topic I posted in the Harry O thread in Other TV Shows.

I enjoyed Moon of the Wolf - the last 15 minutes were great. I love this sort of 70s stuff.

'Fer De Lance/Death Dive' looks like it was made on the cheap. Only the lord himself knows why David Jannsen is in it - I'm sure they were just looking for a name and pulled him out of a hat. 'Snakes on a Sub' - if I'm honest, the folks back in the 70s must have been on something to come up with these off-the-wall ideas. The first few minutes of the film are really strange with the snake charmer and the girl.

The film was released on DVD in Germany and I picked it up around 2 years ago. I spotted DJ on the cover and thought "I have to watch this!" Despite me slating the production values, I'll confess I actually quite enjoyed it.

:D

I'll await your comments on here Pahonu!

Pahonu

#60 Post by Pahonu »

jno wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:26 am Rather than drift off topic I posted in the Harry O thread in Other TV Shows.

I enjoyed Moon of the Wolf - the last 15 minutes were great. I love this sort of 70s stuff.

'Fer De Lance/Death Dive' looks like it was made on the cheap. Only the lord himself knows why David Jannsen is in it - I'm sure they were just looking for a name and pulled him out of a hat. 'Snakes on a Sub' - if I'm honest, the folks back in the 70s must have been on something to come up with these off-the-wall ideas. The first few minutes of the film are really strange with the snake charmer and the girl.

The film was released on DVD in Germany and I picked it up around 2 years ago. I spotted DJ on the cover and thought "I have to watch this!" Despite me slating the production values, I'll confess I actually quite enjoyed it.

:D

I'll await your comments on here Pahonu!
I’ll make further comments on the Harry O thread.