Obscure Movie Recommendations

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: Obscure Movie Recommendations

#31 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Oh, somehow I forgot to mention Richard Chamberlain first being dragged behind the train while holding on to a chain (an obvious homage to RAIDERS) and then somehow getting up and riding the rails with his feet while being pulled behind the train, as if on water skis! You gotta see it to believe it!! :lol:

But nothing tops the sheer hilarity of Chamberlain and Sharon Stone being cooked in a giant pot (with plastic vegetables floating around them) by some cannibalistic African natives. Then our intrepid duo causing the giant pot to tumble over and roll and roll and roll for what seems like many miles (with them still inside), thereby escaping the hungry natives! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And all this happens BEFORE the movie really begins to go off the rails!! :D :shock:

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#32 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:24 am Oh, somehow I forgot to mention Richard Chamberlain first being dragged behind the train while holding on to a chain (an obvious homage to RAIDERS) and then somehow getting up and riding the rails with his feet while being pulled behind the train, as if on water skis! You gotta see it to believe it!! :lol:

But nothing tops the sheer hilarity of Chamberlain and Sharon Stone being cooked in a giant pot (with plastic vegetables floating around them) by some cannibalistic African natives. Then our intrepid duo causing the giant pot to tumble over and roll and roll and roll for what seems like many miles (with them still inside), thereby escaping the hungry natives! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And all this happens BEFORE the movie really begins to go off the rails!! :D :shock:
Did you actually watch the whole thing? :shock: Plastic vegetables! I mentioned in another thread that I like to look for unique and unusual things I’ve never seen before. I’m probably willing to give a try to a lot more things than many people are. That’s true in more than entertainment also, I would say. That said, I have no qualms watching for a while and then bailing out. I’m the same way with books. My wife seems compelled to finish what she started for some reason. I’ll see her keep trying to get through something. She’s doing it right now with Oliver Twist. :lol: I don’t want to waste the time when I might find something better. There’s so much out there to experience.

Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:17 am
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:24 am Oh, somehow I forgot to mention Richard Chamberlain first being dragged behind the train while holding on to a chain (an obvious homage to RAIDERS) and then somehow getting up and riding the rails with his feet while being pulled behind the train, as if on water skis! You gotta see it to believe it!! :lol:

Did you actually watch the whole thing? :shock: Plastic vegetables! I mentioned in another thread that I like to look for unique and unusual things I’ve never seen before. I’m probably willing to give a try to a lot more things than many people are. That’s true in more than entertainment also, I would say. That said, I have no qualms watching for a while and then bailing out. I’m the same way with books. My wife seems compelled to finish what she started for some reason. I’ll see her keep trying to get through something. She’s doing it right now with Oliver Twist. :lol: I don’t want to waste the time when I might find something better. There’s so much out there to experience.
Yep, they sure looked like plastic veggies. I'm sure that's what they were. :) The Cannon films were notorious for cutting corners when it came to budget.

Typically I'll bail on a movie if I just can't get into it and feel like I'm wasting my time. The best example of that was CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON. I remember renting this one on DVD a long time ago from the library, hearing all the critical praise for it. But after about 15 minutes of people flying around on wires and up walls like Spiderman I said enough and out popped the DVD. The thing with KING SOLOMON'S MINES is that it started out kinda promisingly. In fact for half of its run-time I was reasonably entertained. Sure, I could tell this was a low-grade rip-off of RAIDERS but I knew that was to be expected and enjoyed it for what it was. Even with the craziness of the tribe trying to cook our heroes in the giant pot ( :lol: ) I wasn't ready to bail yet. Things got pretty unbearable by the last 30 minutes or so but by then I figured I got that far so I might as well just finish it. I maintain if the last 30 minutes was completely cut and the film just ended abruptly it would have been a better film. :lol:

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by T.Q. »

For some reason I thought of these family movies from when I was a kid.

Anyone remember:

The Wilderness Family

Across the Great Divide

The Sea Gypsies

If you have kids/grandkids they're cheesy but fun.

No idea if you can find them now though.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Pahonu

#35 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:35 pm For some reason I thought of these family movies from when I was a kid.

Anyone remember:

The Wilderness Family

Across the Great Divide

The Sea Gypsies

There were several Wilderness family films and they all starred the same actor. I don’t recall his name, but he made a bunch of these family adventure films during that era. I know I saw at least one of them, but have no idea which.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Last edited by Mad Kudu Buck on Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pahonu

#37 Post by Pahonu »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:26 pm
T.Q. wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:35 pm For some reason I thought of these family movies from when I was a kid.

Anyone remember:

The Wilderness Family

Across the Great Divide

The Sea Gypsies

OK, I'll watch "The Wilderness Family" tonight - with home-made pizza, extra cheese for the cheesy movie.

I'm surprised nobody watched any of the three full movies I posted - not so much surprised, but annoyed - not so much annoyed, but viciously violently perturbed... well, that's a bit too far... I'll go back to "surprised". :D

I've watched 5 of the recommended obscure movies, two more coming soon. Come on - if I can wade through this crap, why can't you? :P Nobody tried to watch "Nuns on the Run"? It has Eric Idle in it! Eric-fricken-Idle!
I had actually seen two of your recommendations already, The Field, and Father Goose, and commented on them. Somehow I missed the Nuns on the Run post. I never saw it, but definitely remember ads for it at the time. Maybe that’s why I didn’t go see it! :shock: :lol:

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Last edited by Mad Kudu Buck on Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by T.Q. »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:26 pm
OK, I'll watch "The Wilderness Family" tonight - with home-made pizza, extra cheese for the cheesy movie.

I'm surprised nobody watched any of the three full movies I posted - not so much surprised, but annoyed - not so much annoyed, but viciously violently perturbed... well, that's a bit too far... I'll go back to "surprised". :D

I've watched 5 of the recommended obscure movies, two more coming soon. Come on - if I can wade through this crap, why can't you? :P Nobody tried to watch "Nuns on the Run"? It has Eric Idle in it! Eric-fricken-Idle!
Across the Great Divide is more fun.

I've seen "Nuns on the Run".

I'll look into "Queen of Hearts" to keep you from jumping off a bridge. :lol:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

T.Q. wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:46 pm I'll look into "Queen of Hearts" to keep you from jumping off a bridge. :lol:
:D There are no bridges near me. Coincidentally, the main guy in "Queen of Hearts" jumps off a bridge.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Last edited by Mad Kudu Buck on Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

You can typically skip most of the ads on YouTube. So an ad starts playing and then after 5 seconds you can click "Skip". Of course you gotta watch that 5 seconds. :lol: And then hope that another ad doesn't pop up that you also have to watch for 5 seconds before you can click "Skip" again. Fun, eh? :D Of course then there are those pesky ads that you can't skip. :?

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I saw "The Wilderness Family". It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The animal fight scenes were well done and the kids weren't as annoying as expected. I actually liked the movie - mainly because that's always been a dream of mine, to get away from hideous society to live in infinite wilderness among wildlife, no noisy humans in sight - and no property taxes.

It's a bit unrealistic though. They'd have to be constantly working to get food, prepare the food, store the food (without a fridge). Also, try washing clothes in the river in winter. He'd still need money for supplies, tools, ammo, doctors, etc.. He'd probably get kicked off the land by police or government agents, then investigated by the IRS and child services. In modern times, all that wilderness would be subdivided into expensive little tiny lots, the "WATERFRONT!" and "MOUNTAIN VIEW!" lots going at a premium.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:05 am You can typically skip most of the ads on YouTube. So an ad starts playing and then after 5 seconds you can click "Skip". Of course you gotta watch that 5 seconds. :lol: And then hope that another ad doesn't pop up that you also have to watch for 5 seconds before you can click "Skip" again. Fun, eh? :D Of course then there are those pesky ads that you can't skip. :?
But why? Why watch even 5 seconds of that crap? I don't understand why everyone isn't using ad blocking.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Last edited by Mad Kudu Buck on Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.