Altbier suggestions for Old Dusseldorf fans?

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Algernon Farnsworth
Lieutenant Commander

Altbier suggestions for Old Dusseldorf fans?

#1 Post by Algernon Farnsworth »

They never say, I don't think, but it is implied by the name that Old Dusseldorf was an altbier; anyone have any suggestions for altbiers to try? :)

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

Re: Altbier suggestions for Old Dusseldorf fans?

#2 Post by To The Regiment »

Algernon Farnsworth wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:23 pm They never say, I don't think, but it is implied by the name that Old Dusseldorf was an altbier; anyone have any suggestions for altbiers to try? :)
Give this one a try: https://www.oldemeckbrew.com/beer/copper

From the website:

OMB’s flagship, Copper, is an authentic Düsseldorf-style Altbier. Its full-flavored start transitions to a smooth, balanced finish. Copper is a so-called “hybrid” beer. Although it’s technically an ale, it is “lagered” (stored on the yeast at very cold temperatures) for several weeks after primary fermentation. The result is a beer that combines the full flavor of an ale with the crisp, clean refreshment of a lager. Copper is great by itself or as a complement to almost any food.

STYLE: Düsseldorf ALTBIER

ABV: 4.9% | SRM: 12.4 | IBU: 29
available: year-round

Best,
To The Regiment

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#3 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I’ve had altbier in Germany but it’s not really to my liking. It seems particularly unsuited to a tropical location like Hawaii (being dark and somewhat heavy). I’d think a weissbier would be a way better choice if going for a German style beer in Hawaii.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#4 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:04 pm I’ve had altbier in Germany but it’s not really to my liking. It seems particularly unsuited to a tropical location like Hawaii (being dark and somewhat heavy). I’d think a weissbier would be a way better choice if going for a German style beer in Hawaii.
I agree that it’s not tropical at all simply by being an ale, but given TM’s hometown in the Tidewater Region and attendance at the Naval Academy in Annapolis, the preference for an altbier seems very plausible… and clearly nostalgic once he was in Hawaii. :magnum:

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#5 Post by To The Regiment »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:09 am
Styles Bitchley wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:04 pm I’ve had altbier in Germany but it’s not really to my liking. It seems particularly unsuited to a tropical location like Hawaii (being dark and somewhat heavy). I’d think a weissbier would be a way better choice if going for a German style beer in Hawaii.
I agree that it’s not tropical at all simply by being an ale, but given TM’s hometown in the Tidewater Region and attendance at the Naval Academy in Annapolis, the preference for an altbier seems very plausible… and clearly nostalgic once he was in Hawaii. :magnum:
I suppose that I've never thought about Old Dusseldorf being a tropical beer. I always assumed it was a darker German beer that Magnum became acquainted with while in the Navy.

I have yet to try Olde Mecklenburg's Copper Dusseldorf beer - but it's on my summer list.

Best,
To The Regiment

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#6 Post by ConchRepublican »

To The Regiment wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:49 pm
Algernon Farnsworth wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:23 pm They never say, I don't think, but it is implied by the name that Old Dusseldorf was an altbier; anyone have any suggestions for altbiers to try? :)

From the website:

OMB’s flagship, Copper, is an authentic Düsseldorf-style Altbier. Its full-flavored start transitions to a smooth, balanced finish. Copper is a so-called “hybrid” beer. Although it’s technically an ale, it is “lagered” (stored on the yeast at very cold temperatures) for several weeks after primary fermentation. The result is a beer that combines the full flavor of an ale with the crisp, clean refreshment of a lager. Copper is great by itself or as a complement to almost any food.

Best,
To The Regiment
This looks interesting!

Back in the day I used to think Dinkleacker Dark (not brewed anymore) was my version of Old Dusseldorf. I was a huge fan of it.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3340/4032/

Researching this though I was surprised to find a beer I always have on hand for German meals/festivities is brewed by Dinkleacker . . .

https://www.familienbrauerei-dinkelacke ... warze.html

As for "tropical", I never considered that aspect. I always viewed it as a beer he acquired a taste for and he always looked for it.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#7 Post by Pahonu »

At my college roommate’s wedding many years ago they had a beer at his father’s request. He said it was his only request :lol: and it was from the brewery in Germany where his father was from. It was called Köstritzer Schwarzbier and I’ve purchased it a handful of times over the years. It’s black like a stout, and has some similar flavors, but it’s actually a lager not an ale.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#8 Post by ConchRepublican »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:06 pm At my college roommate’s wedding many years ago they had a beer at his father’s request. He said it was his only request :lol: and it was from the brewery in Germany where his father was from. It was called Köstritzer Schwarzbier and I’ve purchased it a handful of times over the years. It’s black like a stout, and has some similar flavors, but it’s actually a lager not an ale.
Exactly! I have become a fan . . . it's very drinkable and not too filling. Very deceptive.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#9 Post by To The Regiment »

ConchRepublican wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:15 pm
To The Regiment wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:49 pm

From the website:

Best,
To The Regiment
This looks interesting!

Back in the day I used to think Dinkleacker Dark (not brewed anymore) was my version of Old Dusseldorf. I was a huge fan of it.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3340/4032/

Researching this though I was surprised to find a beer I always have on hand for German meals/festivities is brewed by Dinkleacker . . .

https://www.familienbrauerei-dinkelacke ... warze.html

As for "tropical", I never considered that aspect. I always viewed it as a beer he acquired a taste for and he always looked for it.
Ah...Dinkelacker. I had their pilsner many years ago. I can't recall the taste. Currently, I have some Warsteiner pilsner in the fridge and a couple of Coors Banquets. My personal "Coops" was Anchor Steam for years, but then they had to go and ruin the label. A tragedy.

To The Regiment