Rest in Peace Sir Sean Connery . . .

youtu.be/063eHiNFfh4
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: Sean Connery 1930-2020 (age 90)

#3 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

The great Sir Sean Connery has left us at the ripe old age of 90. A true cinematic icon if there ever was one! He’s immediately what comes to mind when they say “they don’t make ‘em like that anymore”. From James Bond to Jimmy Malone to Indy’s father to Capt. Marko Ramius to King Arthur to John Patrick Mason his roles were legendary! Only someone like Connery could get away with playing an Irish cop or a Russian submarine captain or even a Moroccan Sheik (in The Wind and the Lion) all with the same Scottish brogue. He just had screen presence in spades and somehow you never questioned the accent. In fact you EXPECTED that accent. Anything else just wouldn’t set right. If I had to pick my one all-time favorite movie star Sir Sean would be it! And now he’s gone. :cry: :cry: Of course for me his greatest role will always be Bond... James Bond.

The only other star that comes close would be Clint Eastwood who incidentally is also 90. Both were born in 1930. They don’t make ‘em like they used to. Go ahead, make my day.

Conch, very fitting tribute you posted from FIRST KNIGHT! Rest in peace, Sir Sean.

MHTR
Vice Admiral

#4 Post by MHTR »

I really liked his performance in Marnie.

Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MHTR wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:23 am I really liked his performance in Marnie.
I couldn't get into MARNIE. Connery was fine but Tippi Hedren's histrionics really got on my nerves. Definitely a much lesser Hitchcock film.

MHTR
Vice Admiral

#6 Post by MHTR »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:18 am I couldn't get into MARNIE. Connery was fine but Tippi Hedren's histrionics really got on my nerves. Definitely a much lesser Hitchcock film.
It's definitely not on the same level as Psycho or The 39 Steps, that's for sure.

Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MHTR wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:09 am
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:18 am I couldn't get into MARNIE. Connery was fine but Tippi Hedren's histrionics really got on my nerves. Definitely a much lesser Hitchcock film.
It's definitely not on the same level as Psycho or The 39 Steps, that's for sure.
Or North by Northwest or The Birds or Dial M for Murder or Rear Window or Vertigo or The Man Who Knew Too Much or Strangers on a Train or Notorious or Rope or Foreign Correspondent or Rebecca or Saboteur or Shadow of a Doubt or Spellbound or Frenzy. :D

Heck, I even enjoyed Torn Curtain and Topaz more! And no one seems to like those!!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:06 am
MHTR wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:09 am
Or North by Northwest or The Birds or Dial M for Murder or Rear Window or Vertigo or The Man Who Knew Too Much or Strangers on a Train or Notorious or Rope or Foreign Correspondent or Rebecca or Saboteur or Shadow of a Doubt or Spellbound or Frenzy. :D
Heck, I even enjoyed Torn Curtain and Topaz more! And no one seems to like those!!
Ivan,
I never liked Marnie either, a misfire, though as you said Sir Sean was good as always. He made a film where he is a bent British copper, little known here as it didn't seem to translate to US audiences.
But it's really good, I wish I could recall it's title but I haven't seen it in 30 years. Regarding your list of Hitchcock films, North By Northwest is one of my all time favorites. If you ever go to The Plaza
Hotel - it's where Crocodile Dundee stayed in the movie - go to the Oak Bar, you want the first table on the right as you enter, beneath a mural of a old horse drawn coach. It's where Grant sat
down with his buddies(including Superman's "Inspector Henderson") at the start of North By Northwest. In real life, it was his table where he entertained every Hollywood star and famous folk
(Reagan, royalty etc.) you can think of. Grant lived in the Plaza for decades, the only one allowed to own his hotel suite. When out of state relatives visited and stayed with me I would run
North By Northwest and the next day we would hit NYC, winding up at the Oak Bar. They would get a big kick out of sitting at Grant's table once they connected the dots.
But back to Connery. If Scotland had gained it's independence a few years back - the vote was to remain in the UK - the plan was to keep Elizabeth as monarch, in order to get the vote
of Scots who revered her and might otherwise vote to stay in the Union. However a number of Scots wanted to replace the House of Windsor with a House of Connery, and make our boy King Sean!

Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:38 am Ivan,
I never liked Marnie either, a misfire, though as you said Sir Sean was good as always. He made a film where he is a bent British copper, little known here as it didn't seem to translate to US audiences.
But it's really good, I wish I could recall it's title but I haven't seen it in 30 years.
Are you talking about THE OFFENCE from 1973? By Sydney Lumet? Connery is a cop who's driven to madness trying to bring a child molester to justice! Weird film, if you ask me. But it has what many consider to be Connery's best and most powerful performance. He really goes nuts in that one! But it's not a film I care to revisit any time soon.
Regarding your list of Hitchcock films, North By Northwest is one of my all time favorites. If you ever go to The Plaza Hotel
I really need to check that place out! It's also where Mac Culkin stayed in HOME ALONE 2, even running into Donald Trump there, who I believe owned it. Still does?
However a number of Scots wanted to replace the House of Windsor with a House of Connery, and make our boy King Sean!
LOL! The Man Who Would Be King? :lol:

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:41 pm
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:38 am Ivan,
But it's really good, I wish I could recall it's title but I haven't seen it in 30 years.
Are you talking about THE OFFENCE from 1973? By Sydney Lumet? Connery is a cop who's driven to madness trying to bring a child molester to justice! Weird film, if you ask me. But it has what many consider to be Connery's best and most powerful performance. He really goes nuts in that one! But it's not a film I care to revisit any time soon.
Regarding your list of Hitchcock films, North By Northwest is one of my all time favorites. If you ever go to The Plaza Hotel
I really need to check that place out! It's also where Mac Culkin stayed in HOME ALONE 2, even running into Donald Trump there, who I believe owned it. Still does?
However a number of Scots wanted to replace the House of Windsor with a House of Connery, and make our boy King Sean!
LOL! The Man Who Would Be King? :lol:
Ivan,
"The Man Who Would Be King"! Good one.
As for the Plaza, he sold it decades ago, I think to some Arab bigwig if I recall correctly, who sold it later. Don't eat at the Oak Bar or the Oak Room restaurant though
it is a legendary dining place because of the famous and infamous who ate there. It's way over priced for average chow, go to one of the great NYC steak houses instead.
Or The Village. Still, having a round at Grant's table turns out to be one of the most fondly remembered things my visiting friends recall of
their perhaps only ever NYC trip. Well those who are old enough to appreciate classic movies, a lot of people under 40 have no idea who Hitchcock was.
My Sydney buddy and his wife enjoyed the Statue of Liberty, MOMA, etc. but like me get a kick out seeing Grant at what they now call "their table".
The table is different but the mural of the hansom cab on the wall is still right there. I believe The Oak Bar & Room has been land marked and now
can't be touched though the hotel itself is now mostly condos with a few floors of hotel rooms. Sorry, I do go on, but between the Oak Bar and
Trader Vics(Nixon's hangout) in the basement I had a hell of a time at The Plaza.