COVID19 Protocol

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

eagle
Fleet Admiral

Re: COVID19 Protocol

#61 Post by eagle »

Pahonu wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 11:30 pm I’m sorry to hear you feel that way. The only point I would make is that medical advances are the very reason we live to the extended ages we do today. As a history teacher I will simply say that the life expectancy just 100 years ago in 1920 in the US was under 55 years. Now it is over 75 years. That’s because of medical advancements. The fact that 90% of current cancers are diagnosed in people over 45 explains very well why cancer rates are higher today than in the past. It’s nothing nefarious. We live much longer lives and cancer mutations rise with age. To take my point to its extreme, I can imagine very few people got cancer in the medieval period when life expectancy in Europe was less than 40. A small number of people then lived to the ages we typically do today and might have gotten cancer, but how unusual would that have been?

At its most basic, are you saying that if you suffered a heart attack tonight, you wouldn’t call 911 and seek medical treatment? You would avoid it like the screwy people you mention. I hope you would want the ER doctors to use all the knowledge, treatments, and drugs they have to save your life. I suppose some might not, but I’m not in that group and I think most are not no matter how they feel politically about vaccination. It appears to be a bit of pick and choose the medical advancements they believe, though I see no logical rationale to base those seemingly arbitrary decisions on.
Medical advancements are a contributor, maybe even a large one, but they are far from the only reason our life expectancy is as high as it is.

100 years ago, hospitals in France were not air-conditioned.
Not all that long ago, doctors did not believe in washing hands before surgery.
We did not understand the importance of clean water.
We did not understand nutrition.

The list goes on, and some of the items on the list are at least as important as the medical advancements of the last century.

To me, the issue is that since March 2020, apolitical organizations became fully politicized, damn the consequences, and yes, their actions were nefarious, no question about that. Doctors and scientists became beholden to a narrative that has now been proven false beyond a shadow of a doubt, and it was obviously false by May 2020 to anyone who was paying attention and willing to do even a modest amount of research. As a result of the last half-decade or so, I will never again trust the FBI, CDC, and many other organizations. Their reputation has been tarnished beyond repair, and I no longer care what they say or do. I know I'm not alone.

Would I call 911 for a myocardial infarction? Sure. Would I want a drug created after 2020? No way, never. Will my opinion of these industries change? Only if the industries themselves change, but I'm not seeing that happen. I'm seeing more organizations go in the same bad direction.

It is extremely obvious that something has changed in the last 3 years, with respect to the medical situation in America. Children are dying in much greater numbers than we have ever seen, and not just due to suicides. The sheer number of "unexplained" deaths is off the charts. What changed? I think we all know the answer.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by T.Q. »

eagle wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:07 pm
Pahonu wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 11:30 pm I’m sorry to hear you feel that way. The only point I would make is that medical advances are the very reason we live to the extended ages we do today. As a history teacher I will simply say that the life expectancy just 100 years ago in 1920 in the US was under 55 years. Now it is over 75 years. That’s because of medical advancements. The fact that 90% of current cancers are diagnosed in people over 45 explains very well why cancer rates are higher today than in the past. It’s nothing nefarious. We live much longer lives and cancer mutations rise with age. To take my point to its extreme, I can imagine very few people got cancer in the medieval period when life expectancy in Europe was less than 40. A small number of people then lived to the ages we typically do today and might have gotten cancer, but how unusual would that have been?

At its most basic, are you saying that if you suffered a heart attack tonight, you wouldn’t call 911 and seek medical treatment? You would avoid it like the screwy people you mention. I hope you would want the ER doctors to use all the knowledge, treatments, and drugs they have to save your life. I suppose some might not, but I’m not in that group and I think most are not no matter how they feel politically about vaccination. It appears to be a bit of pick and choose the medical advancements they believe, though I see no logical rationale to base those seemingly arbitrary decisions on.
Medical advancements are a contributor, maybe even a large one, but they are far from the only reason our life expectancy is as high as it is.

The list goes on, and some of the items on the list are at least as important as the medical advancements of the last century.

To me, the issue is that since March 2020, apolitical organizations became fully politicized, damn the consequences, and yes, their actions were nefarious, no question about that. Doctors and scientists became beholden to a narrative that has now been proven false beyond a shadow of a doubt, and it was obviously false by May 2020 to anyone who was paying attention and willing to do even a modest amount of research. As a result of the last half-decade or so, I will never again trust the FBI, CDC, and many other organizations. Their reputation has been tarnished beyond repair, and I no longer care what they say or do. I know I'm not alone.

Would I call 911 for a myocardial infarction? Sure. Would I want a drug created after 2020? No way, never. Will my opinion of these industries change? Only if the industries themselves change, but I'm not seeing that happen. I'm seeing more organizations go in the same bad direction.

It is extremely obvious that something has changed in the last 3 years, with respect to the medical situation in America. Children are dying in much greater numbers than we have ever seen, and not just due to suicides. The sheer number of "unexplained" deaths is off the charts. What changed? I think we all know the answer.
I’ve certainly lost a lot of faith in the regulatory bodies as well.

I’m a lifelong biotech investor/speculator. New drugs and procedures have always taken a decade to be approved. I’m uneasy about the cutting corners now. Good example is recommending the mRNA shots to pregnant women with virtually no data.

We also had our Canadian Government officials claiming Vitamin D (and other vitamins and supplements) as a prophylaxis for Covid was a “conspiracy theory”. C’Mon Man.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 11:30 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:14 pm
Chris109 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:41 pm
Pahonu wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 3:04 am
Chris109 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:12 pm

What comments are offensive? The ones about the special hell for making people get shots or the one about white supremacy being the cause of all evils?
I’ll be very straightforward, I find offense in your quite cavalier comment about breast cancer, which is a leading cause of death for women in the US, behind only heart disease, I believe. To quote: “She got the shot and a booster or two. Now she has cancer in different parts of her body. Was it because of the shots? May as well blame them…” I’m truly sorry that your sister is suffering through this and I wish her well as I stated in my initial post. My comment was not political regarding vaccination or the pandemic. Breast cancer is an incredibly serious and important issue in women’s lives. Your seeming politicalization of the issue that has affected so many families over the years as somehow just the result of the COVID pandemic or the CDC or as you stated: “since by using the left's logic, every act of violence in this country is because of whitey supremo no matter what the race of the perp is, so therefore the shot is the cause of her cancer.” It’s a diminution of an incredibly complex and tragic set of circumstances surrounding this disease. Again, I wish your sister the best. The loss of my sister was an incredible loss to my mother and myself, and I wish no one, including you and your family, the same pain.
I never said anything about breast cancer. As a matter of fact, she has it on her spine. How many cases of spine cancer have you heard of? And my sister is the one who said it probably came from the shot. She said she would never have gotten it, but her job MANDATED it.
Just about everyone on my mother's side of the family has had cancer. Grandmother died of leukemia. Her brother (my great uncle who was a Polish WW1 hero) died of colon cancer. My mother had pancreatic cancer. My brother has/had bladder cancer. My other two sisters and brother have had polyps removed from their colons. On my father's side, everyone on his side loved their alcohol and eventually became demented. I don't take anything lightly.

And me? I'm the only one in the family whose scan came back negative for polyps. I stopped drinking many, many years ago, so I don't need any help going nuts. I can do that on my own.

So, I'll leave it there.
Chris, you make good points. There's so much out there right now causing all sorts of cancers and other diseases (which our ancestors never even heard of - they never had any of these ailments) that we don't even know about. What we consume, what we breathe, eat, etc. The last thing we need is more stuff injected into our bodies. I used to think people who avoided doctors and hospitals like the plague were a bit screwy. Now I'm beginning to understand them.
I’m sorry to hear you feel that way. The only point I would make is that medical advances are the very reason we live to the extended ages we do today. As a history teacher I will simply say that the life expectancy just 100 years ago in 1920 in the US was under 55 years. Now it is over 75 years. That’s because of medical advancements. The fact that 90% of current cancers are diagnosed in people over 45 explains very well why cancer rates are higher today than in the past. It’s nothing nefarious. We live much longer lives and cancer mutations rise with age. To take my point to its extreme, I can imagine very few people got cancer in the medieval period when life expectancy in Europe was less than 40. A small number of people then lived to the ages we typically do today and might have gotten cancer, but how unusual would that have been?

People 100 years ago had shorter lives not so much because of illnesses (or lack of treatments for them) but simply because they worked harder and led harder lives which took its toll on a body. Working out in the fields all day, everyday won't exactly prolong your life. All these cancers were nonexistent because folks didn't eat everything treated with chemicals. They breathed fresh air and most of what they consumed was organic. Not everything that people consumed was "treated" back then the way it is today. Plus X-rays, shots, pills, etc. People have cabinets overflowing with pills. Hence all these cancers. So yes people died of natural causes at 55 back then and that was normal.

As for calling 911 when you're having a heart attack that's an entirely different scenario. I'm not talking about life threatening situations here. Just people going to the doctors for every little thing. I know people like that. And then I hear "Oh why did I go? Why did I take his advice? I was better off before I did this or that procedure". Doctors just want to make money. It's not all about what's best for you.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by eagle »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:17 pm As for calling 911 when you're having a heart attack that's an entirely different scenario. I'm not talking about life threatening situations here. Just people going to the doctors for every little thing. I know people like that. And then I hear "Oh why did I go? Why did I take his advice? I was better off before I did this or that procedure". Doctors just want to make money. It's not all about what's best for you.
Lots of people don't understand this. Hospitals are a business. Pharma is a business. Doctors are businessmen. If the pharma industry resolved all the problems their customers face, they would go out of business because they would have no customers. It's simple business economics.

I used to go to the doctor a lot more than I do today. Not because I was a hypochondriac, but because I was ignorant to all of this. I have changed my life (habits, patterns, job, etc), and I am much healthier as a result. At this point I go to the doctor once a year (for an annual physical), and I only go to the annual physical so I can know the results of my blood panel.

You can pay the doctor or you can pay the grocer. I now choose to pay the grocer.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#65 Post by Pahonu »

Medical advances are not simply a large contributor to increased life expectancy, they are the largest by FAR. The single most important advancement of the last 100 years is the development of antibiotics, beginning with penicillin in the late 20’s. Countless lives have been saved by being able to treat bacterial infection before sepsis inevitably caused death. The biggest leap in life expectancy came with the dramatic reduction in child mortality that came with, yes vaccinations. The first vaccine by the way dates all the way back to the late 18th century with smallpox.

Your comment about doctors not washing their hands IS an example of a medical advancement promoted by Dr Joseph Lister in the late 19th century as the understanding of germ theory was advancing. The Pure Food and Drug Act and the creation of the FDA date back more than a century to the Teddy Roosevelt administration. The understanding of a safe and nutritious diet was begun over a century ago. Of course we have learned much more since then. I don’t know what to make of the air conditioning comment as there weren’t really effective commercial AC systems more than a 100 years ago.

“… their actions were nefarious, no question about that. Doctors and scientists became beholden to a narrative that has now been proven false beyond a shadow of a doubt, and it was obviously false by May 2020 to anyone who was paying attention and willing to do even a modest amount of research...” This statement is both hyperbolic and unprovable. A single scientist or doctor that didn’t act nefariously or was beholden to the narrative you suggest would disprove this claim. By your own words It seems you should never visit a doctor or use any new scientific technology ever again. Good luck with that.

I’m glad you would call 911 if you suffered cardiac arrest or otherwise sometime in the future, but you will be treated in the ER with the most recent procedures and medications available as standard protocol. I don’t believe you will find much success in a future ER telling them to only treat you with 2019 or earlier methods and medicines. Of course you could always refuse their treatment…

Pahonu

#66 Post by Pahonu »

eagle wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:09 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:17 pm As for calling 911 when you're having a heart attack that's an entirely different scenario. I'm not talking about life threatening situations here. Just people going to the doctors for every little thing. I know people like that. And then I hear "Oh why did I go? Why did I take his advice? I was better off before I did this or that procedure". Doctors just want to make money. It's not all about what's best for you.
Lots of people don't understand this. Hospitals are a business. Pharma is a business. Doctors are businessmen. If the pharma industry resolved all the problems their customers face, they would go out of business because they would have no customers. It's simple business economics.

I used to go to the doctor a lot more than I do today. Not because I was a hypochondriac, but because I was ignorant to all of this. I have changed my life (habits, patterns, job, etc), and I am much healthier as a result. At this point I go to the doctor once a year (for an annual physical), and I only go to the annual physical so I can know the results of my blood panel.

You can pay the doctor or you can pay the grocer. I now choose to pay the grocer.
I don’t see much success going to the grocer for help should you have unfortunately develop cancer. Your statement is an oversimplification. Yes, good diet and exercise are essential to good health and that’s what doctors have been telling us for just about ever! Unfortunately, even incredibly healthy people, even top athletes, can develop cancer. Should they forgo medical treatment for that? I hope they don’t. One can live a healthy life and benefit from the advances in medical treatment. It doesn’t have to be an either/or choice.

Pahonu

#67 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:17 pm
Pahonu wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 11:30 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:14 pm
Chris109 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:41 pm
Pahonu wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 3:04 am

I’ll be very straightforward, I find offense in your quite cavalier comment about breast cancer, which is a leading cause of death for women in the US, behind only heart disease, I believe. To quote: “She got the shot and a booster or two. Now she has cancer in different parts of her body. Was it because of the shots? May as well blame them…” I’m truly sorry that your sister is suffering through this and I wish her well as I stated in my initial post. My comment was not political regarding vaccination or the pandemic. Breast cancer is an incredibly serious and important issue in women’s lives. Your seeming politicalization of the issue that has affected so many families over the years as somehow just the result of the COVID pandemic or the CDC or as you stated: “since by using the left's logic, every act of violence in this country is because of whitey supremo no matter what the race of the perp is, so therefore the shot is the cause of her cancer.” It’s a diminution of an incredibly complex and tragic set of circumstances surrounding this disease. Again, I wish your sister the best. The loss of my sister was an incredible loss to my mother and myself, and I wish no one, including you and your family, the same pain.
I never said anything about breast cancer. As a matter of fact, she has it on her spine. How many cases of spine cancer have you heard of? And my sister is the one who said it probably came from the shot. She said she would never have gotten it, but her job MANDATED it.
Just about everyone on my mother's side of the family has had cancer. Grandmother died of leukemia. Her brother (my great uncle who was a Polish WW1 hero) died of colon cancer. My mother had pancreatic cancer. My brother has/had bladder cancer. My other two sisters and brother have had polyps removed from their colons. On my father's side, everyone on his side loved their alcohol and eventually became demented. I don't take anything lightly.

And me? I'm the only one in the family whose scan came back negative for polyps. I stopped drinking many, many years ago, so I don't need any help going nuts. I can do that on my own.

So, I'll leave it there.
Chris, you make good points. There's so much out there right now causing all sorts of cancers and other diseases (which our ancestors never even heard of - they never had any of these ailments) that we don't even know about. What we consume, what we breathe, eat, etc. The last thing we need is more stuff injected into our bodies. I used to think people who avoided doctors and hospitals like the plague were a bit screwy. Now I'm beginning to understand them.
I’m sorry to hear you feel that way. The only point I would make is that medical advances are the very reason we live to the extended ages we do today. As a history teacher I will simply say that the life expectancy just 100 years ago in 1920 in the US was under 55 years. Now it is over 75 years. That’s because of medical advancements. The fact that 90% of current cancers are diagnosed in people over 45 explains very well why cancer rates are higher today than in the past. It’s nothing nefarious. We live much longer lives and cancer mutations rise with age. To take my point to its extreme, I can imagine very few people got cancer in the medieval period when life expectancy in Europe was less than 40. A small number of people then lived to the ages we typically do today and might have gotten cancer, but how unusual would that have been?

People 100 years ago had shorter lives not so much because of illnesses (or lack of treatments for them) but simply because they worked harder and led harder lives which took its toll on a body. Working out in the fields all day, everyday won't exactly prolong your life. All these cancers were nonexistent because folks didn't eat everything treated with chemicals. They breathed fresh air and most of what they consumed was organic. Not everything that people consumed was "treated" back then the way it is today. Plus X-rays, shots, pills, etc. People have cabinets overflowing with pills. Hence all these cancers. So yes people died of natural causes at 55 back then and that was normal.

As for calling 911 when you're having a heart attack that's an entirely different scenario. I'm not talking about life threatening situations here. Just people going to the doctors for every little thing. I know people like that. And then I hear "Oh why did I go? Why did I take his advice? I was better off before I did this or that procedure". Doctors just want to make money. It's not all about what's best for you.
Your statement is incorrect about the causes of lower mortality a century ago. Infant mortality has fallen from 100 per 1000 live births to about 10 since 1920, and maternal mortality has fallen from 8 per 1000 live births to far less than one. Death from childhood illnesses has also dropped dramatically because of vaccinations. Death from chronic illnesses such as hypertension, which existed a century ago based on evidence of blood pressure measurements, were completely untreatable and lead to significantly earlier mortality. All these factors and many more that lead to earlier mortality have been reduced through medical advances.

Arguing that the body just wore out a century ago is an incredible oversimplification. Individuals today with more physically demanding jobs still typically die at a younger age, but the difference is a matter of 2-3 years, not over a decade shorter. Dying of natural causes because the body wore out just isn’t an explanation. Dying of heart failure at 55 is the same as dying of heart failure at 85. The question is why did people die more often from heart failure at 55 in the past compared with today. Medical treatment of hypertension is a huge part of the answer.

As a historical point, a century ago in the US the majority of people lived in urban settings not on farms or in small towns. US census data shows us this was the first decade that was true. People weren’t mostly working on the farms. It was closer to 30%. Also, the air in these cities wasn’t very “fresh” with all the pollutants coming from the factories. In fact air and water quality have improved in the last several decades, largely because of environmental protection laws and the EPA, so dreaded by some.

I don’t understand the comment about X-rays. If you had broken bones and other internal injuries from a car accident for example, you wouldn’t want x-rays so doctors could correctly diagnose the injuries and properly treat them? Would you want them to guess? I also think you might want a “pill” or “shot” to help with the pain. I could be wrong I suppose, but most would. The development of anesthesia in the 19th century was also a great medical breakthrough allowing for more surgical options.

Pahonu

#68 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:50 pm

I’ve certainly lost a lot of faith in the regulatory bodies as well.

I’m a lifelong biotech investor/speculator. New drugs and procedures have always taken a decade to be approved. I’m uneasy about the cutting corners now. Good example is recommending the mRNA shots to pregnant women with virtually no data.

We also had our Canadian Government officials claiming Vitamin D (and other vitamins and supplements) as a prophylaxis for Covid was a “conspiracy theory”. C’Mon Man.
There was a global pandemic that necessitated vastly increased spending and manpower to increase the approval process. I am no Trump fan as many of you may have concluded, but the best thing his administration did was to pass what he called “Operation Warp Speed”. This provided massive resources that otherwise were unavailable to these pharmaceutical companies. Previously, anything they spent was a risk if approval wasn’t granted. They wisely moved forward cautiously with their own money. By way of analogy, a single person can build themselves a house in a year or two and save all that money on labor, or they can hire 100 people to build it in a few months at much greater cost to themselves. If they were handed the money, why wouldn’t they use the extra manpower.

Another thing that many people don’t realize is that there were multiple pharmaceutical companies that used those resources to develop a vaccine. It was six if I recall correctly, but only three made it through the whole approval process. I do know that Merck was one of those discontinued. The FDA wasn’t just pushing everything through without following their policies no matter what some think.

Pahonu

#69 Post by Pahonu »

There’s one last thing I would add. Many people don’t realize that the approval process for a vaccine is different than for drugs used on a daily basis. This is because the vaccine material is actually out of the body, typically within 24 hours as the body metabolic rate rises and begins its immune response. Daily drugs, of course, are reintroduced to the body with each dose, so the long term effects are studied incredibly thoroughly, over many years.

With all previous vaccines there has never been a side effect reported more than about 8 weeks from the vaccination, with the vast majority being within days or up to two weeks. Beyond that window, all reported symptoms were also symptoms of the illness itself for which the vaccination was given.

For example, about 1 of 30,000 recipients of measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine can experience a temporary decrease in platelets, a condition called thrombocytopenia. Platelets are the cells responsible for clotting of blood. However, measles and mumps infections also cause thrombocytopenia. The same is true for the blood clotting, or thrombosis, that has been associated in very small numbers (about 2 per million) with the Johnson & Johnson adenovirus-based vaccine. The very same thrombosis symptom was reported fairly commonly in COVID patients early in the pandemic before the vaccine was developed.

There have been many expressing concern that there will be some long term adverse effects from the vaccines years down the road, but this has never happened in all of immunological history. While it can never be ruled out completely, and proving a negative is not even possible, all the evidence from the last century suggest it won’t.