Ultra Hard Magnum Quiz

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Ultra Hard Magnum Quiz

#1 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Hi Guys,
I thought it might be fun to test the Magnum Mania posse on their knowledge of the series.

What is Felix Fong's business and with whom does he share office space with, and in what episode?
Hint - both of their separate business names are painted on the window of their shabby office in an 'establishing shot' in the episode.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Ultra Hard Magnum Quiz

#2 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:Hi Guys,
I thought it might be fun to test the Magnum Mania posse on their knowledge of the series.

What is Felix Fong's business and with whom does he share office space with, and in what episode?
Hint - both of their separate business names are painted on the window of their shabby office in an 'establishing shot' in the episode.

ANSWER:
In episode #83 "Dream a  Little Dream", Magnum's first office in 1979 is shown. Along with TM's stenciled monicker on a window is Felix Fong's Real Estate. 
Magnum apparently shares office space with Felix but we never see him, at least not in the edited version I watch on COZI-TV.
I thought that this question might be unfair but if you think about it, the answer must be a major character with(or had) his own business, which narrows it
down to TM, TC, Rick or Luther Gillis.
I pay attention to signs and name lists or wanted posters in TV series because fairly often they are in jokes. On the Honeymooners there is a board
with the names of all the Raccoons who owe dues, it also is the roster of all the writers.
On Maverick quite often the names of varmints might be actors or James Garner's brother and buddies. On Westerns the wanted poster photos were
often of the writers, or used the real birth names of stars on competing TV series.
One Western, according to the Joe Franklin Show, used photos of Brooklyn Dodgers on wanted posters because the producer was a NY Giants fan.
Maybe after Selleck releases his Bio it will be easier to spot in jokes on Magnum, character names turning out to be the names of his childhood
buddies.
The above mentioned Felix Fong may turn out to be Selleck's neighbor, who knows.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by 308GUY »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:

ANSWER:
In episode #83 "Dream a  Little Dream", Magnum's first office in 1979 is shown. Along with TM's stenciled monicker on a window is Felix Fong's Real Estate. 
Magnum apparently shares office space with Felix but we never see him, at least not in the edited version I watch on COZI-TV.
I thought that this question might be unfair but if you think about it, the answer must be a major character with(or had) his own business, which narrows it
down to TM, TC, Rick or Luther Gillis.
I pay attention to signs and name lists or wanted posters in TV series because fairly often they are in jokes. On the Honeymooners there is a board
with the names of all the Raccoons who owe dues, it also is the roster of all the writers.
On Maverick quite often the names of varmints might be actors or James Garner's brother and buddies. On Westerns the wanted poster photos were
often of the writers, or used the real birth names of stars on competing TV series.
One Western, according to the Joe Franklin Show, used photos of Brooklyn Dodgers on wanted posters because the producer was a NY Giants fan.
Maybe after Selleck releases his Bio it will be easier to spot in jokes on Magnum, character names turning out to be the names of his childhood
buddies.
The above mentioned Felix Fong may turn out to be Selleck's neighbor, who knows.

HA! I could see that window in my minds eye...but couldn't pin down what the episode was called. Knew that it was before TM was living at Robin's Nest and that it involved his first case as a private "investigator"....shoulda been able to recall....but you know what they say...your memory is the second thing to go....don't remember what the first thing was! :lol: :geek:

Neat idea and I look forward to seeing some of the experts being able to answer anything thrown at them! Sort of like the trivia "quizzes" that used to be on the radio....long time ago! You know like what was Andy Taylor's home address on the Andy Griffith Show? :lol:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

308GUY wrote:

ANSWER:

HA! I could see that window in my minds eye...but couldn't pin down what the episode was called. Knew that it was before TM was living at Robin's Nest and that it involved his first case as a private "investigator"....shoulda been able to recall....but you know what they say...your memory is the second thing to go....don't remember what the first thing was! :lol: :geek:
Neat idea and I look forward to seeing some of the experts being able to answer anything thrown at them! Sort of like the trivia "quizzes" that used to be on the radio....long time ago! You know like what was Andy Taylor's home address on the Andy Griffith Show? :lol:
Hi 308Guy,
What was Andy's address, please tell lest it bug me for weeks. In exchange I will give you this piece of Mayberry trivia never noted anywhere else to my knowledge.
Don Knotts appeared as Barney Fife on the Andy Griffith Show and the special "The Andy Griffith-Don Knotts-Jim Nabors Show", (see on You Tube).
He also appeared in uniform at the end of a Joey Bishop Show episode, which has apparently escaped notice because the series wasn't shown in 50 years till recently.

Next Quiz Question:
During the series run Magnum leaves Hawaii eight times for other locations. What locations and in what episodes did they appear in?
IF some one can answer this, please put up your own Magnum Trivia Quiz question in turn.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by K Hale »

Without cheating and looking at the episode list, I can only think of six...
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by 308GUY »

Dobie: Just used that as an example, BUT did find this:

"In one episode, Aunt Bee tells someone that their address is 332 Maple Road, and in another episode, Barney tells an investigator that Andy's address is 24 Elm Street."

In the episode called "Barney's Side Car" Opie is seen woodburning the address on the front of the house, but the only number he gets done before Andy discovers and stops him is a "3"...so that supports the 332 Maple Road address...truth is...I don't know...but I'd go with the 332 because of the woodburning incident.

Don't want to sidetrack this thread, so we'll let it go at that, and good luck to all trying to solve the next mystery! Hard enough just calling to mind the different locals...but also knowing and naming the episodes it occured in....SOMEBODY's gonna know it! :lol: :geek:

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Next Quiz Question:
During the series run Magnum leaves Hawaii eight times for other locations. What locations and in what episodes did they appear in?
IF some one can answer this, please put up your own Magnum Trivia Quiz question in turn.

Hi Guys,
I guess I am posting rotten questions or there s a dearth of true Magnum aficionados eager to be challenged. I'll post the locations as a
hint as to in which episodes Magnum left Hawaii:
1) Cambodia
2) Detroit
3) London
4) Los Angeles
5) San Francisco/Lake Tahoe
6) Sicily
7) Tidewater in Virginia
8) Washington DC

PS - For some reason when I post and use the number eight it comes out as a emoticon face. When I type it, it appears as an eight, but after
posting it it changes. So that's why there is no 8 above. This only happens in Magnum Mania for some reason.

----------------------------------------------------------------
" 'Yes I said. 'Isn't it pretty to think so?' "
Last line of The Sun Also Rises

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by K Hale »

Excellent! I forgot Sicily and DC.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by 308GUY »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: 1) Cambodia-All For One
2) Detroit-A Sense of Debt
3) London-Deja Vu
4) Los Angeles-LA
5) San Francisco/Lake Tahoe-Love For Sale Boat
6) Sicily-Italian Ice
7) Tidewater in Virginia-Going Home
8) Washington DC-Going Home & Resolutions
My best guesses. :geek:

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

308GUY wrote:
3) London-Deja Vu
4) Los Angeles-LA
6) Sicily-Italian Ice
We have a winner. As a reward you win a case of the product of Hawaii that John Hillerman shilled for in a series of ads during the last years of Magnum and afterwards.
In the ads he wasn't called Higgins but he was doing that character.
Hah, ain't nobody getting this one.
Confident Dobie
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in WATER there is bacteria."
...Ben Franklin, Scientist & Statesman

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by 308GUY »

"I don't like macadamia nuts!" - A.J. Simon ~ Ki'i's Don't Lie or was it Rick? :geek: :lol:

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#12 Post by Pahonu »

308GUY wrote:
3) London-Deja Vu
4) Los Angeles-LA
6) Sicily-Italian Ice
We have a winner. As a reward you win a case of the product of Hawaii that John Hillerman shilled for in a series of ads during the last years of Magnum and afterwards.
In the ads he wasn't called Higgins but he was doing that character.
Hah, ain't nobody getting this one.
Confident Dobie
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in WATER there is bacteria."
...Ben Franklin, Scientist & Statesman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1Q6c0BcZGc

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#13 Post by Pahonu »

308GUY wrote:"I don't like macadamia nuts!" - A.J. Simon ~ Ki'i's Don't Lie or was it Rick? :geek: :lol:
308GUY,

Ha, you answered it while I was posting the video clip! Two minutes apart. Dobie was a little too confident, I think. :wink:

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Pahonu wrote:
308GUY wrote:"I don't like macadamia nuts!" - A.J. Simon ~ Ki'i's Don't Lie or was it Rick? :geek: :lol:
308GUY,
Ha, you answered it while I was posting the video clip! Two minutes apart. Dobie was a little too confident, I think. :wink:
308 Guy, Pahonu,
The Trivia Game can be a cruel mistress, you guys served me a big slice of humble pie. But I will press on, in the spirit of my ancestor
"Turncoat" Gillis, who rowed a fleeing Benedict Arnold across the Hudson and into British lines.
Quiz Question:
Actress Shirley Rogers appears in the famous 'Snorkel Bit' in the opening credits wherein Magnum glances at her derriere
and reacts facially. This was from the episode 'Three Minus Two', Rogers also appearing in 'Don't Say Goodbye'.

The trivia question is, what other episode did she appear in, unbilled, in some crowd shots?

By the way, when Tom Selleck appeared on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert he explained his amusing reaction to Rogers while holding her was
for the benefit of the guys in the film crew who had been kidding him and good sport Shirley Rogers about the scene, and he never expected it to be used.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Quiz Question:
Actress Shirley Rogers appears in the famous 'Snorkel Bit' in the opening credits wherein Magnum glances at her derriere
and reacts facially. This was from the episode 'Three Minus Two', Rogers also appearing in 'Don't Say Goodbye'.
The trivia question is, what other episode did she appear in, unbilled, in some crowd shots?

ANSWER: She appeared in several crowd scenes in All Roads Lead To Floyd.

New Quiz Query:
Tom Selleck, Roger Mosley and Larry Manetti appeared on screen together only once after Magnum PI.
What was the name of the show?