Ultra Hard Magnum Quiz

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Ultra Hard Magnum Quiz

#46 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

terryfromkerry wrote:Okay guys ........ it's probably not even my turn to pose a quiz question yet . However here goes, I am 99% sure Magnum wore the black jungle bird aloha shirt ( a personal favourite of mine) in only 2 episodes. Can you name the episodes ? I am thinking (even as I type) this is way too easy a question for most MPI maniacs ! :D
terryfrom kerry,
Most excellent question, darned if I know the answer, but I do know that that particular shirt is enshrined in the Smithsonian. I'm guessing TC's
suspenders aren't.

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#47 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
terryfromkerry wrote:Okay guys ........ it's probably not even my turn to pose a quiz question yet . However here goes, I am 99% sure Magnum wore the black jungle bird aloha shirt ( a personal favourite of mine) in only 2 episodes. Can you name the episodes ? I am thinking (even as I type) this is way too easy a question for most MPI maniacs ! :D
terryfrom kerry,
Most excellent question, darned if I know the answer, but I do know that that particular shirt is enshrined in the Smithsonian. I'm guessing TC's
suspenders aren't.
Or Rick’s Gloria Vanderbilt jeans.
Faith and Begorrah!

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by terryfromkerry »

Fr. Paddy McGuinness wrote:
terryfrom kerry,
suspenders aren't.
Or Rick’s Gloria Vanderbilt jeans.
LOL guys ! I must say Luther's nephew Dobie, your introduction of the Ultra Hard Magnum Quiz was inspired. We can have lots of fun with this ! :lol:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by 308GUY »

terryfrom kerry,
suspenders aren't.
Thought it was the original red jungle bird shirt in the Smithsonian? :geek: .....BUT!.....I've been wrong before....and will be again. "It takes practice to bat .400...and NOBODY bats 1000!" :lol:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

308GUY wrote:
terryfrom kerry,
suspenders aren't.
Thought it was the original red jungle bird shirt in the Smithsonian? :geek: .....BUT!.....I've been wrong before....and will be again. "It takes practice to bat .400...and NOBODY bats 1000!" :lol:
Hi308,
I tried a end run and did a search on the black jungle bird and a Hawaiian shirt company selling them said that this version was in the Smithsonian as well.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by 308GUY »

Hi308,
I tried an end run and did a search on the black jungle bird and a Hawaiian shirt company selling them said that this version was in the Smithsonian as well.
Good enough...I didn't do the search....just went from "memory" and ....well...you know! :lol:....often time "Mermories are NOT forever!" LOL :lol:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by K Hale »

According to the Smithsonian... it's the red one, not the black one. https://siarchives.si.edu/blog/sneak-peek-1122011

Unfortunately the photo is in black and white, but you can tell the shirt isn't black.

Here is another source: https://alohafunwear.com/blogs/news/a-b ... m-pi-shirt

And this page has photos from the actual exhibit display: https://hiveminer.com/Tags/shirt%2Csmithsonian
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

K Hale wrote:According to the Smithsonian... it's the red one, not the black one. https://siarchives.si.edu/blog/sneak-peek-1122011
Unfortunately the photo is in black and white, but you can tell the shirt isn't black.
And this page has photos from the actual exhibit display: https://hiveminer.com/Tags/shirt%2Csmithsonian
You sold me, the shirt company was angling to hawk more shirts. I went back trying to find their link to send them a note,
and found this(at a shirt company site) from the July 18, 2010 Honolulu Star Advertiser -
"Second-hand detective solves case of missing 'Magnum' shirt' by Lee Cataluna."
Here is the link, scroll down till you see the story:

http://www.paradisefoundshirts.com/

Finding a Selleck autographed Hawaiian shirt for $2.99 that he had donated & presented himself
has got to be a one in a million chance.
This Honolulu Star Advertiser looks like a good source for local Magnum info as I seem to recall other posts(by
chickinthemiddle?) using stories from it. It might be the case this story was posted on Magnum Mania before
but I haven't as yet read all the threads, or forgot.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by terryfromkerry »

The answer : Skin Deep & The Curse Of The King Kamehameha Club ( Season 1 episodes 6 & 11).

I have one more question before I sign off ..............

What was the last episode to use the Ian Freebairn-Smith theme in the opening credits before the introduction of the iconic Mike Post & Pete Carpenter theme ?
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#55 Post by Pahonu »

K Hale wrote:According to the Smithsonian... it's the red one, not the black one. https://siarchives.si.edu/blog/sneak-peek-1122011

I've seen the red jungle bird shirt at the Smithsonian in person. It's the only one and it's DEFINITELY the red one. The ring was also on display along with the Da Nang and Tigers hat.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

K Hale wrote:OK... no one has gotten it so I’ll spill. Higgins uttered his first “Oh my God!” in S2 “Tropical Madness” when he opened the door expecting Jennifer Chapman only to find T.C. walking in. :lol:
That was a tough one KHale. This one should be easier:

NEXT QUESTION: What were TM's and Rick's favorite movies?
(I would suppose Higgins favorite could be "The Bridge on the River Kwai", but didn't he once make a disparaging remark about it?)

------------------------------------------
"This place gets more rain in 12 months than some places get in a year"
"Some of the animals are nocturnal, so the best time to see them is at night. Only you can't see them, because it's dark."
... Russell Coight, Outback dweller and Ocker, and host of "All Aussie Adventures" TV series.

Pahonu

#57 Post by Pahonu »

K Hale wrote:OK... no one has gotten it so I’ll spill. Higgins uttered his first “Oh my God!” in S2 “Tropical Madness” when he opened the door expecting Jennifer Chapman only to find T.C. walking in. :lol:

(I would suppose Higgins favorite could be "The Bridge on the River Kwai", but didn't he once make a disparaging remark about it?)

"Some of the animals are nocturnal, so the best time to see them is at night. Only you can't see them, because it's dark."
... Russell Coight, Outback dweller and Ocker, and host of "All Aussie Adventures" TV series.
Rick's has to be Casablanca with his Bogey impersonation in the pilot. Magnum's must be Stalag 17 with Bill Holden, though he seems to love lots of whodunnits. I always liked the original idea of Rick owning a club inhabited by the underworld. I wonder how that could have been developed.

Edit: I was a film major and wrote a research paper on David Lean's The Bridge on the River Kwai, another Bill Holden film. It was the 1957 Academy Award winning best film and Alec Guinness won the best actor Oscar for his portrayal of Col. Nicholson as did Lean for direction. The Japanese silent film star, Sessue Hayakawa came out of retirement to portray Col. Saito. The two writers were blacklisted and the Oscar for screenplay went to the French author Pierre Boulle who spoke no English!

I think Higgins disliked the fact that the film changed the circumstances under which the bridge was destroyed. It was bombed rather than destroyed by detonation. Madness! Madness!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by K Hale »

I think Magnum’s is Stalag 17. Higgins did mention in Skin Deep that he had been a fan of David Norman since seeing the movie Khyber Pass so maybe that’s his favorite.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Pahonu wrote:
NEXT QUESTION: What were TM's and Rick's favorite movies? (I would suppose Higgins favorite could be "The Bridge on the River Kwai", but didn't he once make a disparaging remark about it?)

Rick's has to be Casablanca with his Bogey impersonation in the pilot. Magnum's must be Stalag 17 with Bill Holden, though he seems to love lots of whodunnits. I always liked the original idea of Rick owning a club inhabited by the underworld. I wonder how that could have been developed.Edit: I was a film major and wrote a research paper on David Lean's The Bridge on the River Kwai, another Bill Holden film. It was the 1957 Academy Award winning best film and Alec Guinness won the best actor Oscar for his portrayal of Col. Nicholson as did Lean for direction. The Japanese silent film star, Sessue Hayakawa came out of retirement to portray Col. Saito. The two writers were blacklisted and the Oscar for screenplay went to the French author Pierre Boulle who spoke no English!I think Higgins disliked the fact that the film changed the circumstances under which the bridge was destroyed. It was bombed rather than destroyed by detonation. Madness! Madness!

Hi Pohonu
You are right of course.
You know it's a rare movie that is better than the original book it is based on. "Bridge on the River Kwai" is light years better than the book, as is "True Grit" and most amazingly, "To Have and to Have Not", which was based on a series of strung together short stories by Ernest Hemingway, definitely one of his lesser efforts.
And "The Ten Commandments" packs a lot more star power than it's source material. :)

NEXT QUESTION:
What is the slogan of the ANIGRAMS company, and in what episode do it's employees memorably appear?

---------------------------------------------------------------
"Today we're going to explore some flora and fauna, and if we're lucky we might see some plants and animals too!"  Russell Coight, Outback dweller and Ocker, and host of "All Aussie Adventures" TV series.

Pahonu

#60 Post by Pahonu »

I don’t know the slogan but I’m pretty sure it was in A Pretty Good Dancing Chicken.
Was that the same one as with the dancing nurse? I’m not so sure now?