Ultra Hard Magnum Quiz

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: Ultra Hard Magnum Quiz

#61 Post by K Hale »

Totally disagree on True Grit. This has nothing to do with anything, but I just had to say that. :lol:
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

K Hale wrote:Totally disagree on True Grit. This has nothing to do with anything, but I just had to say that. :lol:
I call that bold talk for a Magnum Mania Fan! Fill your hand you SOB!
Okay, not really. :)
I read True Grit in my twenties and was bored to death. I wanted to like it, but no go. I am definitely in the minority on this one, though.
And I understand it's all subjective. Like the TV series VEEP that garners all the awards. I watched two episodes and all I saw was a bunch
of strung together one liners delivered by oh so smug, aren't we great gits who could never understand the greatness of a show like Andy
Griffith where the humor flowed just because of who the characters were.
The famous 'Citizens Arrest' line is not remotely a one liner in the VEEPS sense, but as used by Jim Nabors as Gomer Pyle chasing Barney Fife
it is one of the funniest moments in TV history. Johnny Carson ranked it as the best humor wise, on the part of the writers and Nabors.
Alan King cited the (Greek)chorus of the Mayberry citizen onlookers as greatly enhancing the moment in a purely American way, which is a
little over stated to me but who am I to disagree with Alan. But I digress.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Schnooks rush in where wise men fear to tread"...Grandpa Munster

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Pahonu wrote:I don’t know the slogan but I’m pretty sure it was in A Pretty Good Dancing Chicken.
Was that the same one as with the dancing nurse? I’m not so sure now?
Hi Pahonu,
Yes, that was the episode. The ANIGRAMS slogan was "Any Animal, Any Message, Any Occasion."

NEXT QUESTION:
Who is Catoomba Noomba?

---------------------------------------------------------
"Today we're going to explore some flora and fauna, and if we're lucky we might see some
plants and animals too!"
Russell Coight, Outback dweller and Ocker, and host of "All Aussie Adventures" TV series.

Steve-O
Commander

#64 Post by Steve-O »

NEXT QUESTION: Who is Catoomba Noomba?
Higgins is said to have had six half-siblings.
Seen: Elmo Ziller, Fr. Paddy McGuinness, Don Luis Mongueo.
Unseen: Soo Ling, Elizabeth Whitefeather, Catoomba Noomba.

NEXT QUESTION: In one particular episode, Thomas must leave the guesthouse quickly and for an indefinite period of time. In doing so,
he grabs one important (to him) survival item from the top of his fridge. What does he grab and what episode are we referring to?

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Steve-O wrote:
NEXT QUESTION: Who is Catoomba Noomba?
Higgins is said to have had six half-siblings.
Seen: Elmo Ziller, Fr. Paddy McGuinness, Don Luis Mongueo.
Unseen: Soo Ling, Elizabeth Whitefeather, Catoomba Noomba.

NEXT QUESTION: In one particular episode, Thomas must leave the guesthouse quickly and for an indefinite period of time. In doing so,
he grabs one important (to him) survival item from the top of his fridge. What does he grab and what episode are we referring to?
Hi Steve-0,
It doesn't look like anyone is going to get this one, and the query is really bugging me as I can almost visualize it!
Could you please reveal the answer? Thank you.

-----------------------------------------------------
"You know I quit my job at the bakery. I got sick of the dough and decided to go on the loaf"
Curly Howard (The Three Stooges)

Steve-O
Commander

#66 Post by Steve-O »

Hi Steve-0,
It doesn't look like anyone is going to get this one, and the query is really bugging me as I can almost visualize it!
Sure thing Dobie!
On short notice to vacate the guesthouse so that Betty can use it, Thomas grabs several "survival" items: the gorilla mask, a tennis racquet,
his rubber chicken... . but the survival item he grabs from atop the fridge is a whole pack of Fig Newtons :wink: . The episode: Kiss of the Sabre.
Last edited by Steve-O on Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Steve-O wrote:
Hi Steve-0,
Sure thing Dobie!
On short notice to vacate the guesthouse so that Betty can use it, Thomas grabs several "survival" items: the gorilla mask, a tennis racquet,
his rubber chicken...), but the survival item he grabs from atop the fridge is a whole pack of Fig Newtons :wink: . The episode: Kiss of the Sabre.
Steve-O,
Kiss of the Sabre is a good episode to get trivia questions from because I suspect most fans are like me and avoid watching it.

NEXT QUESTION:
What Magnum actor appeared in a TV series as the owner of Mac's Bar? This series also featured another Magnum actor.

-----------------------------------------
Luther Gillis: "Shove it, Scrungo!"

Steve-O
Commander

#68 Post by Steve-O »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Steve-O,
Kiss of the Sabre is a good episode to get trivia questions from because I suspect most fans are like me and avoid watching it.
NEXT QUESTION:
What Magnum actor appeared in a TV series as the owner of Mac's Bar? This series also featured another Magnum actor.
In 1993, John Hillerman appeared as ex-spy John J. "Mac" MacKenzie in the short-lived euro-series Berlin Break. He was the owner of Mac's Bar in Berlin, where
barkeeper Mitch was played by Jeff MacKay. Strangely enough, the 26-episode series was a project of producer/writer Reuben Leder, who we know well from MPI.
Also, how cool is it that MacKay's character Mitch works at a bar called Mac's?
NEXT QUESTION:
In one particular episode where Thomas breaks the fourth wall BIG-time, he is seen several times consuming a sobering elixir from what was then a very popular product.
What specifically is the product and which episode are we referring to?
Last edited by Steve-O on Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Steve-O wrote:
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Steve-O,
NEXT QUESTION:
In 1993, John Hillerman appeared as ex-spy John J. "Mac" MacKenzie in the short-lived euro-series Berlin Break. He was the owner of Mac's Bar in Berlin, where
barkeeper Mitch was played by Jeff MacKay. Strangely enough, the 26-episode series was a project of producer/writer Reuben Leder, who we know well from MPI.
Also, how cool is it that MacKay's character Mitch works at a bar called Mac's?
NEXT QUESTION:
In one particular episode where Thomas breaks the fourth wall BIG-time, he is seen several times consuming a sobering elixir from what was then a very popular product?
Steve-O,
A sobering elixir? So if one had spent a night at McSorleys Ale House in the 1980's drinking with the likes of Hunter Thompson or Montego Dave
etc and reeled home in a state of bliss, with a half slobbered on cat toy inadvertently put in your pocket belonging to one of the McSorleys bar cats(happened to me),
there was some satanic product crafted in the darkest depths of Hades that removed the glorious warm glow you had just spent the night so single mindedly
developing? No wonder this product didn't survive the 1980's.
Boy Steve-O, I can't wait till someone supplies the answer to your query as I can't imagine what this elixir is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
- DEAN WORMER (John Vernon) in National Lampoon's Animal House (1978)

Steve-O
Commander

#70 Post by Steve-O »

Steve-O wrote: NEXT QUESTION:
In one particular episode where Thomas breaks the fourth wall BIG-time, he is seen several times consuming a sobering elixir from what was then a very popular product.
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Boy Steve-O, I can't wait till someone supplies the answer to your query as I can't imagine what this elixir is.
As this is the "Ultra Hard Magnum Quiz", I don't want to give too much away in the question, just point ya in the general direction.
This question was not about the elixir, it was about what the elixir is being consumed from.
The elixir is coffee— a magical substance for many people. The popular product from which the coffee is being consumed from is a Corelle Ware mug sporting the Old Town Blue motif. I only identified the mug because my folks bought this set with the mugs back in the 70s, and still use most of it today. I had never seen the Old Town Blue motif anywhere outside of my parent's home until I saw it ages ago on this episode of MPI, which by the way is Season 7's Out of Sync. Thomas speaks directly to the camera several times during the episode as he summarizes thoughts/events.
Last edited by Steve-O on Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#71 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I had never seen the Old Town Blue motif anywhere outside of my parent's home until I saw it ages ago on this episode of MPI, which by the way is Season 7's Out of Sync.
I ate many a meal off of an Old Town Blue plate. My grandma had that set of dinnerware, but I didn't know until I read this what it was called. I knew it was Corelle, but not the name of the pattern.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#72 Post by Pahonu »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:
I had never seen the Old Town Blue motif anywhere outside of my parent's home until I saw it ages ago on this episode of MPI, which by the way is Season 7's Out of Sync.
I ate many a meal off of an Old Town Blue plate. My grandma had that set of dinnerware, but I didn't know until I read this what it was called. I knew it was Corelle, but not the name of the pattern.
My mom had Corelle dishes when I was young but they had a green flower pattern around the rims. I just looked them up and they’re called Spring Blossom. I recognized them immediately from all my breakfasts and lunches eaten on them. They were also a very 70’s shade of green. LOL!

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

My mom had Butterfly Gold Corelle. She still has a few pieces of it. I think I like the green Spring Blossom the best.
I don't remember anybody having that one!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

New Quiz Question:

In what episode of Magnum did 2 characters discuss watching the Rockford Files, and which Rockford guest star's role did they mention?

--------------------------------------------------------------
Moe: We have a request to execute a song entitled "She was bread in Old Kentucky but she's just a crumb up here."
The 3 Stooges(Local Boy Makes Good)

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#75 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:New Quiz Question:

In what episode of Magnum did 2 characters discuss watching the Rockford Files, and which Rockford guest star's role did they mention?

Tiger’s Fan and Lance White.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Moe: We have a request to execute a song entitled "She was bread in Old Kentucky but she's just a crumb up here."
The 3 Stooges(Local Boy Makes Good)