Any boaters?

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Re: Any boaters?

#31 Post by T.Q. »

Reef monkey wrote:Nice wahoo, TQ!

Speaking of big fish and small boats, I take my 9' kayak off the beach out beyond the breakers from time to time to fish. I catch big bull redfish and black drum, king and spanish mackerel, jacks, red snapper around the close in production rigs, and my fair share of sharks. I use wire leaders because the mackerels' teeth will cut right through mono or braided. On one exceptionally clear (water wise) summer day a couple years ago I hooked a spanish mackerel, and had gotten it about 10 feet from the kayak when a big bull shark, must have been about 12 feet, swallowed the thing whole and started running, pulling me and my kayak with it. I ended up cutting myself in my haste to grab my PFD knife and cut the line at the reel. I paddled back to the beach and was done offshore kayak fishing for the rest of the summer. It's a good thing sit on top kayaks have self-draining scupper holes in the seat. :lol:
Great story Reef. Thanks for sharing.

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#32 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote:
Reef monkey wrote:Nice wahoo, TQ!

Speaking of big fish and small boats, I take my 9' kayak off the beach out beyond the breakers from time to time to fish. I catch big bull redfish and black drum, king and spanish mackerel, jacks, red snapper around the close in production rigs, and my fair share of sharks. I use wire leaders because the mackerels' teeth will cut right through mono or braided. On one exceptionally clear (water wise) summer day a couple years ago I hooked a spanish mackerel, and had gotten it about 10 feet from the kayak when a big bull shark, must have been about 12 feet, swallowed the thing whole and started running, pulling me and my kayak with it. I ended up cutting myself in my haste to grab my PFD knife and cut the line at the reel. I paddled back to the beach and was done offshore kayak fishing for the rest of the summer. It's a good thing sit on top kayaks have self-draining scupper holes in the seat. :lol:
Great story Reef. Thanks for sharing.

Hey Reef Monkey,

That is a great story. Haven't talked to you in a while.

It reminds me of a time when my family was camping several years ago at a pretty remote beach along the Central Coast here in CA, called Jalama. It's just south of Vandenberg Air Force Base. We were making breakfast at our campsite on the sand and watched two guys load up their two kayaks with gear to go fishing. It seemed to take forever with all the stuff they had and launching through the surf was tricky. Anyway, they made it out after all and we finished breakfast. Then it seemed like 20 minutes later and we saw them paddling back in so I asked one of them if they caught something big so quickly. The first guy looked spooked and didn't answer me but the second guy said they saw a shark as long as their kayaks swimming around under them for several minutes and they headed straight back! I'd guess their kayaks were 12-14 feet. There had been a shark fatality just north of that area earlier involving a surfer. I remember we were all a lot more cautious about the water for the rest of the trip!

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by terryfromkerry »

I am not a boater guys but I am loving your stories. :)
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Always keep a lookout for the dreaded shark-eating-man.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by terryfromkerry »

LOL! Hopefully no sharks were hurt in the making of this feature ! :lol:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by T.Q. »

I posted my car. May as well post my little boat again (same thing photbucket deleted).

Just got name on it.

Ooooodles of fun on the Atlantic. Surprised I'm not dead. :lol:

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#37 Post by 80s Big Hair »

I put in my dock last week which was not a whole lot of fun. In total there are four boats on the property if you include two rowboats and one small sailboat. Well, there are kayaks as well, so seven boats. The main boat is a big pontoon boat that barely fits in the boathouse. The sailboat I have been meaning to sell as I do not know how to sail. I'll take a picture of the pontoon boat the next time I am up there. From the picture I imagine you will think, "Yup. That is a pontoon boat."

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. you're making us non-boat owners jealous. But I'm not close to the water to own one anyway. Still, yours looks very nice and even has some kind of Hawaiian name it looks like.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by T.Q. »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:53 pm T.Q. you're making us non-boat owners jealous. But I'm not close to the water to own one anyway. Still, yours looks very nice and even has some kind of Hawaiian name it looks like.
No Ka 'Oi is Hawaiian for "Is The Best".

ie. Often heard expression Maui Nokaoi

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:43 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:53 pm T.Q. you're making us non-boat owners jealous. But I'm not close to the water to own one anyway. Still, yours looks very nice and even has some kind of Hawaiian name it looks like.
No Ka 'Oi is Hawaiian for "Is The Best".

ie. Often heard expression Maui Nokaoi
Isn't that what Hilo Hattie says in the Five-O ep "The Late John Louisiana"?

Maui No Ka 'Oi. Pretty sure that's what she said to McGarrett.

Pahonu

#41 Post by Pahonu »

80s Big Hair wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:35 pm I put in my dock last week which was not a whole lot of fun. In total there are four boats on the property if you include two rowboats and one small sailboat. Well, there are kayaks as well, so seven boats. The main boat is a big pontoon boat that barely fits in the boathouse. The sailboat I have been meaning to sell as I do not know how to sail. I'll take a picture of the pontoon boat the next time I am up there. From the picture I imagine you will think, "Yup. That is a pontoon boat."
I’ve been sailing for about 30 years now, learned on a Hobie 16 cat. I taught my son, daughter, and wife to sail. Only my son still does. A buddy of mine is actually a Coast Guard approved sailing instructor. If you were close I could teach you. :D

I have a 1968 Columbia 28 sloop slipped here in Alamitos Bay in Long Beach, Irish Mist. Behind it is an Achilles 11-foot inflatable, plus three kayaks on the fingers. Only five, so you beat me! :lol:

Edit:

I forgot about my sons little Sabot sailing dinghy, so we have six. Of course he’s too big for it now and hasn’t sailed it in about three years but he used to race it years ago. My daughter sailed it as well but only for one summer. It’s now on top of the storage unit in our parking structure. I’m way too big for it. My wife could sail it but never has. I guess it’s time to let it go. :(
Last edited by Pahonu on Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pahonu

#42 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:41 pm I posted my car. May as well post my little boat again (same thing photbucket deleted).

Just got name on it.

Ooooodles of fun on the Atlantic. Surprised I'm not dead. :lol:

That’s a great name and I like the font.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by T.Q. »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:10 pm
That’s a great name and I like the font.
Thanks. I tried to do a Hawaiian Royalty type font.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by T.Q. »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:21 pm
Isn't that what Hilo Hattie says in the Five-O ep "The Late John Louisiana"?

Maui No Ka 'Oi. Pretty sure that's what she said to McGarrett.
I believe I did hear it in an episode. Must be.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Chris109 »

Never been a blow-boater.

"Blow boaters are only friendly when they want to borrow some Grey Poupon."

Always preferred the cruiser.

Old adage1: Best 2 days for a boater are: the day he buys it, and the day he sells it.

Old adage2: Boats are just a hole in the water that you just keep throwing money into.