Any boaters?

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Re: Any boaters?

#16 Post by T.Q. »

Nifty911 wrote:My second boat was a 17' fish and ski. I spent a lot of time in it but eventually had to sell as I ran out of time to spend on it. While 17' is a good size, there is a big difference in that and a 21' (or more). I personally wouldn't take mine out beyond 5 or so miles.

My advice, and I'm serious...

Always let someone know when you go out, and what time you plan to return. I know people involved in two different incidents where they spent the night IN the water after they capsized.

Get one of those GPS transponder things. They weren't around when I was boating but I read they are life savors now.

Always check the weather before you go out, and right before you go out. (See the story about Jupiter FL and the two kids who went missing)

Learn how the motor operates if you don't already know. Late one Friday afternoon, my bro n law and I had a scare. The boat began to cut out every 30 sec or so. Fortunately for me he knew enough about motors to nurse it back in. (This was before cell phones).

Make sure you have all your docs if you get stopped, and at some point you will. If you fish, pay attention to the limits. They search boats up here pretty thoroughly. Total PIA if something isn't legit.

Also, if you have anyone with you, make sure aren't walking around and stuff while you're at speed. Friend was thrown own of a boat while on a lake when they hit a wake. Some accidents involve head injuries when people get tossed.

Bring it!

Always let someone know when you go out, and what time you plan to return. I know people involved in two different incidents where they spent the night IN the water after they capsized.

Yes. Awesome. My wife knows the time I say I'm coming back and I make sure I stay in contact.

Get one of those GPS transponder things. They weren't around when I was boating but I read they are life savors now.

I have a Spot Tracer for theft. It sends (delayed 10 minutes) tracking where I am. If I don't report in she can find me.

Always check the weather before you go out, and right before you go out. (See the story about Jupiter FL and the two kids who went missing)

Because it's a small boat I have a wave app I watch. Look for calmer days. Also watch for storms/lightning.

Learn how the motor operates if you don't already know. Late one Friday afternoon, my bro n law and I had a scare. The boat began to cut out every 30 sec or so. Fortunately for me he knew enough about motors to nurse it back in. (This was before cell phones).

This a a toughy. Will take time and experience.

Make sure you have all your docs if you get stopped, and at some point you will. If you fish, pay attention to the limits. They search boats up here pretty thoroughly. Total PIA if something isn't legit.

I'm in the Bahamas. We call it the Wild West. The odd chance they stop me it will be to check if I've paid the taxes and duties on the boat but I can pretty much talk my way out of anything here. LOL

Also, if you have anyone with you, make sure aren't walking around and stuff while you're at speed. Friend was thrown own of a boat while on a lake when they hit a wake. Some accidents involve head injuries when people get tossed.

Thanks. I also learned quickly when out alone. One time I leaned over to adjust fishing rod when I was moving and immediately thought "wow, this is dangerous if I fell overboard". Now I'm super cautious.

Thanks a ton for your advice and tips!
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Kevster »

T.Q. wrote:
Nifty911 wrote:My second boat was a 17' fish and ski. I spent a lot of time in it but eventually had to sell as I ran out of time to spend on it. While 17' is a good size, there is a big difference in that and a 21' (or more). I personally wouldn't take mine out beyond 5 or so miles.

Bring it!

Yes. Awesome. My wife knows the time I say I'm coming back and I make sure I stay in contact.

I have a Spot Tracer for theft. It sends (delayed 10 minutes) tracking where I am. If I don't report in she can find me.

Because it's a small boat I have a wave app I watch. Look for calmer days. Also watch for storms/lightning.

I'm in the Bahamas. We call it the Wild West. The odd chance they stop me it will be to check if I've paid the taxes and duties on the boat but I can pretty much talk my way out of anything here. LOL

Thanks. I also learned quickly when out alone. One time I leaned over to adjust fishing rod when I was moving and immediately thought "wow, this is dangerous if I fell overboard". Now I'm super cautious.

I have been boating since Age 7, and grew up boating in Jupiter, FL (noted above, referencing the two teens who disappeared). We almost never had flares on board, but we had everything else the USCG recommended at the time. For a boat under 20', we were comfortable in the local rivers, the inlet when it wasn't too bad, and along the beach within a few miles of the inlet on calm days. The best equipment on board was good judgement, experience, and a healthy respect for it all.

By age 13, I would take the boat out myself. Of course, I had more time in the boat by that age than most people get by 30. My father an I fished five days a week for entire Summers after my father retired. I probably had 10,000 hours on the boat by 13-14.

Those two teens were lost because of a lack of the equipment I noted above. SHAME!
Trust Me!!!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by T.Q. »

Kevster wrote:I have been boating since Age 7, and grew up boating in Jupiter, FL (noted above, referencing the two teens who disappeared). We almost never had flares on board, but we had everything else the USCG recommended at the time. For a boat under 20', we were comfortable in the local rivers, the inlet when it wasn't too bad, and along the beach within a few miles of the inlet on calm days. The best equipment on board was good judgement, experience, and a healthy respect for it all.

By age 13, I would take the boat out myself. Of course, I had more time in the boat by that age than most people get by 30. My father an I fished five days a week for entire Summers after my father retired. I probably had 10,000 hours on the boat by 13-14.

Those two teens were lost because of a lack of the equipment I noted above. SHAME!
I take my life jacket, my phone in waterproof case (worked up to 4 miles out) and my wife tracks me. Boat has fire extinguisher too.

You think I should have flares?

Thx
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Kevster »

T.Q. wrote:
Kevster wrote:I have been boating since Age 7, and grew up boating in Jupiter, FL (noted above, referencing the two teens who disappeared). We almost never had flares on board, but we had everything else the USCG recommended at the time. For a boat under 20', we were comfortable in the local rivers, the inlet when it wasn't too bad, and along the beach within a few miles of the inlet on calm days. The best equipment on board was good judgement, experience, and a healthy respect for it all.

I take my life jacket, my phone in waterproof case (worked up to 4 miles out) and my wife tracks me. Boat has fire extinguisher too.

Thx
You should have a sound producing device (serious whistle, portable airhorn, etc.), a way to signal visually, life vests, throwable floatation devices, and at least one fire extinguisher. Flares work without power....

They say if you go offshore at all you should carry a radio or sat. phone, though that may be impractical.

I was never out of swimming range of the beach, and the water was 80 degrees. Three to four miles out in cooler water can be a death sentence. Different approach for different climates.
Trust Me!!!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by T.Q. »

Kevster wrote:You should have a sound producing device (serious whistle, portable airhorn, etc.), a way to signal visually, life vests, throwable floatation devices, and at least one fire extinguisher. Flares work without power....

They say if you go offshore at all you should carry a radio or sat. phone, though that may be impractical.

I was never out of swimming range of the beach, and the water was 80 degrees. Three to four miles out in cooler water can be a death sentence. Different approach for different climates.
Thanks Kevster.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#21 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote:

Thx
I've been sailing for over 25 years, and what Kevster has said is correct, but I have been waaay out of swimming range to the beach on many occasions, so I am prepared for that. I also sail near the largest port complex on our side of the Pacific, so there are some considerations for that as well. It's not the kind of gunkholing and river boating common on the East coast. The continental shelf drops of quickly and you are in deep water very soon, and there are no navigable rivers to head into. We do enjoy the Channel Islands offshore, though.

I would definitely say a hand held VHS is needed, not just a phone. On more than one occasion I have had to communicate with another boat. If you are out alone you should be wearing the PFD not just have it aboard. I have an inflatable one I wear alone that's not bulky. They're not cheap, but a smart investment. I went overboard once, but that was with someone and I was back aboard in a few minutes. He tossed me the throwable immediately and stopped the boat. By yourself, you're screwed. I know your not in the US, but the USCG requires the things Kevster has listed, like a visual signal and sound producing device, on any powered vessel over 20 feet, I think it is.

I have used the air horn in dense fog while passing through the shipping lanes south of the Port of LA/LB. It was like soup n one occasion and we could hear the ships sounding their horns. My friend would use the horn every five minutes or so. We couldn't see the breakwater until we were 50 feet away and we were trying to find the gate. It was unnerving, to say the least. I always have flares aboard though I have never used one in an emergency. They expire every couple of years, but they're not expensive. I see what else I can think of.

Nifty911
Captain

#22 Post by Nifty911 »

Kevster wrote:
T.Q. wrote:

Bring it!

I have been boating since Age 7, and grew up boating in Jupiter, FL (noted above, referencing the two teens who disappeared). We almost never had flares on board, but we had everything else the USCG recommended at the time. For a boat under 20', we were comfortable in the local rivers, the inlet when it wasn't too bad, and along the beach within a few miles of the inlet on calm days. The best equipment on board was good judgement, experience, and a healthy respect for it all.

You are right. Flares - I forgot to mention that. I has some cheesy emergency kit that contains I think two.

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Reef monkey »

Pahonu wrote:
Looks beautiful! Hope you enjoyed yourself and weren't too stressed. You know what they say, the worst day on the water is better than the best day on land!
Tell that to the crew of the Edmund Fitzgerald :lol:
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Reef monkey »

T.Q. wrote:Got my first ever boat.

Little starter 17'4" Freeport Skiff*.

Any boaters here have any tips for a newbie so I don't get lost at sea?

It's nerve-wracking learning something new at 46. :P

* Naming it the King Kamehameha IV is OUT. It would never fit on the side! :P
As my profile pic might suggest, I do a little boating. My family has had a house on a canal on Galveston Island since 1984, so I practically grew up on the water. My brothers and I had little aluminum jonboat with a 3 hp outboard, used to run all over the bay. In my teens I got into sailing, and I'm still into it, as well as kayaking. I have a JY 15 (sailboat), kayak, and canoe, and I also use my dad's 19' Grady White (outboard runabout) quite a lot. My kayak is a sit-on-top type, and have to admit more than a few times I've imagined it was a surfski and I was TM in the Molokai Channel.

As far as equipment goes, lifejackets for everyone, and in a smaller boat like that, I recommend everyone wear them when the boat is under way. Inflatables are spendy, but are a lot more comfortable for all-day wear than a traditional (though I wear a traditional in Texas in the summer and don't mind it). Like others said, signalling flares, a VHS radio - handhelds are really cheap and a good start, but you can get an okay fixed mount for only about $125, and with the tall antenna, you get a lot more range than with a handheld. VHS radios generally all pick up the NOAA weather channel (I assume you can pick that up in the Bahamas?). Buy a GPS for navigation - a handheld will do just fine. Buy nautical charts of the area and learn how to read them.

On top of that, consider getting an emergency positioning beacon. The big ones, called EPIRBs, start at around $400, but you can get a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) for around $300. Don't try to save money by going used, unless you really know what you are buying. They phased out the 121.5 MHZ ones, so satellites only detect the 406 MHz ones now. Basically what these devices do when activated is send your position to satellites, which then relay the information to ground stations that inform the nearest SAR unit to you, US Coast Guard, Royal Bahamas Defence Force, whatever the case may be, and they go and pick you up. EPIRBs will automatically activate if your boat sinks, their mount has a hydrostatic release, so the EPIRB floats to the surface and keeps transmitting. PLBs are smaller and you can wear them on your person.

Outboards are so much more reliable (and quieter) than they used to be even 25 years ago, but if you wanted a backup motor you could mount an electric trolling motor. Would be enough to let you limp back to the marina if you're not too far away on a calmer day.

The best thing you can get is knowledge. Take courses. Here in the US the Coast Guard Auxillary and US Power Squadrons both have excellent courses. You can do the Power Squadron course online. http://www.americasboatingcourse.com/ I'm not sure what, if any, equivalent courses are offered in the Bahamas. If you just want to be safe power boating, and don't need a specific course to fulfill a Bahamas licensing requirement, you can't beat Power Squadrons.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by T.Q. »

Reef monkey wrote:
T.Q. wrote:Got my first ever boat.

Little starter 17'4" Freeport Skiff*.

Any boaters here have any tips for a newbie so I don't get lost at sea?

It's nerve-wracking learning something new at 46. :P

* Naming it the King Kamehameha IV is OUT. It would never fit on the side! :P
As my profile pic might suggest, I do a little boating. My family has had a house on a canal on Galveston Island since 1984, so I practically grew up on the water. My brothers and I had little aluminum jonboat with a 3 hp outboard, used to run all over the bay. In my teens I got into sailing, and I'm still into it, as well as kayaking. I have a JY 15 (sailboat), kayak, and canoe, and I also use my dad's 19' Grady White (outboard runabout) quite a lot. My kayak is a sit-on-top type, and have to admit more than a few times I've imagined it was a surfski and I was TM in the Molokai Channel.

As far as equipment goes, lifejackets for everyone, and in a smaller boat like that, I recommend everyone wear them when the boat is under way. Inflatables are spendy, but are a lot more comfortable for all-day wear than a traditional (though I wear a traditional in Texas in the summer and don't mind it). Like others said, signalling flares, a VHS radio - handhelds are really cheap and a good start, but you can get an okay fixed mount for only about $125, and with the tall antenna, you get a lot more range than with a handheld. VHS radios generally all pick up the NOAA weather channel (I assume you can pick that up in the Bahamas?). Buy a GPS for navigation - a handheld will do just fine. Buy nautical charts of the area and learn how to read them.

On top of that, consider getting an emergency positioning beacon. The big ones, called EPIRBs, start at around $400, but you can get a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) for around $300. Don't try to save money by going used, unless you really know what you are buying. They phased out the 121.5 MHZ ones, so satellites only detect the 406 MHz ones now. Basically what these devices do when activated is send your position to satellites, which then relay the information to ground stations that inform the nearest SAR unit to you, US Coast Guard, Royal Bahamas Defence Force, whatever the case may be, and they go and pick you up. EPIRBs will automatically activate if your boat sinks, their mount has a hydrostatic release, so the EPIRB floats to the surface and keeps transmitting. PLBs are smaller and you can wear them on your person.

Outboards are so much more reliable (and quieter) than they used to be even 25 years ago, but if you wanted a backup motor you could mount an electric trolling motor. Would be enough to let you limp back to the marina if you're not too far away on a calmer day.

The best thing you can get is knowledge. Take courses. Here in the US the Coast Guard Auxillary and US Power Squadrons both have excellent courses. You can do the Power Squadron course online. http://www.americasboatingcourse.com/ I'm not sure what, if any, equivalent courses are offered in the Bahamas. If you just want to be safe power boating, and don't need a specific course to fulfill a Bahamas licensing requirement, you can't beat Power Squadrons.
Thanks Reef Monkey.

Got the jackets. Got hand helds. Take my cell phone. Fire extinguisher on board.

I don’t go too far so feel pretty safe.

I like the idea of backup motor but the boat is so small it’s already kinda tight.

There is a local course I can take. I’ve been learning from my Bahamian friends who have been around the water their whole lives though.

Summer, when it’s more calm, will be fun. I don’t go out in 2-4 foot waves in such a small boat. It’s not very relaxing.

:D

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Reef monkey »

T.Q. wrote:
Reef monkey wrote:

Thanks Reef Monkey.

Got the jackets. Got hand helds. Take my cell phone. Fire extinguisher on board.

I like the idea of backup motor but the boat is so small it’s already kinda tight.

There is a local course I can take. I’ve been learning from my Bahamian friends who have been around the water their whole lives though.

Summer, when it’s more calm, will be fun. I don’t go out in 2-4 foot waves in such a small boat. It’s not very relaxing.

You're probably fine with everything you've got so far, everything else would just be for increased comfort factor. I've taken our 19 foot boat 20-25 miles offshore for years and only just got a PLB about 4-5 years ago. As for the trolling motor, yeah, probably not necessary, but you'd be surprised about the size, they're commonly mounted on even smaller boats than yours. Fishermen use them for moving slowly and quietly where the outboard would scare the fish and/or in flats that are too shallow for the outboard.

I hear you about the waves, in our 19 we have to pick our days for going offshore, usually late summer when the winds really die down to nothing and the Gulf is like a mill pond. Otherwise you just feel beat up at the end of the day. You learn not to sit down, and keep your knees bent like springs to absorb the bumps.

Do you do any fishing?

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by T.Q. »

Reef monkey wrote:
T.Q. wrote:
Reef monkey wrote:

Thanks Reef Monkey.

You're probably fine with everything you've got so far, everything else would just be for increased comfort factor. I've taken our 19 foot boat 20-25 miles offshore for years and only just got a PLB about 4-5 years ago. As for the trolling motor, yeah, probably not necessary, but you'd be surprised about the size, they're commonly mounted on even smaller boats than yours. Fishermen use them for moving slowly and quietly where the outboard would scare the fish and/or in flats that are too shallow for the outboard.

I hear you about the waves, in our 19 we have to pick our days for going offshore, usually late summer when the winds really die down to nothing and the Gulf is like a mill pond. Otherwise you just feel beat up at the end of the day. You learn not to sit down, and keep your knees bent like springs to absorb the bumps.

Do you do any fishing?
But of course. :)

Ono (Wahoo):

Reef:

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I'd be worried about all the big fish down there.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by T.Q. »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:I'd be worried about all the big fish down there.
Used to have Jetskis and my wife stopped briefly and a shark that was longer than the jet ski was underneath her.

She wasn’t pleased. :lol:

You can always stay on the shore to fish.

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Reef monkey »

Nice wahoo, TQ!

Speaking of big fish and small boats, I take my 9' kayak off the beach out beyond the breakers from time to time to fish. I catch big bull redfish and black drum, king and spanish mackerel, jacks, red snapper around the close in production rigs, and my fair share of sharks. I use wire leaders because the mackerels' teeth will cut right through mono or braided. On one exceptionally clear (water wise) summer day a couple years ago I hooked a spanish mackerel, and had gotten it about 10 feet from the kayak when a big bull shark, must have been about 12 feet, swallowed the thing whole and started running, pulling me and my kayak with it. I ended up cutting myself in my haste to grab my PFD knife and cut the line at the reel. I paddled back to the beach and was done offshore kayak fishing for the rest of the summer. It's a good thing sit on top kayaks have self-draining scupper holes in the seat. :lol: