The Now Playing Thread!

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Now Playing Thread!

#136 Post by Little Garwood »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:08 pm I guess it has to do with who we hang around with. One of my best friends in elementary and middle school was black and I remember being at his house his father watching some of them at the time. So I was aware of them in the 70’s and early 80’s. I kind of forgot about them in high school but in college, a different friend and I started to talk about them randomly one time and he was surprised I knew of many. I’ve probably seen at least 30 films of the genre and have a couple in my DVR right now.

A more recent film I would highly recommend is called Baadasssss! and it stars Mario Van Peebles playing his father Melvin. It’s about his making of Sweet Sweetback’s Baadasssss Song, which started the genre.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baadasssss!

I also recommend Across 110th Street, which almost no one seems to remembers.
Those films may have aired on local TV stations, and I recall specific scenes from those films, but for the most part the cultural landscape I inhabited didn't often include Blaxploitation films.

I was bused (bussed?) to a predominantly Black middle school, and even those kids had no clue as to Blaxploitation's existence. In fact, if something didn't happen within a week's time, they didn't want to know about it! I still wince (and then chuckle) at how some Black kids had zero interest in old music or movies and only cared about the very latest anything. It was a bizarre phenomenon that later gave way to the now oft-used term "old school whatever (fill in the blank)."

To give you an idea of how ancient the early '70s felt to a kid like me growing up in Jimmy Carter's "Malaise" era, an episode of The Brady Bunch seemed just as "long ago and far away" as an episode of Leave it to Beaver. The early '70s were such a crazy, trasitional period that vanished around 1975. Everything that came after it was like a totally different world. However, those shows and films aired all the time on TV, so I was just as familiar with those as I was with anything contemporary.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#137 Post by Pahonu »

Little Garwood wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:24 pm
Pahonu wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:08 pm I guess it has to do with who we hang around with. One of my best friends in elementary and middle school was black and I remember being at his house his father watching some of them at the time. So I was aware of them in the 70’s and early 80’s. I kind of forgot about them in high school but in college, a different friend and I started to talk about them randomly one time and he was surprised I knew of many. I’ve probably seen at least 30 films of the genre and have a couple in my DVR right now.

A more recent film I would highly recommend is called Baadasssss! and it stars Mario Van Peebles playing his father Melvin. It’s about his making of Sweet Sweetback’s Baadasssss Song, which started the genre.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baadasssss!

I also recommend Across 110th Street, which almost no one seems to remembers.
Those films may have aired on local TV stations, and I recall specific scenes from those films, but for the most part the cultural landscape I inhabited didn't often include Blaxploitation films.

I was bused (bussed?) to a predominantly Black middle school, and even those kids had no clue as to Blaxploitation's existence. In fact, if something didn't happen within a week's time, they didn't want to know about it! I still wince (and then chuckle) at how some Black kids had zero interest in old music or movies and only cared about the very latest anything. It was a bizarre phenomenon that later gave way to the now oft-used term "old school whatever (fill in the blank)."

To give you an idea of how ancient the early '70s felt to a kid like me growing up in Jimmy Carter's "Malaise" era, an episode of The Brady Bunch seemed just as "long ago and far away" as an episode of Leave it to Beaver. The early '70s were such a crazy, trasitional period that vanished around 1975. Everything that came after it was like a totally different world. However, those shows and films aired all the time on TV, so I was just as familiar with those as I was with anything contemporary.
True, it was my friend’s father watching the films, not him, but somehow I took notice. I’ve always liked older things. My sailboat is from 1968, my camper van from 1988. I love older architecture and obviously TV and film.

As a high school teacher, I would say most kids are very into what’s new and current as you explained. There are some though, and they are often really neat kids, who are into older things. It’s fun to talk with them. I’m realizing maybe I was one of those kids… and perhaps you too? I’m also thinking that there are more of those kinds of kids today, than when I started teaching of 25 years ago, perhaps because of access to so much online. That’s a positive I would say.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#138 Post by Little Garwood »

Pahonu wrote:As a high school teacher, I would say most kids are very into what’s new and current as you explained. There are some though, and they are often really neat kids, who are into older things. It’s fun to talk with them. I’m realizing maybe I was one of those kids… and perhaps you too? I’m also thinking that there are more of those kinds of kids today, than when I started teaching of 25 years ago, perhaps because of access to so much online. That’s a positive I would say.
I'm not the one to ask about whether I'm "interesting" or not. Here at Magnum-Mania, I think I probably bore everyone; they'll just have to deal with it. :D I'm interested in whatever it is I obsess over at any given time. I've seen the lights go out in the eyes of people to whom I've spoken over they years because they didn't share my "boring" interests.

~Tom Selleck

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#139 Post by Sam »

Just a guess but uncharted territory for most..
Two songs...

https://youtu.be/5WUeOEkl270

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#140 Post by Sam »

Nice rendition of a 1937 Robert Johnson song..

https://youtu.be/_oL_pCjPgUg

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#141 Post by Chris109 »

Even tho I wasn't around, I just think of my parents listening to things like this. Occasionally, I'll keep it on for background noise. Seemed like simpler times, although it really wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvfkTnbRWqo

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#142 Post by Little Garwood »

It's best to post the artist and song, just in case the link becomes no longer valid.

As for those "simpler times", it's been my experience that those times are "simpler" only because those who experienced them got through them. After that, one can pick and choose what constituted the "good old days."

~Tom Selleck

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#143 Post by Chris109 »

Little Garwood wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:47 pm It's best to post the artist and song, just in case the link becomes no longer valid.

As for those "simpler times", it's been my experience that those times are "simpler" only because those who experienced them got through them. After that, one can pick and choose what constituted the "good old days."
It's hard to post artist and song when it is non stop 40's music. It's Nemo's Dreamscapes.

𝑶𝒍𝒅 𝒅𝒂𝒚𝒔
𝑮𝒐𝒐𝒅 𝒕𝒊𝒎𝒆𝒔 𝑰 𝒓𝒆𝒎𝒆𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓
𝑭𝒖𝒏 𝒅𝒂𝒚𝒔
𝑭𝒊𝒍𝒍𝒆𝒅 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒔𝒉𝒊𝒑 𝒐𝒇 𝒑𝒍𝒆𝒂𝒔𝒖𝒓𝒆

𝑫𝒓𝒊𝒗𝒆-𝒊𝒏 𝒎𝒐𝒗𝒊𝒆𝒔
𝑪𝒐𝒎𝒊𝒄 𝒃𝒐𝒐𝒌𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒃𝒍𝒖𝒆 𝒋𝒆𝒂𝒏𝒔
𝑯𝒐𝒘𝒅𝒚 𝑫𝒐𝒐𝒅𝒚
𝑩𝒂𝒔𝒆𝒃𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒄𝒂𝒓𝒅𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒃𝒊𝒓𝒕𝒉𝒅𝒂𝒚𝒔

𝑻𝒂𝒌𝒆 𝒎𝒆 𝒃𝒂𝒄𝒌
𝑻𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒍𝒅 𝒈𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒂𝒘𝒂𝒚
𝑴𝒆𝒎𝒐𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒔
𝑺𝒆𝒆𝒎 𝒍𝒊𝒌𝒆 𝒚𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒅𝒂𝒚

𝑶𝒉, 𝒐𝒍𝒅 𝒅𝒂𝒚𝒔
𝑮𝒐𝒐𝒅 𝒕𝒊𝒎𝒆𝒔 𝑰 𝒓𝒆𝒎𝒆𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓
𝑮𝒐𝒍𝒅 𝒅𝒂𝒚𝒔
𝑫𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝑰'𝒍𝒍 𝒂𝒍𝒘𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒕𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒔𝒖𝒓𝒆

𝑭𝒖𝒏𝒏𝒚 𝒇𝒂𝒄𝒆𝒔
𝑭𝒖𝒍𝒍 𝒐𝒇 𝒍𝒐𝒗𝒆 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒍𝒂𝒖𝒈𝒉𝒕𝒆𝒓
𝑭𝒖𝒏𝒏𝒚 𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒄𝒆𝒔
𝑺𝒖𝒎𝒎𝒆𝒓 𝒏𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒔𝒕𝒓𝒆𝒆𝒕𝒄𝒂𝒓𝒔

𝑻𝒂𝒌𝒆 𝒎𝒆 𝒃𝒂𝒄𝒌
𝑻𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒍𝒅 𝒈𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒂𝒘𝒂𝒚
𝑶𝒖𝒓 𝒈𝒐𝒐𝒅 𝒎𝒆𝒎𝒐𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒔
𝑺𝒆𝒆𝒎 𝒍𝒊𝒌𝒆 𝒚𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒅𝒂𝒚

𝑶𝒍𝒅 𝒅𝒂𝒚𝒔
𝑨𝒉, 𝒂𝒉, 𝒂𝒉
𝑶𝒍𝒅 𝒅𝒂𝒚𝒔

Chicago-1975

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#144 Post by Little Garwood »

Nemo's Dreamscapes has some good stuff. I especially like the ones with the Edward Hopper paintings, complete with occasional passing car.

1975 was a pretty bleak year, but oh-so fascinating. Chicago (the band) before 1977 was great. Terry Kath, baby!

~Tom Selleck

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#145 Post by Chris109 »

Little Garwood wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:28 pm Nemo's Dreamscapes has some good stuff. I especially like the ones with the Edward Hopper paintings, complete with occasional passing car.

1975 was a pretty bleak year, but oh-so fascinating. Chicago (the band) before 1977 was great. Terry Kath, baby!

Another leaving too soon. Good vid of him and Chicago at Tanglewood. My thumb would have been cramping after about 1 minute playing like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lba2g_u1Ckg

I was gonna use the IT Crowd Matt Berry gun scene with regards to Terry Kath and supposedly (originally) cleaning his own weapon, but I thought that would be improper. So I'll just use another scene.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#146 Post by Little Garwood »

I always had a fondness for the band America's music. Their songs were played frequently on the radio throughout the '70s.

Ventura Highway

youtu.be/tnV7dTXlXxs

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#147 Post by Little Garwood »

Dave Grusin- The Friends of Eddie Coyle soundtrack.

youtu.be/-U5eCVh6Je0

I love the movie, and I love the score.

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#148 Post by Little Garwood »

Molchat Doma- Sudno (Live)

youtu.be/mqlqzkLflro

I'm most likely one of the few fiftysomething-year-old Americans who absolutely love this band's music. They channel the great New Wave music I loved as a teen but have a sound that is uniquely their own.

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#149 Post by Little Garwood »

I've been in a huge British mood recently, and along with my obsessive Britcom viewing, there's also been my trip back to some music I haven't heard in years.

"Substitute"- The Who

youtu.be/36IaekZtKsI

Only Mick Jones of The Clash came close to replicating that "wounded" feeling often found in Pete Townsend's lyrics...

"A Well Respected Man"- The Kinks

youtu.be/vfhJGNnCRYU

Morrissey of The Smiths (and subsequent solo fame) comes close to the cutting-edge cynicism of Ray Davies...

~Tom Selleck

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#150 Post by Sam »

I'm guessing this is a turd in the punch bowl but give it a listen...cool beans.

https://youtu.be/ZhRWcUUbXRo