The Now Playing Thread!

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Now Playing Thread!

#91 Post by Little Garwood »

Okay so it's almost a year later and once again I am binging on '70s Soul/R&B. I found a good VH-1 documentary from 1996 called Right On which covers the decade's Soul/R&B/Funk music in about 45 minutes. It's a nice crash course for those wanting to explore this great music. Thankfully, they stop just as Hip Hop takes hold though it always gets a positive appraisal unlike the Disco stuff they grudgingly ever-so briefly cover--imo both genres ruined R&B (for me).
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#92 Post by Chris109 »

Little Garwood wrote:Okay so it's almost a year later and once again I am binging on '70s Soul/R&B. I found a good VH-1 documentary from 1996 called Right On which covers the decade's Soul/R&B/Funk music in about 45 minutes. It's a nice crash course for those wanting to explore this great music. Thankfully, they stop just as Hip Hop takes hold though it always gets a positive appraisal unlike the Disco stuff they grudgingly ever-so briefly cover--imo both genres ruined R&B (for me).
Was never into that music. However, if one of those songs came on the radio, I would not turn it off.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#93 Post by Steve »

Little Garwood wrote:Okay so it's almost a year later and once again I am binging on '70s Soul/R&B. I found a good VH-1 documentary from 1996 called Right On which covers the decade's Soul/R&B/Funk music in about 45 minutes. It's a nice crash course for those wanting to explore this great music. Thankfully, they stop just as Hip Hop takes hold though it always gets a positive appraisal unlike the Disco stuff they grudgingly ever-so briefly cover--imo both genres ruined R&B (for me).

Thanks for posting this Little G, I will be looking for the documentary this weekend. Do you know if it is on YouTube or on-demand....

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#94 Post by Little Garwood »

Steve wrote:
Thanks for posting this Little G, I will be looking for the documentary this weekend. Do you know if it is on YouTube or on-demand....
Look no more: Right On.

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#95 Post by Little Garwood »

Been on a Frankie Laine Western themes kick, as I am seemingly every summer.

If you were a Westerns filmmaker in the 1950s, Frankie Laine was your man to sing the film’s theme song!

3:10 to Yuma

youtu.be/nkXDLNRVMxY

The “ethereal chorus” heard on many a 1950s pop song probably isn’t up to today’s “sophisticated” tastes, but being a man out of time, I love this stuff.

Laine even made below-average stuff like his theme song for the short-lived Western tv series, Gunslinger (with its imo poor visual intro) sound pretty damned great.

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#96 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I'm listening to a bunch of old swing from Woody Allen movies. Great stuff for working.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#97 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Little Garwood wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:25 pm Been on a Frankie Laine Western themes kick, as I am seemingly every summer.

If you were a Westerns filmmaker in the 1950s, Frankie Laine was your man to sing the film’s theme song!

3:10 to Yuma

youtu.be/nkXDLNRVMxY

The “ethereal chorus” heard on many a 1950s pop song probably isn’t up to today’s “sophisticated” tastes, but being a man out of time, I love this stuff.

Laine even made below-average stuff like his theme song for the short-lived Western tv series, Gunslinger (with its imo poor visual intro) sound pretty damned great.
I love this old western stuff. I go through phases of throwing on the soundtracks from the Sergio Leone movies.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#98 Post by Little Garwood »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:47 pm I'm listening to a bunch of old swing from Woody Allen movies. Great stuff for working.
I have a ton of 1920s-‘40s jazz and swing on hand for when I’m driving. Bix Beiderbecke practically rides shotgun!

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley

#99 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Little Garwood wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:55 pm
Styles Bitchley wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:47 pm I'm listening to a bunch of old swing from Woody Allen movies. Great stuff for working.
I have a ton of 1920s-‘40s jazz and swing on hand for when I’m driving. Bix Beiderbecke practically rides shotgun!
Love it!

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#100 Post by Pahonu »

Little Garwood wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:55 pm
I watched Ken Burns’ documentary series Jazz during the pandemic and Bix Beiderbecke features prominently in an early episode. I highly recommend it if you haven’t already seen it.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#101 Post by Little Garwood »

I saw it when it originally aired, what, 20 years ago? It covered certain eras better than others and I felt it relied too much on the Wynton Marsalis and Stanley Crouch view of jazz.

I still have Burns’ Hemingway documentary to watch.

~Tom Selleck

Pahonu

#102 Post by Pahonu »

Little Garwood wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:06 pm I saw it when it originally aired, what, 20 years ago? It covered certain eras better than others and I felt it relied too much on the Wynton Marsalis and Stanley Crouch view of jazz.

I still have Burns’ Hemingway documentary to watch.
I enjoyed the first few episodes the most, about the development and early years of jazz.

I saw the Hemingway three-parter about a month or so ago. It’s well done.

Have you ever heard of the Bad Hemingway Contest that used to be held in the late 70’s and 80’s by Harry’s Bar and American Grill in LA? Here’s one winner that an English professor I had introduced me to:

It was morning and he was in the bathroom shaving, shaving for the first time that day but not the last, no, never the last; the hairs kept coming, tiny hairs and black and there was nothing for it, nothing for it at all but shaving, razor bright-edged clean on skin and cutting through the hairs and the soap and the dead dried cells of epidermis in that clean, well-lighted place. There were the hairs and he was shaving because a man shaves. Main thing a man did. Made him into a man. No bloody hairs.

She came in then, rich and tall and American in that way they have, her face a picture of a face, an American face, and she leaned into Gibbs Adams in that way she had of leaning, and he looked away from her American face in the mirror and down at the sink where she had just dropped the matchbook, a matchbook from Harry’s Bar & American Grill.

“There wasn’t going to be any of that,” he said. “You promised there wouldn’t be.”

“Well, there is now,” she said.

It’s too damned awful, he thought, but there was nothing for it, nothing at all but to shave and to take this woman with her American face to Harry’s. And eat. They had eaten before. And the wine. Now, the wine. Well, the wine. Yes, the wine. Hm, the wine.
He looked at her bored American face in the mirror and knew they would eat, and there would be the wine, but there would never be the time in Venice, no, not that time again and no other. It was too late for that.

“What time is it?”

“5:05, Gibbs,” she said, a good time, a big time, and he turned again to the mirror, to his American face in the mirror, his strong thin American face in the mirror with soap now drying on his skin, and the razor moving, scraping; and he could feel his hairiness now, his follicles open, ready, and he knew she knew them too, knew his hairiness and his thin American shame; and he saw his hand trembling in the glass and he felt the white-hot, blinding flash of metal, and that was all he ever felt.

He had cut himself about two inches up and a little to one side of the base of his chin.

He was bleeding now, the good, rich thin American blood red on his chin, on the razor, cold, gleaming, dripping on the matchbook, the Harry’s Bar & American Grill matchbook, and he was afraid.

She turned, lifting her thin American lip over those thin white perfect American teeth in that thin American sneer. “It’s only a nick, Adams,” she said.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#103 Post by Little Garwood »

:lol:

Yes. I have both volumes of the The Best of Bad Hemingway.

~Tom Selleck

Pahonu

#104 Post by Pahonu »

Little Garwood wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:15 am :lol:

Nice! I have one too, I believe the first. :D

Styles Bitchley

#105 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Little Garwood wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:15 am :lol:

This is the first I've heard of this. I'm a big Hemingway fan too. Very much liked the Burns doc. As a result, I've been reading several of his short stories this summer. It's been pretty enjoyable.

- J.Q.H.