For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: The Now Playing Thread!

#106 Post by ConchRepublican »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:35 pm
Little Garwood wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:15 am :lol:

Yes. I have both volumes of the The Best of Bad Hemingway.
This is the first I've heard of this. I'm a big Hemingway fan too. Very much liked the Burns doc. As a result, I've been reading several of his short stories this summer. It's been pretty enjoyable.
Funny this pops up, just last week we took our godkids on a tour of Hemingway's house in Key West.

I will admit that while I greatly appreciate the man, I'm not loving his novels, a bit too dry for my taste. His short stories however I think are where he does his best work. The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber is a classic.

For those interested in Hemingway, Dan Simmons wrote a novel about Papa's time in Cuba during WW II called Crook Factory which is a very good read.

https://www.amazon.com/Crook-Factory-Da ... 0380789175
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#107 Post by Little Garwood »

Conch, you must have roasted visiting Key West in July! I was there this past May and also last October. I can never get enough of the Hemingway House.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#108 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I actually visited his home outside Havana a few years back. It's magical. They've really preserved it.

Unlike Conch, I'm a big fan of his novels. Especially The Sun Also Rises and A Farewell to Arms. A few of my absolute favourite books.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ConchRepublican

#109 Post by ConchRepublican »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:12 pm I actually visited his home outside Havana a few years back. It's magical. They've really preserved it.

Unlike Conch, I'm a big fan of his novels. Especially The Sun Also Rises and A Farewell to Arms. A few of my absolute favourite books.
I need to give them a shot , which do you recommend over the other? Being a Florida Keys fan I tried To Have and Have Not but couldn't connect with it.

The Finca Vigia must have been a great place to tour!
CoziTV Superfan spot

ConchRepublican

#110 Post by ConchRepublican »

Little Garwood wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:56 pm Conch, you must have roasted visiting Key West in July! I was there this past May and also last October. I can never get enough of the Hemingway House.
I was pretty darn hot . . . but we walked everywhere, over 10k steps a day and did pretty OK. It caught up to us mostly the last day. Average temp was low 90s with real feels around 100. But better than slogging through snow and slipping on ice!
CoziTV Superfan spot

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#111 Post by Pahonu »

No love for the polydactyl Hemingway cats here? :lol: My wife’s grandmother had a white one.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#112 Post by Little Garwood »

Currently “groovin’” to heavily-reverbed, slowed-down versions of classic songs. Some tunes are only slightly slowed down, other times they are severely slowed down. I like both approaches. There is also added crackle, as if the “doomerized” song was a scratchy old LP. Anyway, these songs get some “breathing room” by virtue of their being slowed down.

Here’s California’ Dreamin’ by The Mamas and the Papas:

youtu.be/l9UQiwGCkCg

…and The End of the World by Skeeter Davis:

youtu.be/IYABTlc1Uf8

~Tom Selleck

Pahonu

#113 Post by Pahonu »

Little Garwood wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:04 pm Currently “groovin’” to heavily-reverbed, slowed-down versions of classic songs. Some tunes are only slightly slowed down, other times they are severely slowed down. I like both approaches. There is also added crackle, as if the “doomerized” song was a scratchy old LP. Anyway, these songs get some “breathing room” by virtue of their being slowed down.

Here’s California’ Dreamin’ by The Mamas and the Papas:

youtu.be/l9UQiwGCkCg

…and The End of the World by Skeeter Davis:

youtu.be/IYABTlc1Uf8
How did you happen upon these?

California Dreamin’ sounds like it’s being sung by a choir not just the four of them in harmony. I think I prefer the original, or even some of the live versions from TV performances.

The End of the World version reminds me of the Herman’s Hermits cover more than anything, which I like.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#114 Post by Little Garwood »

Good points, Pahonu. In fact, “California Dreamin” as it sounds here could very well have been done in a similar fashion by the Henry Mancini Chorus or the Anita Kerr Singers.

Have to disagree re: Hermit’s Hermits. The backing on the HH is jaunty by comparison. I’ll have to see if anyone “doomerized” “No Milk Today.”

How did I find these songs? Boring story (boring is what I do best), but there are some songs I rarely gave an ear to that have imo been improved with this treatment.

Fields of Gold by Sting:

youtu.be/3qcQCuvjvtQ

~Tom Selleck

Pahonu

#115 Post by Pahonu »

Little Garwood wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:52 pm Good points, Pahonu. In fact, “California Dreamin” as it sounds here could very well have been done in a similar fashion by the Henry Mancini Chorus or the Anita Kerr Singers.

Have to disagree re: Hermit’s Hermits. The backing on the HH is jaunty by comparison. I’ll have to see if anyone “doomerized” “No Milk Today.”

How did I find these songs? Boring story (boring is what I do best), but there are some songs I rarely gave an ear to that have imo been improved with this treatment.

Fields of Gold by Sting:

youtu.be/3qcQCuvjvtQ
Imagine a “doomerized” Henry IV by Herman’s Hermits! :shock: :shock: :shock:

The Sting track isn’t slowed down very much at all. My wife loves this song so I’ve heard it once or twice. :lol: It would be hard to tell it was slowed if not for the drop in pitch of his voice.

So I’m assuming if I use “doomerize” in a search, this is what results. Very interesting, I have to say.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#116 Post by Little Garwood »

"Doomerwave" is probably the most accurate term.

This may lead you to the numerous Russian and Eastern European post-punk and electronic bands out there today. "Molchat Doma" of Belarus is among the most popular of these groups.

I don't think many people of my age or nationality listens to that stuff, but I but I find much of it musically interesting, even if I don't understand a word of what they're saying.

~Tom Selleck

Pahonu

#117 Post by Pahonu »

Little Garwood wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:28 pm "Doomerwave" is probably the most accurate term.

This may lead you to the numerous Russian and Eastern European post-punk and electronic bands out there today. "Molchat Doma" of Belarus is among the most popular of these groups.

I don't think many people of my age or nationality listens to that stuff, but I but I find much of it musically interesting, even if I don't understand a word of what they're saying.
Even more interesting! I had no idea.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#118 Post by Little Garwood »

Gene Pitney, “The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.”

youtu.be/tWymh7NBy7k

Pitney, who co-wrote the #1 pop hit “He’s a Rebel”, has the dubious honor of having composed a song which kept a song he himself sang—“Only Love Can Break a Heart”—from reaching the #1 spot!

~Tom Selleck

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#119 Post by Sam »

Hey Pahonu...I know when you mentioned original California Dreaming you were talking about The Mamas & Papas.
I haven't seen it mentioned do you know that wasn't the original??
Barry McGuire recorded the original song with The Mamas & Papas as backup vocalist.
https://youtu.be/5W2se8MMqwo

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#120 Post by Sam »

Some back story...

https://youtu.be/ser5JCDgPKQ