The Now Playing Thread!

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Now Playing Thread!

#121 Post by Little Garwood »

The Grass Roots- “Let’s Live for Today” (Slowed and Reverbed)

youtu.be/4q-yZp-RVck

After listening to this version, the actual version by The Grass Roots sounds entirely too fast! Gotta let those lyrics breathe!

Same goes for “Bus Stop” by The Hollies:

youtu.be/yBl3pf0z8Y0
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#122 Post by ConchRepublican »

10/6 was the anniversary of Eddie Van Halen's passing and I went on a VH binge the whole day. I found this live version of a fave off OU812 and love how Eddie added that surf vibe that wasn't as clear on the recording.

youtu.be/sX-mBPmCKks

Their last record, a reunion with David Lee Roth has this tune that reaches out and smacks you like it's 1979.

youtu.be/e8y1prHEP7E

I could keep going, but I'll leave you with his son Wolfgang's tribute. If you haven't heard it, it's pretty touching.

youtu.be/HI3aPJkZmNU
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#123 Post by T.Q. »

Holy Mackerel.

It’s been a year? WOW.

Thanks for the vids. Always loved Van Halen. The Red Rocker and Diamond Dave but I’m a huge Sammy fan.

You heard this one from Wolfgang?

It rocks.

youtu.be/yMDoj8VVzh8

Forget how to embed. :wink:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#124 Post by ConchRepublican »

T.Q. wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:27 am Holy Mackerel.

It’s been a year? WOW.

Thanks for the vids. Always loved Van Halen. The Red Rocker and Diamond Dave but I’m a huge Sammy fan.

It rocks.

youtu.be/yMDoj8VVzh8

I agree, big fan of Sammy's solo stuff as well.

I have heard that one by Wolfie, it's a good one! I like his style, he's not "I'm gonna be my father" he's got his own vibe, a bit late 90s/early2k influenced . . .

(BTW - I embedded for you. :wink: )
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#125 Post by T.Q. »

ConchRepublican wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:19 pm
T.Q. wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:27 am Holy Mackerel.

It’s been a year? WOW.

It rocks.

youtu.be/yMDoj8VVzh8

I agree, big fan of Sammy's solo stuff as well.

I have heard that one by Wolfie, it's a good one! I like his style, he's not "I'm gonna be my father" he's got his own vibe, a bit late 90s/early2k influenced . . .

(BTW - I embedded for you. :wink: )
You Da Man.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#126 Post by Little Garwood »

I’ve been in a Psychedelic Soul mood:

The Temptations, “Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)”

youtu.be/1g3e3cgktZU

~Tom Selleck

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#127 Post by Gorilla Mask »

https://youtu.be/5OSMqSPmfVA

Top Gun Opening Theme - Harold Faltermeyer

It always gives me chills... :D I might trade the 308 GTS for an F-14, but where the hell do you park it? :lol:
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#128 Post by Sam »

Original song from the Beatles 1968 White Album...While my guitar gently weeps a George Harrison song.
Covered in a concert to George with the 2 remaining Beatles and George's son Dhani..Eric Clapton recreates his Weeping Guitar that he played on the original recording..

https://youtu.be/CrTMc2i6Lzc

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#129 Post by Little Garwood »

The Black Caesar soundtrack has been my drivetime companion to work (and the neighborhood where I work looks like something out of the film).

It’s a high quality, thematically varied album with some bonafide Godfather of Soul classics: Down and Out in New York City; co-composed by Barry De Vorzon of Simon & Simon theme fame; The Boss, and this funky little number, Make it Good to Yourself:

youtu.be/y8VnXzkCqK0

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#130 Post by Little Garwood »

Lately I’ve been obsessing over the Art Tatum-Ben Webster recordings, which are to me the “sound” of Autumn. I can offer no valid explanation as to why I’ve been listening to these recordings at this time of year, except to say this is truly magnificent music.

“All the Things You Are”

youtu.be/Tjt5S0GuRew

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#131 Post by Little Garwood »

Miles Davis and his "Second Great Quintet" have four albums I listen to frequently.

Here's "Agitation" from the 1965 album E.S.P.. I realize no one here listens to jazz, but I've been doing so for 30 years (not continuously, though at times it's felt like it):

youtu.be/ywAMUxfe4jk

~Tom Selleck

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#132 Post by Pahonu »

Little Garwood wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:18 pm The Black Caesar soundtrack has been my drivetime companion to work (and the neighborhood where I work looks like something out of the film).

It’s a high quality, thematically varied album with some bonafide Godfather of Soul classics: Down and Out in New York City; co-composed by Barry De Vorzon of Simon & Simon theme fame; The Boss, and this funky little number, Make it Good to Yourself:

youtu.be/y8VnXzkCqK0
Black Caesar is just a great gangster film straight up, not just from the blaxploitation genre, including the score. Sadly, most people have even heard of it. Fred Williamson is very good, and I still keep an eye out for his work. My favorite of his is probably Black Eye, where he’s a detective. It has a bit of a neo-noir quality to it also.

Pahonu

#133 Post by Pahonu »

Little Garwood wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:33 pm Miles Davis and his "Second Great Quintet" have four albums I listen to frequently.

Here's "Agitation" from the 1965 album E.S.P.. I realize no one here listens to jazz, but I've been doing so for 30 years (not continuously, though at times it's felt like it):

youtu.be/ywAMUxfe4jk
I’m not a huge jazz fan, but for some reason when I have to sand and revarnish the teak on my boat or some other project aboard, I put on the local AM jazz station. It’s called KJAZZ and it’s been broadcasting for decades from Long Beach State. I’ve sure learned some interesting things over the years, but I’m no expert at all. You can stream it if you are so inclined and it has a cool archive of old shows with some great interviews.

https://www.kkjz.org/mobile/programming ... dPrograms/

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#134 Post by Little Garwood »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:16 pmBlack Caesar is just a great gangster film straight up, not just from the blaxploitation genre, including the score. Sadly, most people have even heard of it. Fred Williamson is very good, and I still keep an eye out for his work. My favorite of his is probably Black Eye, where he’s a detective. It has a bit of a neo-noir quality to it also.
I wonder if most so-called Blaxploitation films have gone forgotten. They were definitely unknown among most of my friends, who could remember nothing before, say, the Bicentennial, and we had a fervent interest in other 1960s and early '70s film icons (McQueen, Coburn, Bronson, Marvin et al.)

I don't think I could recall many of these films outside of Shaft and maybe Super Fly. However, I could have sworn I remember Black Belt Jones and Three the Hard Way, as the memory of certain scenes came roaring back to me after I watched them recently.

Whatever the case, I've definitely rectified my previous ignorance of Blaxploitation over the past few decades. They'll never be considered great films, but they sure are entertaining (and fascinating, from a pop cultural point of view).

~Tom Selleck

Pahonu

#135 Post by Pahonu »

Little Garwood wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:35 pm
Pahonu wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:16 pmBlack Caesar is just a great gangster film straight up, not just from the blaxploitation genre, including the score. Sadly, most people have even heard of it. Fred Williamson is very good, and I still keep an eye out for his work. My favorite of his is probably Black Eye, where he’s a detective. It has a bit of a neo-noir quality to it also.
I wonder if most so-called Blaxploitation films have gone forgotten. They were definitely unknown among most of my friends, who could remember nothing before, say, the Bicentennial, and we had a fervent interest in other 1960s and early '70s film icons (McQueen, Coburn, Bronson, Marvin et al.)

I don't think I could recall many of these films outside of Shaft and maybe Super Fly. However, I could have sworn I remember Black Belt Jones and Three the Hard Way, as the memory of certain scenes came roaring back to me after I watched them recently.

Whatever the case, I've definitely rectified my previous ignorance of Blaxploitation over the past few decades. They'll never be considered great films, but they sure are entertaining (and fascinating, from a pop cultural point of view).
I guess it has to do with who we hang around with. One of my best friends in elementary and middle school was black and I remember being at his house his father watching some of them at the time. So I was aware of them in the 70’s and early 80’s. I kind of forgot about them in high school but in college, a different friend and I started to talk about them randomly one time and he was surprised I knew of many. I’ve probably seen at least 30 films of the genre and have a couple in my DVR right now.

A more recent film I would highly recommend is called Baadasssss! and it stars Mario Van Peebles playing his father Melvin. It’s about his making of Sweet Sweetback’s Baadasssss Song, which started the genre.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baadasssss!

I also recommend Across 110th Street, which almost no one seems to remembers.