The Live Music Tread!

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Steve
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Live Music Tread!

#121 Post by Steve »

J.J. Walters wrote:The cast of characters that come and go in that clip is something else! A perfect time capsule for the early 80's. I love how Muddy says to the Stones, "Get yourself a drink there... Take your time, don't rush it." LOL! And then Keith is seen swigging a bottle with two babes by his side! :) Kind of odd that it took Mick a while to go on stage. Muddy was calling him out, but it took a few bars for him to finally go up. Love how Keith and Ron both walked on the table (cig in mouth) to get on stage! :)
You have stated everything I love about watching that, other than Mick's hilarious arm scratching, foot work and just overall movements to the music. You can truly tell he feels the music inside of him, especially when they are around one of the artists they all idolized.....Oh, and how about the harmonica player with all the harps strapped to him as if he is going into a good ol' down home blues war.....

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#122 Post by Sam »

Steve wrote:
Sam wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:Good to feel the love for The Stones! Sam, you saw them four times, and in '64! I'm so jealous! ;)

I saw them twice, back-to-back at RFK Stadium in D.C. during the Steel Wheels Tour in '89. I had shitty seats, but it was a GREAT show! :)

Here are the dates for their upcoming tour. Being a Premier League soccer fan, I think it's so cool they are playing at Old Trafford!

May 17 - Croke Park, Dublin, Ireland
May 22 - London Stadium, U.K.
Jun 05 - Old Trafford, Manchester, U.K.
Jun 09 - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh, U.K.
Jun 15 - Principality Stadium, Cardiff, U.K.
Jun 19 - Twickenham Stadium, U.K.
Jun 22 - Olympiastadion, Berlin, Germany
Jun 26 - Orange Velodrome, Marseille, France
Jun 30 - Mercedes-Benz Arena, Stuttgart, Germany
Jul 04 - Letnany Airport, Prague, Czech Republic
Jul 08 - PGE Narodowy Stadium, Warsaw, Poland

Here is one of my favorite Stones clips. 1981 during their Tattoo You Tour. They just showed up at a Muddy Waters show in Chicago at the Checkerboard Lounge. They sat down at a table in front of the stage (bodyguards in tow), watched the show for a while, then came on stage (in epic fashion) at played with him! Muddy was one of their idols! So cool! :)

youtu.be/z3Or7huOK7o
I think I posted that clip or I was going to post it... the 64 concert maybe doesn't really count.. I saw them for two songs and then we left.. they played at a place called Big Reggies Danceland in Excelsior Minnesota. It was across the street from an amusement park.. Excelsior amusement park on Lake Minnetonka old amusement park built in 1930.. the concert didn't go over that well.. let me find you a link... my family moved to Minnesota 1961 and we lived on Lake Minnetonka forJune and July that year... there was a drug store in town called bacon drug that's the first place I ever had a Cherry Coke... fast forward three years later when the Stones played Excelsior story has it Jimmy Hutmaker met Mick at the bacon drug store...... and the lyrics from You Can't Always Get What You Want came from that drug store that day..

Here's the story if you're interested.

http://www.swnewsmedia.com/lakeshore_we ... 9965d.html
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Hutmaker
YES! I love that clip as well, saw it when PBS ran it as a pledge drive a couple of years ago. The Stones were notorious for going into local lounges after their Stadium Shows to wind down but somehow the word would get out and there would be lines around the block at local spots...The Checkerboard Lounge is long gone, torn down and just an empty lot, all that history gone. Sam, my family moved to Minnesota in 1964 and I remember Excelsior Amusement Park well and Axel's Fun House named after one of our beloved local children's show characters in Minnesota; Axel's Treehouse.
(I don't recall but did The Stones ever do one of their pop-ins at The Cabooze or First Avenue?)
Hi Steve.
I wasn't all that happy moving from California to Minnesota but the two months living on the lake in Excelsior and the amusement park..helped..
I don't ever recall the Stones playing any late night gigs in Minneapolis or St. Paul.. but a research shows they were at the Cabooze in 1978 but didn't play.
I knew the checkerboard was torn down years ago but I didn't know the new location closed.

https://blog.thecurrent.org/2014/07/cab ... -of-shows/

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#123 Post by J.J. Walters »

Sam wrote:I think I posted that clip or I was going to post it... the 64 concert maybe doesn't really count.. I saw them for two songs and then we left.. they played at a place called Big Reggies Danceland in Excelsior Minnesota. It was across the street from an amusement park.. Excelsior amusement park on Lake Minnetonka old amusement park built in 1930.. the concert didn't go over that well.. let me find you a link... my family moved to Minnesota 1961 and we lived on Lake Minnetonka forJune and July that year... there was a drug store in town called bacon drug that's the first place I ever had a Cherry Coke... fast forward three years later when the Stones played Excelsior story has it Jimmy Hutmaker met Mick at the bacon drug store...... and the lyrics from You Can't Always Get What You Want came from that drug store that day..

Here's the story if you're interested.

http://www.swnewsmedia.com/lakeshore_we ... 9965d.html
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Hutmaker
Very interesting story, Sam! Bacon Drug. That sounds like my kind of place! :)
Steve wrote:You have stated everything I love about watching that, other than Mick's hilarious arm scratching, foot work and just overall movements to the music. You can truly tell he feels the music inside of him, especially when they are around one of the artists they all idolized.....Oh, and how about the harmonica player with all the harps strapped to him as if he is going into a good ol' down home blues war.....
Indeed! Mick is so unique! Nobody has the "Moves Like Jagger". :) And yeah, love the harp guy! A "Harpslinger"! :) John Popper used to come out on stage with a similar get up.

Here's another great clip from the same show, just after "Baby Please Don't Go". Muddy's 1955 classic "Mannish Boy"! Buddy Guy jumps onstage later in the song. I'll admit that I didn't know that the Checkerboard Lounge was Buddy Guy's place! Steve, did you ever make it to the Checkerboard in your younger days?

Checkerboard Lounge kind of reminds of Blues Alley in Georgetown (DC).

youtu.be/32YQYJuxyn0
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#124 Post by Steve »

I was transferred to Chicago from Minneapolis in the fall of 1983 and one of the reason I was thrilled was to go to the many blues clubs I would hear and read about. Sam mentioned The Cabooze Bar on the fringes of the West Bank of the University of Minneapolis campus. Muddy, Buddy, Lonnie Brooks, James Cotton, Willie Dixon, Koko Taylor (serenaded me one night there) and well, I could go on and on all played there. The Cabooze was, and I suspect still is, an interesting place. A mix of College Students, Bikers, low lifes, ne'er-do-wells and music aficionados all having fun.
Anyway, I did make it to The Checker Board only once, it was pretty run down which added to the charm of it. I could never get any of my friends or string of girlfriends back in the eighties to venture away from the security of the yuppie northside blues clubs so I would explore the "Joynts" on the south and west side by myself and it as wonderful! I could write a book on the great blues I have seen from many of the greats I have seen and even more so, the local neighborhood blues artists that grinded away every weekend......Viva the Blues, Viva The Stones and the other British Invasion Bands that would not let the music die.............

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#125 Post by J.J. Walters »

Steve, you are my kind of guy, man! I wish I had ran into you back in the day (or now). You too, Sam and Conch and Doc, and so many others on this board! But hey, friends come in many different forms. I'm so thankful just to know you guys, even though we've never met. You all are good people and that's a rare thing in today's world. :)

So cool that you and Sam are from the Twin Cities. My ex-wife went to Macalester in the late 80's, early 90's. She was way above my pay grade. LOL! I could never have gotten in there in a million years. But she told me a lot of great stories about St. Paul. I was there once briefly. Absolutely loved everything about it. A beautiful city with a rich, glorious history!

Speaking of dive bars, we had a tragedy here in the DC Metro Area a couple months ago. Hank Dietle's Tavern, a Rockville, Maryland institution since 1916, burned down to the ground thanks to a carelessly discarded cigarette a couple months ago. I grew up a couple miles away from the place and went there many times over the years. Such a sad, tragic end to the place. It truly was the last true dive bar in Montgomery County. Everything else now is Corporate. They say it's going to be rebuilt, but how on earth can it ever be the same? All because some idiot couldn't field butt his cig. Just the thought of it makes my face red! And I'm a smoker! :x

Anyway, guys, if you are ever in DC, definitely swing by Blues Alley in Georgetown. You won't be disappointed.

One last thing, I had to capture a screen shot of the "Baby, Please Don't Go" performance. I wish I could blow this up and make a poster out of it. "What about Keith!" "Yeah, what about Keith!" And everybody else in the shot! :)

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#126 Post by Sam »

I just found this... this is just one week before Oakley died..
Ain't but one way Babe and I just can't go out that door

youtu.be/J5IcEGo6uPw

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#127 Post by J.J. Walters »

I'm so feeling that, Sam! :)

youtu.be/niI2yEEJtYE

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#128 Post by Sam »

J.J. Walters wrote:I'm so feeling that, Sam! :)

youtu.be/niI2yEEJtYE
Good stuff. I was always a Buddy Holly fan..

Check this out you'll like it....

https://www.jambase.com/article/duane-a ... -date-1971

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#129 Post by ConchRepublican »

I'll add to the Stones vibe with a fave of mine . . .

youtu.be/1175axY2Vvw
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#130 Post by J.J. Walters »

Sam wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:I'm so feeling that, Sam! :)

youtu.be/niI2yEEJtYE
Good stuff. I was always a Buddy Holly fan..

Check this out you'll like it....

https://www.jambase.com/article/duane-a ... -date-1971
Cool article, Sam! The Dead played with Duane 5 times before his death in October of 1971. First show in July of 1969! And then they played with the Allman's a handful of times after, including the epic Summer Jam at Watkins Glen in 1973. Both bands had a healthy respect for one another. Duane and Jerry formed a close friendship.

Awesome version of "Happy", Conch! The Glimmer Twins at their peak of powers! :)

youtu.be/FuU0aTdHI4A

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#131 Post by ConchRepublican »

One of my all time favorite tunes . . . not the best recording, but there aren't many live Bob Seger options from back in the day available out there . . .

youtu.be/RGJpU-4nJI4
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#132 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow, you are not kidding, Conch! There are zero good clips of "Mainstreet" from the 70's! Surprising! Absolutely LOVE this song! Probably my favorite Seger song! Really cool that the clip is from the Cap Centre in DC Metro! My home turf! :)

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#133 Post by Sam »

Any love for Joe Cocker?

youtu.be/7ecZ94guWl0

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#134 Post by J.J. Walters »

Opening night on their new tour (May 17th). They still got it! :) Mick is 74, Keith is 74, Charlie is 76 and Ronnie is 70! Incredible! Mick looks like he could run a marathon! I hope and pray I am that fit at 74! Keith is laboring, but it's a damn miracle he is still alive, let alone playing stadium shows! Ronnie looks way younger than his age, especially considering the amount of alcohol he has consumed in his life. Charlie... what can you say. That guy could play in his 90's and still never miss a beat! :)

youtu.be/-GJ98YtqyIc

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#135 Post by Sam »

Hey, hey baby when you walk that way
Watch your honey drip, I can't keep away.

youtu.be/6tlSx0jkuLM