The Live Music Tread!

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Re: The Live Music Tread!

#136 Post by J.J. Walters »

Still thinking of my Mom. I'll never forget when I gave her a copy of this show on CD back in the late 90's. She kind of laughed and said, "The Grateful Dead?" I know what she was thinking, "Those damn hippies and their acid rock." ;) But being the trooper that she was, she honored my request and put the CD in her car and listened to it during her daily errands. A couple weeks later she told me how much she really enjoyed it! LOVED it, in fact! Wow, that was amazing. I shared many other live shows with her over the years (don't think she ever heard a studio album by the Dead, but the Dead was all about the live shows) and we had many great discussions about them. Treasured memories I will never forgot! And when I turned her on to Jerry Garica's bluegrass stuff, man, her mind was blown! :) This was her favorite song from that first CD I gave her, and the Dead song she always loved the most. It's one of my favorites too. RIP Mom!

youtu.be/pFQLzHtHXng
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#137 Post by ConchRepublican »

Getting ready for tomorrow's concert, a double shot of bands I haven't seen live before, Journey & Def Leppard.

I love this tune, and I'm looking forward to hearing Arnel Pineda. Everything I have seen so far it impressive.

youtu.be/NSAo5kCp72g

I'm not sold on Def Leppard at this point, but I missed their 80s heyday so I'll go in not expecting much and see what happens.

youtu.be/Q7YVvsBnf64

In a few weeks I'm taking dad to see a classic voice, Franki Valli. My favorite Four Seasons tune . . . Opus 17

youtu.be/tzRlqBfmoVw
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#138 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hope you enjoyed the shows, Conch! Love Journey and Def Leppard! But, like so many bands, only the early eras! Journey is not the same without Steve Perry (and Gregg Rolie), although I've heard Arnel Pineda is great. I never get tired of Def Leppard's first four albums, particularly Pyromania! :)

Favorite Journey song (with Perry and Rolie on shared vocals)...

youtu.be/vg5vziU-qIs
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#139 Post by Steve »

J.J. Walters wrote:Hope you enjoyed the shows, Conch! Love Journey and Def Leppard! But, like so many bands, only the early eras! Journey is not the same without Steve Perry (and Gregg Rolie), although I've heard Arnel Pineda is great. I never get tired of Def Leppard's first four albums, particularly Pyromania! :)

youtu.be/vg5vziU-qIs

One of my all time favorites from Journey as well.........What a great band with so many great songs and man, that Steve Perry rules!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#140 Post by ConchRepublican »

Steve wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:Hope you enjoyed the shows, Conch! Love Journey and Def Leppard! But, like so many bands, only the early eras! Journey is not the same without Steve Perry (and Gregg Rolie), although I've heard Arnel Pineda is great. I never get tired of Def Leppard's first four albums, particularly Pyromania! :)

youtu.be/vg5vziU-qIs

One of my all time favorites from Journey as well.........What a great band with so many great songs and man, that Steve Perry rules!
I agree with you guys - while I really like where the band went with Steve Perry and Jonathan Cain, there's something more soulful about the short time Rolie was there sharing vocals with Perry. But they really took off, some of my fave 80s songs are by Journey, especially their rockers.

As for the concert, Pineda did a good job. He sounded a little off to me, a little nasally, but then I try to think about what Perry would actually sound like live today and it puts things in perspective. They found an excellent substitute.

Setlist:
Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)
Only the Young
Be Good to Yourself
Stone in Love
Wildest Dream
Lights
(With Neal Schon guitar prelude)
Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'
Jonathan Cain Piano Solo
(With “When You Love a Woman”,… more )
Open Arms
Escape
La Do Da
(With Steve Smith drum solo)
Neal Schon Guitar Solo
Wheel in the Sky
Faithfully
Don't Stop Believin'

Encore:
Any Way You Want It

As for Def Leppard . . . WOW! They blew the roof of the joint! I wasn't sure what to expect but they were incredible. Joe Elliot sounded great, the use of the videos and other tech, they put on a hell of a show. I felt like it was 1988! They really were the headliner. Surprisingly this was their first ever official tour stop at Madison Square Garden, I think that gave them an extra boost.

Setlist:
Rocket
Animal
Foolin'
When Love and Hate Collide
Let's Get Rocked
Armageddon It
Rock On
(David Essex cover)
Two Steps Behind
Man Enough
Love Bites
Bringin' on the Heartbreak
Switch 625
Hysteria
Pour Some Sugar on Me

Encore:
Rock of Ages
Photograph
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

MHTR
Vice Admiral

#141 Post by MHTR »

How come the yt videos are no longer embedded?