The Live Music Tread!

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Steve
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Live Music Tread!

#106 Post by Steve »

Wow, it is amazing how long it takes some of these great bands and artists to finally get in. Dire Straits helped put MTV on the map....No, I won't pick Money For Nothing but here is my favorite.....

youtu.be/BkZIArN5bXE

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#107 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

I've got yet another ode to Pahonu, Kapena's "Don’t Say Goodbye"... :cry:

youtu.be/mqkKOdIRJI0

(This is part of an ongoing Hawaiian music series on youtube, most of them on location at the Ko'olau Ballrooms & Conference Center at the Pali Golf Course https://koolauballrooms.com)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#108 Post by J.J. Walters »

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#109 Post by J.J. Walters »

Cuing up some early Floyd. Brings me happiness, scary however it may be. :)

youtu.be/tMpGdG27K9o

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#110 Post by J.J. Walters »

I just heard that the Stones are going to tour the UK this month and June (their first since 2006). These guys have been around for 56 years! 56! That is un-freakin-belive-able! :shock:

What a career! What a band! Keith, I can't believe you are still alive! Keep on truckin', man! :)

youtu.be/6dZSOXZcQfQ

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#111 Post by Sam »

Pretty good band JJ... but they haven't had anything new in 40 years :lol: :lol:

The question Beatles or the Stones? I vote Stones..

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#112 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hey, Sam. I respect you immensely, but I respectfully disagree. They've had 8 albums of new material since 1981. Tattoo You (1981), Undercover (1983), Dirty Work (1986), Steel Wheels (1989), Voodoo Lounge (1994), Bridges to Babylon (1997), A Bigger Bang (2005) and Blue & Lonesome (2016). All solid if you ask me, especially Tattoo You, Steel Wheels, A Bigger Bang and Blue & Lonesome (a Blues cover album). The Stones have been relevant their entire 50+ year career, a true rarity in today's world.

If you had asked me 30 years ago, I would have said The Beatles, but today, it's The Stones! :)

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#113 Post by Sam »

... this was regarding the doors

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#114 Post by Sam »

J.J. Walters wrote:Hey, Sam. I respect you immensely, but I respectfully disagree. They've had 8 albums of new material since 1981. Tattoo You (1981), Undercover (1983), Dirty Work (1986), Steel Wheels (1989), Voodoo Lounge (1994), Bridges to Babylon (1997), A Bigger Bang (2005) and Blue & Lonesome (2016). All solid if you ask me, especially Tattoo You, Steel Wheels, A Bigger Bang and Blue & Lonesome (a Blues cover album). The Stones have been relevant their entire 50+ year career, a true rarity in today's world.

If you had asked me 30 years ago, I would have said The Beatles, but today, it's The Stones! :)
Haha I've been to four Stones concerts... first one in 1964.. the second in Akron Ohio in the early seventies when a bomb went off on stage the day before the concert..-
Two concerts in Minneapolis.. maybe a memory from an old man.. Sheesh it just seem like they always played the early songs in the concerts..

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#115 Post by Steve »

That is one band I have always wanted to see live, alas, the tickets have just gotten out of reach for a man with a son in college!
The closest I will ever get was when we were still dating, my wife did take me to see Live At The Max at Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry. This was in 1991 when the I-Max theaters were very rare, the screens were huge and curved and there were 96 speakers situated around the room. They were at the top of their game and it was amazing.

Beatles vs Stones???? For their catalog and rightful place at the top in music history The Beatles....As a raw, rock and roll band I would love to see live: The Stones....

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#116 Post by J.J. Walters »

Good to feel the love for The Stones! Sam, you saw them four times, and in '64! I'm so jealous! ;)

I saw them twice, back-to-back at RFK Stadium in D.C. during the Steel Wheels Tour in '89. I had shitty seats, but it was a GREAT show! :)

Here are the dates for their upcoming tour. Being a Premier League soccer fan, I think it's so cool they are playing at Old Trafford!

May 17 - Croke Park, Dublin, Ireland
May 22 - London Stadium, U.K.
Jun 05 - Old Trafford, Manchester, U.K.
Jun 09 - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh, U.K.
Jun 15 - Principality Stadium, Cardiff, U.K.
Jun 19 - Twickenham Stadium, U.K.
Jun 22 - Olympiastadion, Berlin, Germany
Jun 26 - Orange Velodrome, Marseille, France
Jun 30 - Mercedes-Benz Arena, Stuttgart, Germany
Jul 04 - Letnany Airport, Prague, Czech Republic
Jul 08 - PGE Narodowy Stadium, Warsaw, Poland

Here is one of my favorite Stones clips. 1981 during their Tattoo You Tour. They just showed up at a Muddy Waters show in Chicago at the Checkerboard Lounge. They sat down at a table in front of the stage (bodyguards in tow), watched the show for a while, then came on stage (in epic fashion) at played with him! Muddy was one of their idols! So cool! :)

youtu.be/z3Or7huOK7o

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#117 Post by Sam »

J.J. Walters wrote:Good to feel the love for The Stones! Sam, you saw them four times, and in '64! I'm so jealous! ;)

I saw them twice, back-to-back at RFK Stadium in D.C. during the Steel Wheels Tour in '89. I had shitty seats, but it was a GREAT show! :)

Here are the dates for their upcoming tour. Being a Premier League soccer fan, I think it's so cool they are playing at Old Trafford!

Here is one of my favorite Stones clips. 1981 during their Tattoo You Tour. They just showed up at a Muddy Waters show in Chicago at the Checkerboard Lounge. They sat down at a table in front of the stage (bodyguards in tow), watched the show for a while, then came on stage (in epic fashion) at played with him! Muddy was one of their idols! So cool! :)

youtu.be/z3Or7huOK7o
I think I posted that clip or I was going to post it... the 64 concert maybe doesn't really count.. I saw them for two songs and then we left.. they played at a place called Big Reggies Danceland in Excelsior Minnesota. It was across the street from an amusement park.. Excelsior amusement park on Lake Minnetonka old amusement park built in 1930.. the concert didn't go over that well.. let me find you a link... my family moved to Minnesota 1961 and we lived on Lake Minnetonka forJune and July that year... there was a drug store in town called bacon drug that's the first place I ever had a Cherry Coke... fast forward three years later when the Stones played Excelsior story has it Jimmy Hutmaker met Mick at the bacon drug store...... and the lyrics from You Can't Always Get What You Want came from that drug store that day..

Here's the story if you're interested.

http://www.swnewsmedia.com/lakeshore_we ... 9965d.html
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Hutmaker

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#118 Post by Steve »

Sam wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:Good to feel the love for The Stones! Sam, you saw them four times, and in '64! I'm so jealous! ;)

youtu.be/z3Or7huOK7o
I think I posted that clip or I was going to post it... the 64 concert maybe doesn't really count.. I saw them for two songs and then we left.. they played at a place called Big Reggies Danceland in Excelsior Minnesota. It was across the street from an amusement park.. Excelsior amusement park on Lake Minnetonka old amusement park built in 1930.. the concert didn't go over that well.. let me find you a link... my family moved to Minnesota 1961 and we lived on Lake Minnetonka forJune and July that year... there was a drug store in town called bacon drug that's the first place I ever had a Cherry Coke... fast forward three years later when the Stones played Excelsior story has it Jimmy Hutmaker met Mick at the bacon drug store...... and the lyrics from You Can't Always Get What You Want came from that drug store that day..

Here's the story if you're interested.

http://www.swnewsmedia.com/lakeshore_we ... 9965d.html
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Hutmaker
YES! I love that clip as well, saw it when PBS ran it as a pledge drive a couple of years ago. The Stones were notorious for going into local lounges after their Stadium Shows to wind down but somehow the word would get out and there would be lines around the block at local spots...The Checkerboard Lounge is long gone, torn down and just an empty lot, all that history gone. Sam, my family moved to Minnesota in 1964 and I remember Excelsior Amusement Park well and Axel's Fun House named after one of our beloved local children's show characters in Minnesota; Axel's Treehouse.
(I don't recall but did The Stones ever do one of their pop-ins at The Cabooze or First Avenue?)

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#119 Post by 308GUY »

Steve wrote:
Beatles vs Stones???? For their catalog and rightful place at the top in music history The Beatles....As a raw, rock and roll band I would love to see live: The Stones....

Nailed it! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#120 Post by J.J. Walters »

The cast of characters that come and go in that clip is something else! A perfect time capsule for the early 80's. I love how Muddy says to the Stones, "Get yourself a drink there... Take your time, don't rush it." LOL! And then Keith is seen swigging a bottle with two babes by his side! :) Kind of odd that it took Mick a while to go on stage. Muddy was calling him out, but it took a few bars for him to finally go up. Love how Keith and Ron both walked on the table (cig in mouth) to get on stage! :)