Leonard Nimoy, R.I.P.

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Leonard Nimoy, R.I.P.

#1 Post by Little Garwood »

Age 83.

Of course, The Great Nimoy will always be Mr. Spock, but I also fondly remember his two-year stint on Mission: Impossible as "The Great Paris":

"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

BWheelz54
Admiral

Re: Leonard Nimoy, R.I.P.

#2 Post by BWheelz54 »

Thank you, Mr. Nimoy. Your characters and story-telling always had a positive impact on me. I'm sure going to miss you, but you lived a life to make all of us proud.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Danno »

I will miss Nimoy.

Don't forget he also directed Three Men and a Baby

Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Steve »

A great loss but I am sure looking forward to the nerd parade that is going to surround that funeral.... :shock:

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by 308GUY »

R.I.P. 83 doesn't seem near long enough.

What a legacy he leaves.

Wouldn't it be great if Genesis were reality.

He "Has been and shall always be our friend".

Thank you for the memories, Mr Nimoy.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Tony308
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#6 Post by Tony308 »

A great loss!

He was well known for Star Trek, but he was on other films, like on the "Body snatchers" original film, cult movie.

R.I.P.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

He lived long and prospered. RIP Mr. Nimoy!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Little Garwood »

Found a nice Nimoy tribute by writer David Gerrold:

"A great television series always has a star character at the center. Trek had Kirk. All In The Family had Archie. Mary Tyler Moore had Mary. The Big Bang Theory has Sheldon. But every great television series often has a "glue" character who holds it all together. All In The Family had Edith as the glue. Without her, the show doesn't work. Mary Tyler Moore had Lou Grant. Without him, there's no gravitas. TBBT has Leonard (and occasionally Penny). Without that grounding in reality, the show flies apart.

Spock was the glue. He was the gravitas. Ironically, as much as he represented logic and rationality, he was also the heart and soul of the show. While everyone else plugged into their emotions, Spock was the voice of human rationality at work. But Spock was the most impossible character to write for. Without emotion, he could be a dry dull caricature. A robot.

D.C. Fontana gave Leonard Nimoy the scripts that expanded on Spock's nature. Leonard Nimoy brought Spock to life as a way of being, as a role model, as a unique vision of complex individual. Spock was rational. But he was also aware of his emotions. His job was to be the master of his feelings, not enslaved by them. Given 79 scripts by nearly 60 different authors, Leonard Nimoy created a singular vision of the rational being, so vividly that he became a cultural icon -- more than any other character in modern fiction or television.

Okay, yes, we see lots of Darth Vaders at various conventions -- but Darth Vader isn't a hero, isn't a role model. He's a variation on Ming the Merciless, an impressive villain, to be sure -- but Spock? Spock is the hero of the twentieth and twenty-first centuries, in a league with Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Who ... and uh ... and uh ... no one else.

The remarkable thing about Spock isn't Spock and it isn't just Nimoy's singular invention of Spock --- it is that Spock is very much a reflection of Leonard Nimoy's own character as a man.

Nimoy was gracious, friendly, loving, supportive, brilliant, and ultimately a person who continually challenged himself to expand his own horizons. He was generous in nature, humble in spirit.

So Spock was never just a performance as much as it was an evocation of the soul within.
I think, to a great degree, it was that inner nature that most of us were responding to.

I did not get to spend a lot of time with Leonard, there were always too many others shoving in to spend time with him -- and I'd already had my moment. I'd given him lines to speak, and he'd brought them to life. I couldn't ask for better. No writer could. But in the moments we did spend together, he always made me feel important.

If there is one lesson I would want to learn from Leonard Nimoy, that would be the one -- how to love life to the fullest and cherish everyone in it.

I'm not going to miss Leonard, because he's still here in my heart. I will, however, regret that there will be no new memories to have."
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Steve »

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#10 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Steve wrote:From our man Selleck..........

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/l ... ral-779177
Thanks Steve.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.