"Fear and Loathing" Aloha Shirt

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: "Fear and Loathing" Aloha Shirt

#16 Post by ConchRepublican »

Sam wrote:..
If that's morse code for "I", I think we have a very long story in front of us.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Sam »

Hi LG,

I sent you a PM..

I found this last night,if true,in all likely hood the shirt was manufactured and not made in a wardrobe department.

5 reasons why Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas is an underrated classic | WOW247

Design may be a slight overstatement, but Hunter did dedicate most of his wardrobe to the studio’s costume department. Everything that Depp wears during the movie is straight out of Thompson’s closet. God knows what kind of horrific stains are embedded in that fabric. Feel free to shudder.

http://www.wow247.co.uk/blog/2015/02/02 ... d-classic/

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Little Garwood »

I mentioned earlier that while the Depp shirt's pattern is still readily available, that early '70s color...palette..may be more difficult to find.

Most of the customer reviews regarding the cosplay version of the shirt deride it as being cheaply made.

As to HST donating his wardrobe to Depp for the film, that doesn't surprise me in the least! I'm making my way through the extra features on the Criterion dvd and there's a bit of footage where Thompson is shaving Depp's head and otherwise hanging out with Depp in the actor's trailer. The two were apparently good friends and it's most likely Depp's persistence and star power that got both F&L and the far-less surreal "prequel" film, 2011's The Rum Diary actually made. Both films were box office flops.

Until I can score one of those Aloha shirts, it's just going to have to be my "Holy Grail."
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by MagnumILWU »

$35.00 at moviescostume.com!
"pickled egg please"

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by terryfromkerry »

Little Garwood wrote:Does anyone know if the Aloha shirt worn by Johnny Depp is still being made? If so, where can I get it? Does anyone know the manufacturer? Here's a photo from the film Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

I've seen the whole get up sold on eBay, but I'd rather have a quality shirt from one of the better Aloha shirt sellers instead of a Halloween costume, which is what the entire outfit has been advertised on eBay.
Hi Little Garwood,

There is a very similar shirt on "alohashirtsofhawaii.com". When you enter the site click on " EXTRA LARGE" the inventory number is 309. This is a very reputable seller based in California I have bought several vintage shirts from him over the past several years. All premium brands and in great condition. I should be posting the link for you but to be honest I do not know how to do this. Have a look anyway the size might not work out of course but there are plenty shirts from the same era. :magnum:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Kalai-pahoa
Captain

#21 Post by Kalai-pahoa »

what about this one?
http://alohashirtsofhawaii.com/ShirtImages/M335.JPG

medium size, nr 335

I know what you're thinking, but this time you're wrong.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Little Garwood »

I was listening to one of the audio commentary tracks on the F&L DVD and someone commented that Depp's wardrobe were in fact borrowed from Hunter S. Thompson's personal collection (like Sam mentioned previously here), which would indicate that the elusive shirt in question was "off the rack." The search continues...
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck