R.I.P James Garner

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

R.I.P James Garner

#1 Post by No need to know! »

Will always remember him as Jim Rockford. He was just fantastic, and that show was great.
Onion´s extra?

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: R.I.P James Garner

#2 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

I read where Garner and Selleck became friends after Selleck's 2 appearances as Lance White on the Rockford Files. These are two wonderful episodes and well worth searching out, for all you Magnum fans, as they caused Hollywood to sit up and notice Selleck.
In fact I recall the PR surrounding Magnum PI's debut specifically noting that the audience might remember this newbie Selleck from his role on Rockford Files, which is why I tuned in.
Rockford is an updating of Jim Garner's Maverick character. And Lance White is a updating of one of the great Maverick episodes, "The Saga of Waco Williams".
Rockford associate Roy Huggins was notorious for swiping from his earlier efforts, some of his Alias Smith and Jones episodes swiped everything but the kitchen sink from Huggins scripts for The Virginian and Maverick. But the man was a genius and even if Lance White was a 1970's version of Waco Williams it was a gem of an episode.
I have always been of the opinion that Rockford Files was a real influence on Magnum's creators or perhaps in Selleck's vision of the character.
JJ, would you know anything about that? If you wrote about it before, sorry, I haven't read everything on your site as yet.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

removed by Dobie
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

BWheelz54
Admiral

#4 Post by BWheelz54 »

I've started watching the Rockford Files for the first time. Was sad to hear of Mr. Garner's passing. But half way into the first season, I have to ask because I was only a wee baby when the first season started. Were there that many car chases in the 70's? I'm really enjoying the show.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Little Garwood »

BWheelz54 wrote:I've started watching the Rockford Files for the first time. Was sad to hear of Mr. Garner's passing. But half way into the first season, I have to ask because I was only a wee baby when the first season started. Were there that many car chases in the 70's? I'm really enjoying the show.
Yes, and the reason for all the car chases is because American cars were fuel inefficient (about eight miles to the gallon) and those car chases were a way for us to thumb our noses at the 1973 and 1979 energy crises.

Welcome to the 1970s, BWheelz54. You're in good company. :wink:
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by terryfromkerry »

BWheelz54 wrote:I've started watching the Rockford Files for the first time. Was sad to hear of Mr. Garner's passing. But half way into the first season, I have to ask because I was only a wee baby when the first season started. Were there that many car chases in the 70's? I'm really enjoying the show.
Hi BWheelz54,

Welcome to the site I have enjoyed reading your posts.

To see the best car chases of that era you must see Bullet (1968) starring Steve McQueen and The Seven-Ups (1973) starring Roy Scheider. Each of these car chases are 8 to 10 minutes duration. Both films feature stunt driver / actor Bill Hickman. He was also involved in another classic car chase in The French Connection (1971). They dont make them like that anymore. You mention The Rockford Files ( I am a big fan ) apparently James Garner did his own stunt driving on the series. :)
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".