World Cup

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Re: World Cup

#31 Post by J.J. Walters »

The Brazil - Chile match today was fantastic! One of the most intense, hard fought games I've seen in a long, long time. I've never seen more fouls and yellow cards in my life. Is there anything more nerve-wracking than penalty kicks in a World Cup game? I'm not a fan of either team (although I was pulling for Brazil), but my heart was racing a mile a minute!

Hulk was the Man of the Match in my mind. That guy is a beast! LOL! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by terryfromkerry »

J.J. Walters wrote:The Brazil - Chile match today was fantastic! One of the most intense, hard fought games I've seen in a long, long time. I've never seen more fouls and yellow cards in my life. Is there anything more nerve-wracking than penalty kicks in a World Cup game? I'm not a fan of either team (although I was pulling for Brazil), but my heart was racing a mile a minute!

Hulk was the Man of the Match in my mind. That guy is a beast! LOL! :)
Yes ! a great game. Going out on a penalty shootout is cruel but great drama for the viewers. Hulk was "incredible" and lived up to his superhero name. The english referee Howard Webb imo had a great game and kept things from boiling over.

:)
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#33 Post by J.J. Walters »

Costa Rica - Greece, another thrilling match ending in penalty kicks! What excitement! The Ticos advance to the Quarters!

USA - Belgium tomorrow! Pressure!! :)

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Little Garwood »

J.J. Walters wrote:Hulk was the Man of the Match in my mind. That guy is a beast! LOL! :)
With all due respect, JJ...are you kidding?!? He flopped when bumped at the hip by a defender a quarter his size, his handball single-handedly took the crowd out of the game, AND he missed his penalty kick! Plus he's always whining and crying about some imagined foul.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by terryfromkerry »

Belgium v. USA .

Great game really sorry to see the USA exit the tournament. Goalkeeper Tim Howard for USA is my man of the match. :D
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#36 Post by J.J. Walters »

Little Garwood wrote:With all due respect, JJ...are you kidding?!? He flopped when bumped at the hip by a defender a quarter his size, his handball single-handedly took the crowd out of the game, AND he missed his penalty kick! Plus he's always whining and crying about some imagined foul.
True, but he was also dominating for large stretches, with great creativity and runs down the wing. One of the announcers during the match said the same thing, "man of the match", so it's not completely farfetched. The key with Hulk though is to not get angry. Bad things happen when he gets angry. ;)

Tough loss for the Lads against Belgium! They played hard, real hard. Tim Howard was out of his mind! I like the substitutions Klinnsy brought in: Yedlin, Wondo, Green. They almost pulled off the equalizer. What a game.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by KENJI »

Howard played brilliant and was the difference!
Belgium deserved to win, outshooting them 27 to 9 on net, but it was the shot that Wondolowski missed with a minute or two left in regulation time that could've won it for the U.S.. He will lose a few nights sleep over that missed opportunity!!! :shock:
A great effort though!

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by terryfromkerry »

Its official, Tim Howard goes into the history books for highest number of saves in a game. The most (15) since records began.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by Little Garwood »

J.J. Walters wrote:True, but he was also dominating for large stretches, with great creativity and runs down the wing. One of the announcers during the match said the same thing, "man of the match", so it's not completely farfetched. The key with Hulk though is to not get angry. Bad things happen when he gets angry. ;)
I know we disagree on his ability and even the type of game he had :) so I'll leave it at this about Hulk: he was also responsible for the blunder that led to Chile's equalizing goal. The video is here (ESPNFC; US only, sorry to our European and elsewhere friends).

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by Little Garwood »

~Tom Selleck

DogZy
Lieutenant

#41 Post by DogZy »

Belgium vs USA was probably the most exciting match till this day on WC in Brazil, but what we have seen today was once in a lifetime.
Brasil showed its true face, they should not have been in the semifinals anyway. Hats off to the german team.
Im cheering with all my heart now to the Netherlands...

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#42 Post by J.J. Walters »

7-1 Germany! What an amazing flurry of goals that was! Brazil looked utterly dejected at the halfway mark of the first half. Stunning! Never seen anything like it. :shock:

I really, really want to see a Netherlands - Germany final! Come on Oranje!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#43 Post by Doc Ibold »

J.J. Walters wrote:7-1 Germany! What an amazing flurry of goals that was! Brazil looked utterly dejected at the halfway mark of the first half. Stunning! Never seen anything like it. :shock:

I really, really want to see a Netherlands - Germany final! Come on Oranje!
My Brazilian clients were devastated, whereas my German producer was going absolutely nuts. Out of control!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#44 Post by ConchRepublican »

Training camps open soon, right?
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by KENJI »

This was one of the worst outcomes a host team could imagine.....a total collapse and a nightmare....poor defense/goalkeeping! There was eleven red faces out there today!
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
The only thing that could be worse would be a repeat performance against Argentina (assuming they lose their semi to the Netherlands) for third place. I agree with James.....I would love to see Germany vs. the Netherlands in the final.