World Cup

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

World Cup

#1 Post by KENJI »

I can't believe Spain is out of the World Cup so early!
Anyone have a prediction on who will win this year?
The goals are coming fast and furious this time around with some brilliant ones like the "Flying Dutchman's" header!
http://www.lfpress.com/2014/06/18/van-p ... sieing-fun

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

Re: World Cup

#2 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hi Kenji,

Yes the Dutchman's goal was stunning ! Having watched several of the games so far I feel Italy will win the tournament. Pirlo is majestic in his mid field position and his continued presence could see them all the way imo.

:magnum: :magnum:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by KENJI »

Hi Terry,
Italy's first goal against England was excellent! They are a contender that's for sure. I bet Brazil is really feeling the pressure to win on home soil!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Little Garwood »

Tim Cahill's riposte to Arjen Robben's goal was a delight to behold. Australia have played much better than many other teams that are going through to the Round of 16; it's a pity the Socceroos aren't among them.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

KENJI wrote:Anyone have a prediction on who will win this year?
Portugal...if the knee holds out.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by KENJI »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
KENJI wrote:Anyone have a prediction on who will win this year?
Portugal...if the knee holds out.

Ronaldo could be a threat on Sunday against the US, but based on the pic that you posted RG, he looks really out of shape.....look at that gut!!! :lol:
Italy had a hiccup today against Costa Rica!

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by terryfromkerry »

Italy's hiccup ............ did'nt see that coming.

:oops:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by KENJI »

terryfromkerry wrote:Italy's hiccup ............ did'nt see that coming.

:oops:
Nor did I Terry!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

KENJI wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote: Portugal...if the knee holds out.

Ronaldo could be a threat on Sunday against the US, but based on the pic that you posted RG, he looks really out of shape.....look at that gut!!! :lol:
Oh yeah, Kenji, I see what you mean...they look like luuuuuuuuuuuv handles.

On a side note, I read that he's named after Ronald Reagan! :shock:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#10 Post by J.J. Walters »

So excited about the upcoming match against Portugal! Ronaldo hobbling, Altidore and Pepe out, Dempsey playing with a broken nose, match played in the middle of the Amazon! Oh, the drama!

I really hope Graham Zusi gets a start and we switch back to a 4-2-3-1, with Dempsey up top, Zusi and Bedoya on the wings and Bradley setting the table. Then bring in Wondo and Johnson in the second half. Should be a great match!

Really bummed that the Three Lions are already out! They are my #2 team. :(
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by terryfromkerry »

J.J. Walters wrote:So excited about the upcoming match against Portugal! Ronaldo hobbling, Altidore and Pepe out, Dempsey playing with a broken nose, match played in the middle of the Amazon! Oh, the drama!

I really hope Graham Zusi gets a start and we switch back to a 4-2-3-1, with Dempsey up top, Zusi and Bedoya on the wings and Bradley setting the table. Then bring in Wondo and Johnson in the second half. Should be a great match!

Really bummed that the Three Lions are already out! They are my #2 team. :(
Hi JJ,

USA have been exciting to watch. Could not believe the player who broke Dempsey's nose was not sent off. :shock: Even if it was an honest effort to play the ball it was still dangerous play imo.

Go USA!

:)

BWheelz54
Admiral

#12 Post by BWheelz54 »

I wonder what kind of story Higgins would have concerning his time with the English football squad. Maybe some kind of tale set in the late 40s or early 50s? Maybe even besting the French team? Would Higgins be a player, a coach or a leader of his own team of hooligans? :higgins:

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by terryfromkerry »

BWheelz54 wrote:I wonder what kind of story Higgins would have concerning his time with the English football squad. Maybe some kind of tale set in the late 40s or early 50s? Maybe even besting the French team? Would Higgins be a player, a coach or a leader of his own team of hooligans? :higgins:
Hi B54

LOL! one can only imagine what Higgins might have used instead of a football during that period when supplies and equipment were scarce. A ball of twine (string) perhaps that kept unravelling. A confrontation quickly ensues with the referee ( the regiment's chaplain standing in as referee). The referee disallows what seems like a perfectly good goal because the unravelling "ball" had not fully crossed the line. The other end of the "ball" still out near the corner flag! :higgins: :lol:

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by KENJI »

terryfromkerry wrote:
BWheelz54 wrote:I wonder what kind of story Higgins would have concerning his time with the English football squad. Maybe some kind of tale set in the late 40s or early 50s? Maybe even besting the French team? Would Higgins be a player, a coach or a leader of his own team of hooligans? :higgins:
Hi B54

LOL! one can only imagine what Higgins might have used instead of a football during that period when supplies and equipment were scarce. A ball of twine (string) perhaps that kept unravelling. A confrontation quickly ensues with the referee ( the regiment's chaplain standing in as referee). The referee disallows what seems like a perfectly good goal because the unravelling "ball" had not fully crossed the line. The other end of the "ball" still out near the corner flag! :higgins: :lol:
I can picture Higgins telling the story right now with T.M. raising his eyebrows followed by his famous giggle - well done guys!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »

"Ipswich, 1949. Wilf Mannion and Alf Ramsey and I were having a pint at the Dove Street Inn, pondering our tactics for the upcoming FIFA World Cup, when..." :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!