Any Private Investigators here?

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

Any Private Investigators here?

#1 Post by The Birdman »

I was wundering if anybody could elaberate on the real life laws governing P.I.s and what kind of work you get in general. I think in California a PI could carry a gun while actually performing his job (not sure why you would even need a gun?) A buddy of mine was working for a PI about 15 years ago in SoCal, only doing survielance to catch cheating spouses though.

Anyways the thing that got me thinking is that I recently became a security guard and in training we were told we could be charged with coercion if we made someone "feel compelled" to answer questions. We were warned not to even ask any questions about crimes that an individual may have committed.

I'm sure PIs can't go picking locks and entering homes sneaking around like TM did on the show, but what is the extent of what a PI can do to "investigate" anything?
Uh PHRASING!!!!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

Re: Any Private Investigators here?

#2 Post by 308GUY »

You mean you haven't read Luther's book??? :lol:

I don't have a clue to honestly answering your question in earnest, but I just couldn't resist the temptation to relate to something from the series that "almost" applies, and I thought was funny.

Not even sure how you would go about finding the legitimate answer, but if you know any lawyers, they may have an idea, or know where to look.

Sorry for the detour..... :magnum:

Here's a link that gives a general outline: http://www.bsis.ca.gov/customer_service/faqs/pi.shtml

A Google search turns up lots of different sites, seems to vary by state, so if you are really interested in gathering info or learning more, I'd start with an internet search. Could possibly lead you to somebody local (or not) that you could actually talk to and get specifics for your location/situation. Just a thought. 8)
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

308GUY wrote:You mean you haven't read Luther's book??? :lol:
Too funny 308GUY! :D

Yes, just Google "legal limitations of a private investigator" and perhaps include what state...a ton of info comes up.

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#4 Post by The Birdman »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
308GUY wrote:You mean you haven't read Luther's book??? :lol:
Too funny 308GUY! :D

Yes, just Google "legal limitations of a private investigator" and perhaps include what state...a ton of info comes up.
Ah come on. I wanted a lively discussion here, not just look up the laws. I thought for sure there would be a person here who became a PI because they were inspired by MPI. I've always kinda wanted to be a PI my self. I thought "how cool would it be to move to hawaii and become a PI".
Uh PHRASING!!!!