What are you reading?

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Danno
Fleet Admiral

Re: What are you reading?

#61 Post by Danno »

BWheelz54 wrote:Hey Danno

A thumbs up from me too on Ready Player One. What a fun nostalgia trip. Post what you think of Armada!
Hey BWheelz54, I didn't think much of Armada. It felt formulaic and without the fun of Ready Player One.
I pretty much guessed the entire story before I finished it. I very much appreciate 80s references- but it felt like Cline was repeating himself a little too much. It's essentially an update of The Last Starfighter.

It's cynical, but my guess is that it was written to be transformed into a script- which I assume is happening at the moment as the rights have been bought by Universal.

I'm currently reading Seveneves by Neal Stephenson as recommended by Adam Savage over at Tested.com

Also, if you haven't read it already, The Martian by Andy Weir is excellent.

Yeah, I'm enjoying science fiction at the moment... 8)
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#62 Post by ConchRepublican »

J.J. Walters wrote:The last few books I've read. Oldies but goodies. Look Homeward is a 1957 reprint, Catch-22 is a 1961 reprint, Under the Volcano is a 1964 reprint, and The Executioners is a book club edition. 1st editions for these are just a little out of my price range. Under the Volcano is an absolute masterpiece! ;)

It just hit me . . . "Homeward, Angel, do you read me. Homeward Angel, Homeward Angel, do you read me"
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#63 Post by J.J. Walters »

ConchRepublican wrote:It just hit me . . . "Homeward, Angel, do you read me. Homeward Angel, Homeward Angel, do you read me"
As Higgins would say, "Quite". :)

There's another Thomas Wolfe reference in "Dream A Little Dream" when Magnum says in narration: "Maybe Thomas Wolfe was right. Maybe you can't go home again....but it sure is hell worth the try." (a reference to Wolfe's 1940 novel You Can't Go Home Again) I found Look Homeward, Angel to be a tough read, but I enjoyed it. It's similar to reading James Joyce, most of it goes over my head. ;)

Well, for me it's back to Stephen King (always back to Stephen King :) ). Hard Case Crime just released the illustrated hardcover edition of Joyland, one of my favorite King novels. The great Glen Orbik (who sadly passed away this year) did the cover art again. Joyland was originally released by Hard Case Crime as a paperback original in 2013. The illustrations are wonderful. What a joy it is to read Joyland again!

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

BWheelz54
Admiral

#64 Post by BWheelz54 »

Hi again Danno

Thanks for the review of Armada. That doesn't surprise me. Though I thought Ready Player One was a lot of fun, it's structure was really pretty standard for the current books the publishers are putting out for science fiction these days. I find it hard to find really original, new stuff that I care a lot for on today's bookshelves. Kinda tired of all the young adult stories out there like all the Hunger Games ripoffs (Hunger Games itself being a ripoff of Ender's Game). The Martian has been on my radar. That sounds like maybe the next one I need to check out. Thanks again Danno.

ConchRepublican

#65 Post by ConchRepublican »

J.J. Walters wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:It just hit me . . . "Homeward, Angel, do you read me. Homeward Angel, Homeward Angel, do you read me"
As Higgins would say, "Quite". :)

There's another Thomas Wolfe reference in "Dream A Little Dream" when Magnum says in narration: "Maybe Thomas Wolfe was right. Maybe you can't go home again....but it sure is hell worth the try." (a reference to Wolfe's 1940 novel You Can't Go Home Again) I found Look Homeward, Angel to be a tough read, but I enjoyed it. It's similar to reading James Joyce, most of it goes over my head. ;)

Well, for me it's back to Stephen King (always back to Stephen King :) ). Hard Case Crime just released the illustrated hardcover edition of Joyland, one of my favorite King novels. The great Glen Orbik (who sadly passed away this year) did the cover art again. Joyland was originally released by Hard Case Crime as a paperback original in 2013. The illustrations are wonderful. What a joy it is to read Joyland again!

Thanks for sharing JJ! I haven't read that King book yet, I'll have to give it a try. I like the throwback style, looks interesting!

These little things they drop in the show, Thomas Wolfe being an example, are just reason #436 why the series was so good. It was so well written it could be watched and enjoyed on many different levels. Great stuff . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot

ConchRepublican

#66 Post by ConchRepublican »

So, i'm almost done with my last batch of books. After finishing Dan Simmons first two Hyperion books, I then slipped over to an apocalyptic theme with Alas, Babylon and now I'm about 30 pages away from completing Lucifer's Hammer.

All were very good but I don't think I'd recommend reading two end of the world novels back to back. I usually read back and forth on the train and when I'd get to the station it could take a second for the vibe to wear off . . . "why is everyone so calm? Oh right, that's just a book". :-) Yeah, I get lost in the words.

So, next up I have the following:

I think I'm going to lead off with Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential. I really enjoy his TV shows and am looking forward into seeing how it all began.

Then it's off to meet up with Travis McGee again, with books 3 and 4 of John D. MacDonald's series, A Purple Place for Dying and The Quick Red Fox. I'm thinking I'll enjoy the warm settings as the weather turns here in NYC.

Finally I'll be closing out with something I've been wanting to do for a while, start reading more of the classics. I keep trying Hemingway, but while he may have lived an exciting life his writing is extremely bland so, my first William Faulkner book, As I Lay Dying. Hopefully he doesn't fully scare me off.
CoziTV Superfan spot

ConchRepublican

#67 Post by ConchRepublican »

Danno wrote:
BWheelz54 wrote:Hey Danno

A thumbs up from me too on Ready Player One. What a fun nostalgia trip. Post what you think of Armada!
Hey BWheelz54, I didn't think much of Armada. It felt formulaic and without the fun of Ready Player One.
I pretty much guessed the entire story before I finished it. I very much appreciate 80s references- but it felt like Cline was repeating himself a little too much. It's essentially an update of The Last Starfighter.

It's cynical, but my guess is that it was written to be transformed into a script- which I assume is happening at the moment as the rights have been bought by Universal.

I'm currently reading Seveneves by Neal Stephenson as recommended by Adam Savage over at Tested.com

Also, if you haven't read it already, The Martian by Andy Weir is excellent.

Yeah, I'm enjoying science fiction at the moment... 8)
Hey Danno,

I don't know anything about those books, I'll have to add them to the "checkout" list. Thanks!
CoziTV Superfan spot

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#68 Post by J.J. Walters »

ConchRepublican wrote:So, i'm almost done with my last batch of books. After finishing Dan Simmons first two Hyperion books, I then slipped over to an apocalyptic theme with Alas, Babylon and now I'm about 30 pages away from completing Lucifer's Hammer.

All were very good but I don't think I'd recommend reading two end of the world novels back to back. I usually read back and forth on the train and when I'd get to the station it could take a second for the vibe to wear off . . . "why is everyone so calm? Oh right, that's just a book". :-) Yeah, I get lost in the words.
LOL! You should read Earth Abides next and make it a trifecta! One of the best post-apocalyptic novels ever written.

You'll love A Purple Place for Dying and The Quick Red Fox, Conch. I actually like these better than the first two. The first two books were a bit rushed, as JDM himself has said in interviews. McDonald is just starting to find his stride here (regarding McGee) with books 3 and 4.

I'm reading Richard Laymon's Once Upon a Halloween right now (Cemetery Dance signed limited edition). Timely, huh. Big fan of Laymon. First rate horror writer.

Happy Halloween! :twisted:

ConchRepublican

#69 Post by ConchRepublican »

J.J. Walters wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:So, i'm almost done with my last batch of books. After finishing Dan Simmons first two Hyperion books, I then slipped over to an apocalyptic theme with Alas, Babylon and now I'm about 30 pages away from completing Lucifer's Hammer.

LOL! You should read Earth Abides next and make it a trifecta! One of the best post-apocalyptic novels ever written.
Ha!

Earth Abides was added to my Amazon Wish list last October . . . haven't gotten around to it yet. I think I'll take a breather on the apocalypse for now. :wink:
CoziTV Superfan spot

ConchRepublican

#70 Post by ConchRepublican »

J.J. Walters wrote: I'm reading Richard Laymon's Once Upon a Halloween right now (Cemetery Dance signed limited edition). Timely, huh. Big fan of Laymon. First rate horror writer.

Happy Halloween! :twisted:
Never heard of Laymon . . . another author to explore!
CoziTV Superfan spot

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#71 Post by J.J. Walters »

Earth Abides is the standard by which all post-apocalyptic novels are judged against. It still holds up remarkably well today.

Once Upon a Halloween was deliciously creepy. Perfect Halloween reading.

I'm off to Chicago now, late 70's, and the first Father Dowling mystery by Ralph McInerny (first edition). I've been wanting to read a Father Dowling mystery for years. I think he did like 25 of them. From what I hear, they are supposed to be much better (and much different) than the sub-par TV series with Tom Bosley.

ConchRepublican

#72 Post by ConchRepublican »

You weren't kidding about John D. MacDonald J.J., these books are really good!

I just fell right into A Purple Place for Dying, no "starting a new book adjustment period" or anything. this guy can write. It seems I will be collecting the rest of Travis' adventures.

He also is very much like Magnum, I think JDM had to have been an influence on the way the show was created and how the character finally came together.

Really good stuff.
CoziTV Superfan spot

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#73 Post by J.J. Walters »

Awesome Conch, glad you're enjoying the series so far! Purple is one of my favorites (along with Darker than Amber, Dress Her in Indigo, A Tan and Sandy Silence, The Dreadful Lemon Sky and The Green Ripper. But hell, they're ALL good!). I've often wondered if McGee was an influence on the creation of Magnum. It wouldn't surprise me if Bellasario was a fan.

One of my favorite quotes on McGee comes from an ad/blurb found in several JDM Fawcett Gold Medal paperbacks from the 60's:

Follow the quests of Travis McGee, amiable and incurable tilter at conformity, boat-bum Quixote, hopeless sucker for starving kittens, women in distress, and large, loose sums of money.

Sounds like Magnum! :)

I think I mentioned this before, but I'll mention it again. There is a really great, well-written JDM blog called The Trap of Solid Gold (named after a JDM short story). I've helped the blog owner/writer with some JDM books and short story lists. He's a great guy. Check it out some time.

http://thetrapofsolidgold.blogspot.com/
https://sites.google.com/site/stevescot ... -macdonald (short story list - 392 short stories!)
https://sites.google.com/site/stevescot ... -macdonald (books list - 78 books!)

ConchRepublican

#74 Post by ConchRepublican »

I'm definitely going to be checking out that blog (in my free time :-) ).

Did I mention I put off Faulkner?

Two more MacDonald books arrived,

A Deadly Shade of Gold.

and Bright Orange for the Shroud.

Needless to say, I'm very much enjoying the series.
CoziTV Superfan spot

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#75 Post by J.J. Walters »

Awesome, Conch! I like the covers on those new Random House reprints. Cool that Lee Child did the intro for Shroud. I'm a big fan of his.

I have all of the original Fawcett Gold Medal McGee's. The whole series up until The Turquoise Lament (1973) was initially released as paperback originals from Fawcett. Turquoise was the first McGee hardcover first edition (Lippincott). Here are the original Fawcett Gold Medal covers from the first six McGee's (1964-1965). All cover art by Ron Lesser. LOVE these covers! Sooooo 1960's! :)