Stephen King

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Re: Stephen King

#16 Post by J.J. Walters »

For those looking for a great summer read.

Trailer for Stephen's latest book (Mr. Mercedes)

His first hard-boiled detective novel. It does not disappoint.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#17 Post by ConchRepublican »

J.J. Walters wrote:For those looking for a great summer read.

Trailer for Stephen's latest book (Mr. Mercedes)

His first hard-boiled detective novel. It does not disappoint.
Trailers for books . . . Is this a new thing?
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#18 Post by J.J. Walters »

It's more of a promo, really. Not sure why I called it a 'trailer'. Anyway, it's really well done. He's had a few done in the past, but nothing like this one. When your name is Stephen King things like this can get done. :)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#19 Post by J.J. Walters »

Like Stephen King's great zombie short story "Home Delivery" (1989), I'm resurrecting this thread from the dead! :)

"Uncle Stevie's" next book will be The Outsider, from Srcibner in May.

"An eleven-year-old boy's violated corpse is found in a town park. Eyewitnesses and fingerprints point unmistakably to one of Flint City’s most popular citizens. He is Terry Maitland, Little League coach, English teacher, husband, and father of two girls. Detective Ralph Anderson, whose son Maitland once coached, orders a quick and very public arrest. Maitland has an alibi, but Anderson and the district attorney soon add DNA evidence to go with the fingerprints and witnesses. Their case seems ironclad.

As the investigation expands and horrifying answers begin to emerge, King’s propulsive story kicks into high gear, generating strong tension and almost unbearable suspense. Terry Maitland seems like a nice guy, but is he wearing another face? When the answer comes, it will shock you as only Stephen King can."

As usual, it will be great! :)

He also edited an upcoming anthology about the fear of flying (which I share!), from Cemetery Dance Publications, called Flight or Fright. He introduces each story. It features classic tales like Richard Matheson's "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" (which was made into a classic Twilight Zone episode) and "The Flying Machine" by Ray Bradbury, but also new stories by King ("The Turbulence Expert") and his son Joe Hill ("You Are Released"). As somebody who hates to fly, this will be great airport reading! :shock:

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#20 Post by marlboro »

Have you read any of his son's books? I've only read one; it definitely had a similar style to his old man's books.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#21 Post by J.J. Walters »

I've read all of them. He is a REALLY good writer! He's won several prestigious awards (including a World Fantasy award). He actually was writing and getting published in many publications (Postscripts, The High Plains Literary Review, etc) before anyone knew he was Stephen King's son, hence his pen name "Joe Hill". He made a conscious effort to get published on his own, without the connection to his famous father. Although many people suspected it for years (his real name is Joseph Hillstrom King). He eventually came out with the truth in 2007.

I like his short stories better than his novels, but his novels are great, too (especially Heart-Shaped Box and NOS4A2)! His first book, 20th Century Ghosts (2005), a collection of his short stories published in literary magazines, is still my favorite. Just really great, thought-provoking stories! My second favorite is his Eisner-Award winning comic book series Locke & Key (illustrated by Gabriel Rodríguez).

Stephen King's younger son, Owen King, is also a respected writer. They wrote a huge book together last year called Sleeping Beauties, where all the women in the world suddenly fall asleep and don't wake up. The entire novel takes place in West Virginia. It was disappointing for me, and I couldn't finish it. It was only the second Stephen King book I couldn't finish (behind Lisey's Story, Ugh!). Owen is talented though.

How crazy proud Stephen must be to have two sons who are successful writers, along with his wife of 45+ years (Tabitha, who is also a good writer). And to be able to write stories together with your kids, that must be so thrilling! The "King's of Maine". What a family! :)