2014 Sochi Olympics

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

2014 Sochi Olympics

#1 Post by KENJI »

Anyone going to tune in?
I'm hearing they are struggling to finish off venues and hotels at the moment.
Some rooms don't have water, some do, but it is dangerous to use, others have no finished flooring, but they have a swell picture of Putin on their nightstand....glad to see they have their priorities straight :oops:
I also heard they are rounding up 100s of stray dogs and killing them....image is everything!
Someone said their mascots should be a hammer and nail because of all the construction that still needs to be finished.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: 2014 Sochi Olympics

#2 Post by ConchRepublican »

I also heard stories about no water, but they were told that if it did come on not to put it on their face, there's "dangerous stuff in it"!!!! :shock:

Poor Higgy must be losing it that the Empire faded and THIS is what replaced it. :wink:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#3 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Team Canada rocking it in the medals count currently. Gotta love it. Still, hockey is the only event that really matters.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by KENJI »

It will be interesting to see if both (men/women) Canadian hockey teams can repeat with back to back golds. The competition is going to be tough! Could you imagine Canada vs. Russia in the final - WOW or even Russia vs. USA (depending on how the draw is set up)......that would be one to watch!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Steve »

I'm hoping for a final medal round in hockey with USA vs. Canada ala 2010. What a fantastic game that was. I still like the downhill skiing, the luge and bobsled and I sometimes even take a peak at the womens figure skating. Oh, and I turn into the curling for a laugh as it is probably the only Olympic sport where you can probably partake in a Molson or two while competing...

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by KENJI »

A Canada vs. USA hockey final would be great (the 2010 final was extremely exciting), but with Russia being the host country it would make for the dream game they are looking for...just like in 2010 (that was perfect). I know Putin wants gold in hockey so that team is really feeling the pressure! Some of the new events in skiing are quite good....great tricks! Every time I see the moguls I think that has to be painful.....can you say - knee replacement! I've actually tried 4 man bobsled as a passenger a few times and they are moving down the track!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

Bummed about Shaun White not medaling. But he'll survive. 8)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Styles Bitchley

#8 Post by Styles Bitchley »

J.J. Walters wrote:Bummed about Shaun White not medaling. But he'll survive. 8)
Yeah, that was weird, eh? At least it opened things up for my adoptive country of Switzerland to get a gold in something unexpected.

Canadian women beat the US yesterday, but it looks like a good match up as usual. Hoping for the best with the men, but as things go with US and Canada Olympic teams, the chemistry can sometimes be lacking, given that none of them typically play on the same team. European countries have more experience playing together. I think it would be nice to see Russia do well. Reminds me of my childhood when the Soviets were actually a great team. Since then though...meh.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by KENJI »

Hey Styles,

Congrats on the other gold that the Swiss won in women's alpine downhill! I can't believe it ended in a dead heat for the very first time in Olympic history so two gold medals were awarded, that's pretty special.

Men's hockey no surprises so far.....the Russians and Americans destroyed their opponents and Canada also won, but that game was much closer.

I think one of the best stories so far comes from the Canadian speed skating team where one of the skaters crashed and was out of the competition, but his teammate gave up his spot so he could race again. He ended up with a silver medal!!!! I hope they let this guy carry the flag in the closing.
http://www.ctvnews.ca/sochi/it-s-a-drea ... -1.1682556

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by KENJI »

The U.S. vs. Russia hockey game was incredible!
That would've been a great gold medal final.....Putin is saying he wants Russia and Canada playing it out for the gold.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#11 Post by Doc Ibold »

KENJI wrote:The U.S. vs. Russia hockey game was incredible!
That would've been a great gold medal final.....Putin is saying he wants Russia and Canada playing it out for the gold.
Of course he does... Of course he does. I support all the athletes, but I haven't been watching as much as I usually do due to the joke of a venue.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Steve »

Anybody catch the slopestyle skiing Thursday. Amazing stunts that those of us boomers that started freestyle skiing in the late 60's and 70's could never imagine a human could perform on skis. Heck I remember those freestyle (we called it hot dog skiing back then) pioneers like Wayne Wong, Suzy Chaffee, Billy Kidd, etc were all trying to just perfect a moebius flip which was a simple back flip with a 360 degree turn.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by KENJI »

Hi Steve....sure did......crazy and incredible at the same time! Great to see some new events this year!

Styles Bitchley

#14 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Steve wrote:Anybody catch the slopestyle skiing Thursday. Amazing stunts that those of us boomers that started freestyle skiing in the late 60's and 70's could never imagine a human could perform on skis. Heck I remember those freestyle (we called it hot dog skiing back then) pioneers like Wayne Wong, Suzy Chaffee, Billy Kidd, etc were all trying to just perfect a moebius flip which was a simple back flip with a 360 degree turn.
I still love that old hot dogger style. Something way more gritty and realistic about it -even with the now defunct "ballet" event! Still love the old 80s movie Hot Dog...The Movie.

I agree though, what the kids are doing these days is light years ahead.

Canada made it through their battle with Finland last night. Onward and upward. Would like to see a Canada-US final, but I don't thing the brackets will work out that way.

- J.Q.H.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by KENJI »

I think Putin is still steaming after their loss to Finland in hockey.....love it. :lol:
USA has the momentum and has great chance against the Canadians.
Hey Styles....congrats on the bronze in women's hockey! That is the first time the Swiss have won a medal in women's hockey - excellent.