George Clooney/The Descendants...

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by Frodoleader »

Just saw it this past weekend. Outstanding film with outstanding music. My family immediately recognized the MPI locations used in this movie. Kinda fun.
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

PhatCat
Admiral

#17 Post by PhatCat »

Finally got this movie from Netflix last weekend and watched it. I thought it was pretty good. Loved seeing locations I recognized from MPI.

Clooney is one of my favorite actors and his performance was good in this role.

Definitely more about him coming to terms with not being there for his wife (was it really her fault for straying or did Matt drive her to the other man?)

Some of the language was bugging me. If my kids had that foul of mouths...

Overall, what grabbed me most about the film was the scenery, then the music, acting, storyline.

I liked the movie but only "loved" certain aspects of it. Worth watching for sure. Don't think I need to own it, however.

BR

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Braddah Kimo »

The kids' language and how they related in a fairly disrespectful manner to Dad was not at all indicative of locals. More like some fob mainland haole family. Don't know why they felt a need to do that.

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Frodoleader »

Okay Braddah Kimo, I'm a dope: what does FOB stand for? You can PM me if need to.
Thanks!

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Fresh off da boat.
a mainland haole family here for... say a decade or more would have become a little less angst ridden, disrespectful and mellower. Just by immersion or at least by shame. Local friends and parents would set the young punks straight. NO one talks that way to kupuna here. Or at least never did back in my day. 60s 70's. Not until the big influx of late. locals still don't and hope they never do. But mainland ways infiltrate and change local culture.

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Frodoleader »

Braddah Kimo wrote:Fresh off da boat.
a mainland haole family here for... say a decade or more would have become a little less angst ridden, disrespectful and mellower. Just by immersion or at least by shame. Local friends and parents would set the young punks straight. NO one talks that way to kupuna here. Or at least never did back in my day. 60s 70's. Not until the big influx of late. locals still don't and hope they never do. But mainland ways infiltrate and change local culture.
Got it!
Mahalo