George Clooney/The Descendants...

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

George Clooney/The Descendants...

#1 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Not only was George considered as the lead in a new Magnum movie (I think that was the buzz) but this new film, really fun to watch... features some Magnum-esque touches. They stop at the Elk's club for a bite, (King Kamehameha Club) and the home Matt King and family live at is situated right across the street from the Clarence Cooke Estate, (Marks estate). (King Kamehameha Club also) Anyway I thought that was kinda cool...

StarchedUndershirts
Admiral

#2 Post by StarchedUndershirts »

I saw a trailer for that movie the other night. It looks pretty cool! :)

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Sam »

Pics from Rubberchickens guide.

Youtube movie trailer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-I7CtU_OAY

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Braddah Kimo »

cool pics. that place was used well, more than I thought.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Sam »

It was also used in at least one HFO.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Danno »

The soundtrack is excellent if you like chilled Hawaiian music. Listening to it right now. :wink:
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Braddah Kimo »

The film for many of us here in Hawai'i is well received. Personally I loved it. George is a great actor, fun to watch. This film is about one of my neighborhoods. Nu'uanu. And of course, our Oahu. Scenes shot at the Elk's club... stuff like that, made it fun. The soundtrack was well chosen. Good pieces by Gabby. No cliche tourist stuff as we often get forcefed. (Such as bruddah Iz's overexposed haole stuff.) His take on paradise was well done. And the movie's pace and editing was perfect. Something many of us will watch often. Only gripes I have, some local haole nerd had a new cheap resin hula wiggler on his dash. That's so tacky. Least the prop department could have done is to secure an old vintage style one. Also George/Matt pronounces some words like an FOB haole. Not as a local. Not good. And the daughter identifies Speer's home as "the one with the turtle". Not very many kama'aina at all would say turtle. Here it is known as 'honu'. But aside from those manini things, it is a good flick and deserves more than the overly judgmental eye it seems to be getting on IMDB.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Danno »

Braddah Kimo wrote:The film for many of us here in Hawai'i is well received. Personally I loved it. George is a great actor, fun to watch. This film is about one of my neighborhoods. Nu'uanu. And of course, our Oahu. Scenes shot at the Elk's club... stuff like that, made it fun. The soundtrack was well chosen. Good pieces by Gabby. No cliche tourist stuff as we often get forcefed. (Such as bruddah Iz's overexposed haole stuff.) His take on paradise was well done. And the movie's pace and editing was perfect. Something many of us will watch often. Only gripes I have, some local haole nerd had a new cheap resin hula wiggler on his dash. That's so tacky. Least the prop department could have done is to secure an old vintage style one. Also George/Matt pronounces some words like an FOB haole. Not as a local. Not good. And the daughter identifies Speer's home as "the one with the turtle". Not very many kama'aina at all would say turtle. Here it is known as 'honu'. But aside from those manini things, it is a good flick and deserves more than the overly judgmental eye it seems to be getting on IMDB.
I love these sorts of details, Kimo. I'm only beginning to explore the world of Hawaiian music- having started off with the most obvious stuff like Iz. So Gabby Pahinui is who you're talking about? I'll see if I can find more of his stuff here in Australia... I also dig Sonny Chillingworth.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Hawaiian music spans the centuries of course. There are 'oli from the Bishop museum. Chants and song for the hula kahiko. Old hula. Then the e is the early 20's to 40's era. Check cord international's listings on amazon. or their web site. Then we have the contemporary Hawaiian renaissance. C&K. Pops Pahinui. Sunday manoa. (Guava jam da bestest.) Kalapana. Country Comfort. Da braddahs Caz. Keola and Kapono Beamer. Melveen Leed. Don Stroud (nah. joke.)
Olomana.
Dennis Pavao.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_vQX7pX7Dg
Moe Keale
Sons of Ni'ihau
Sons of Hawai'i and Eddie Kamae
li'dat.

Mark R.Y.
Captain

#10 Post by Mark R.Y. »

Braddah Kimo wrote:His take on paradise was well done.
Was anyone else reminded of Magnum the way the film opened with an offscreen narrator musing on the notions of paradise? (Although I don't think TM ever said "paradise can go f itself." :wink: )

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Braddah Kimo »

V/o was appropriate and probably the only thing that
would work in this scenario to move the story along. In mpi, it was a gimmick and a trademark. Imagine the eps without it. They would still work.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#12 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I wasn't reminded of Magnum by the voice over, but if I watch it again I'd probably be thinking of it. I found Magnum's to be more of a nod to the film noir detective genre - although completely different in style and tone. Clooney's was more of a film scene setting. Both work pretty well at striking a bond between the audience and the main character.

Great movie by the way. It's strange how such a sad storyline can avoid being a depressing movie. I'm still not sure what it is exactly, but I think the music has a lot to do with it. Soundtrack is great.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Braddah Kimo »

"strange how such a sad storyline can avoid being a depressing movie" interesting. I do believe it may be slightly related to the fact in Polynesia, the passing of a loved one to the other side is not a dark clothes, somber depressing mournful event. It is a celebration of that person's life and, well, in Hawai'i as across Polynesia, we all party!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#14 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Danno wrote:The soundtrack is excellent if you like chilled Hawaiian music. Listening to it right now. :wink:
Got it. Love it.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Braddah Kimo »