Stranded in CA for the weekend.

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

Stranded in CA for the weekend.

#1 Post by N1095A »

Came here Friday, now I can't get a load out until Monday at the earliest. I'm not even in an interesting part of CA, I'm in Santa Clara. I'm told I'm only about 30 miles from the beach at Santa Cruz, but I googled it, and it's a really tiny beach. Anyone here a local with any suggestions?
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Sam »

Hi Mike,

I don't much about Northern Ca.The only thing I know of the area is that crazy Winchester House in San Jose.

Good luck getting a load tomorrow.
http://www.winchestermysteryhouse.com/explore.cfm

N1095A

#3 Post by N1095A »

Thanks Sam. Not far from San Jose.
Doing laundry now. As much out of necessity as for something to do.
About 10 police cars were just here. Seems someone in one of the rooms beat the crap outa someone else. Word of advise, no matter where you're staying, avoid Motel 6. They always attract the worst crowd. :wink:
By the way, 3 or 4 trips to or through Minnesota now, and still nowhere near you so we can have that Coops.

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

I never had any problems with Motel 6. Actually quite like the one in San Francisco as it has free parking, which is rare in SF.

Hearst Castle is amazing, but it's 200 miles from San Jose... depends on how far you can/want to drive.

N1095A

#5 Post by N1095A »

Visiting Stewardess wrote:I never had any problems with Motel 6. Actually quite like the one in San Francisco as it has free parking, which is rare in SF.

Hearst Castle is amazing, but it's 200 miles from San Jose... depends on how far you can/want to drive.
Motel 6s are hit or miss. Mostly in my experience it's been miss. I prefer Super 8s. They're about the same price but much much nicer. There weren't any close-by though, and suprisingly there were very few with any kind of truck parking.

200 miles is a little out of my range considering I don't know which way I'll need to go to get a load (hopefully) Monday.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#6 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I've got family in San Jose. Pretty boring from a tourism perspective. The tech museum isn't bad...especially the background of silicon valley and development of the tech industry there.

I think it would be interesting to drive up to the Apple store in Palo Alto to see all the condolence notes posted for Steve Jobs (if they're still there). Bit of an interesting time in history.

http://bit.ly/rldD4U
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

N1095A wrote: Motel 6s are hit or miss. Mostly in my experience it's been miss. I prefer Super 8s. They're about the same price but much much nicer.
They probably are. Our first room in SF was overlooking some biker spot and there was a bullet hole in the window. We asked for another room and got it.
The free parking was great though. If you stay there 4 nights it's worth it, because most places in SF charge around $30 per day.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Steve »

Visiting Stewardess wrote:
N1095A wrote: Motel 6s are hit or miss. Mostly in my experience it's been miss. I prefer Super 8s. They're about the same price but much much nicer.
They probably are. Our first room in SF was overlooking some biker spot and there was a bullet hole in the window. We asked for another room and got it.
The free parking was great though. If you stay there 4 nights it's worth it, because most places in SF charge around $30 per day.
Hey, when I was up in Sturgis last month for the rally my Ramada in Rapid City was chock full of the M/C club The Bandido's. Even the Motel 6 and Super 8 right behind us wouldn't let them stay. I will say this, they could not have been more well behaved.............