Seeking info from anyone who lives in Hawaii.

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

Seeking info from anyone who lives in Hawaii.

#1 Post by The Birdman »

I've always been a big fan of Magnum PI. I moved from California to Oregon about 10 years ago. Watching re-runs of magnum helped me through a few dank winters here, untill they quit running them :roll: I have been thinking about moving to hawaii lately, I'd like to live somewhere warm. I've posted in another website forum and got nothing but horrible stories about hawaii. Huge drug problem, no jobs, locals will rob and kill white people, ect. I can't believe it is that bad. :( It's already pretty bad where I live now. I was only in hawaii a couple times when I was in the Coast Guard, I basically just saw the tourist are around pearl harbour and drove through some industrial stuff IIRC between sand island and pearl harbour. I look on the internet and real estate seems cheaper there than in Oregon. Seems crazy to me since everyone say how expensive it is.
So I just want input about living ANYWHERE in hawaii, any island. The big island looks the cheapest.

Brian
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Brian »

I'm going to be moving out there next summer, yeah meth is a big problem in Hawaii. I have had some very good leads on jobs out there but haven't committed to anything yet. I'm not really worried about crime, its everywhere people are. For some reason almost everyone thinks you have to be a millionaire to live there. Hawaii has poor people too.
Sneakers Higgins!!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Sam »

Hi Birdman,

Here is a good site for your Hawaiian questions.Seems to be fairly active and helpful.Good luck.

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/index.php

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#4 Post by The Birdman »

Brian wrote:I'm going to be moving out there next summer, yeah meth is a big problem in Hawaii. I have had some very good leads on jobs out there but haven't committed to anything yet. I'm not really worried about crime, its everywhere people are. For some reason almost everyone thinks you have to be a millionaire to live there. Hawaii has poor people too.
What island? If you don't mind me asking; what kinda jobs are you looking for and getting offers?

Brian
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Brian »

What island? If you don't mind me asking; what kinda jobs are you looking for and getting offers?[/quote]

I'm haven't decided on a location yet, It depends on the job I go with. I'm in Video and Film production, special fx, editing, video and film transfer, and animation. I have lots of options :)
Sneakers Higgins!!

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#6 Post by The Birdman »

Interesting. I'd imagine in the tourist areas there'd be a lot of wedding video work and stuff. A guy I kinda know went over there in June to spend 6 months training in MMA fighting I think. He said there were lots of delivery driver jobs around Kona supposedly. I was a courier but I think I lost that job, I've been out sick for 4 months :roll:
I'll probably never move over, but it's fun to think about. I've never lived anywhere for more than 10 years and I've been in Oregon 10 years now, so time to go. :D

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#7 Post by The Birdman »

Sam wrote:Hi Birdman,

Here is a good site for your Hawaiian questions.Seems to be fairly active and helpful.Good luck.

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/index.php
I went there and signed up the day you posted. I still can't post because it said I had to e mail the staff and introduce my self, wich I did and I still have never heard back. That site seems kinda dead. :cry:

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Hawai'i has reached its maximum capacity and the local government has issued a moratorium on incoming resident status seeking humans looking to take root here that want to stay in a manner of semi permanent or more, that want to live here. No mo' room, it seems!

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#9 Post by The Birdman »

Braddah Kimo wrote:Hawai'i has reached its maximum capacity and the local government has issued a moratorium on incoming resident status seeking humans looking to take root here that want to stay in a manner of semi permanent or more, that want to live here. No mo' room, it seems!
???? :roll: I always thought there was not very much land in hawaii, but as I look at real estate I'm shocked that I can buy land at 1/3 the price of land over here in Oregon. The land is pretty rural also. Funny, I always thought I couldn't afford to live there, now I may move there cause it's cheaper :?
Funny how here in Oregon a old house in town cost $200K, a 1975 mobile home on 2 acres, 40 miles from town cost $285K and the best jobs pay $10 an hour.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Braddah Kimo »

"now I may move there cause it's cheaper" That is not just funny, that is hilarious!

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#11 Post by The Birdman »

Braddah Kimo wrote:"now I may move there cause it's cheaper" That is not just funny, that is hilarious!
People keep useing gasoline and milk as examples of how expensive it is in hawaii. Milk cost almost $5 a gallon here and gas has been $4/gallon untill last week, it went down a little. They say Oregon has passed hawaii and New Jersey as the most expensive state to live. :evil:

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#12 Post by Pahonu »

The Birdman wrote:
Braddah Kimo wrote:"now I may move there cause it's cheaper" That is not just funny, that is hilarious!
People keep useing gasoline and milk as examples of how expensive it is in hawaii. Milk cost almost $5 a gallon here and gas has been $4/gallon untill last week, it went down a little. They say Oregon has passed hawaii and New Jersey as the most expensive state to live. :evil:
Birdman,

Check out this link and punch in the numbers. It's pretty interesting stuff. By the way, doesn't Oregon lack a sales tax? That would go a long way to keeping prices down.

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofli ... iving.html

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#13 Post by The Birdman »

Pahonu wrote:
The Birdman wrote:
Birdman,

Check out this link and punch in the numbers. It's pretty interesting stuff. By the way, doesn't Oregon lack a sales tax? That would go a long way to keeping prices down.

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofli ... iving.html
I see you're from CA. That's where I'm from.... and everyone else in Oregon now, it seems. While there isn't a sales tax (YET) our property taxs are TOTALLY differant here. On a house in town valued at like $100K prop tax is about $2000. Actually more than we paid on a house in Orange county CA in a gated community. UGH! We own rentals and we end up paying 6 months of rent money to the county and I am told this county has LOW taxs. Some counties charge 11% tax!!!!!!!

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#14 Post by The Birdman »

If you move from Eugene, OR to Honolulu, HI....
Groceries will cost: 71%more
Housing will cost: 88%more
Utilities will cost: 72%more
Transportation will cost: 15%more
Healthcare will cost: 1%more
For one the ONLY city in hawaii on that link is Honolulu, wich I know is expensive. I don't believe any of these things anyways. Housing for example, I've found a shit load of cheap property and houses on the big island, I estimate 1/3 the cost of real estate here. I have checked property taxs and it was cheap compared to here. A lot of them are off grid, so utilities? NOT!
Again milk is as expensive here and Oregon has the 2nd highest gasoline in the US, yes Hi is #1, but only a few cents.

I think people in hawaii see the high prices and think it's just them. I know tires even have gone up 150% in the last year. I bought 2 tires for my truck last year at $100, went back to the same store a few weeks ago, $250 each for the SAME tire! :cry:

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Braddah Kimo »

There are incredible deals on Moku Nui (Hawaii Island) Saw a three bedroom REO available at 60k. All it needed was appliances. brand new home. But it was in Volcano, just a 45 munite drive from Hilo. Which of course would be pricey. Kona is expensive. No matter aht you see, tho' come here and check the deal first before assuming it really is a deal if its in the middle of a desirable town.
"I think people in hawaii see the high prices and think it's just them"
no. We don't. we know we are not alone and others are not immune to it. however we know the causes and are daily hurt by the effects and very much dislike the multitudinous reasons for the high cost of living we have here which are wholly different than other states.