Seeking info from anyone who lives in Hawaii.

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#16 Post by Pahonu »

The Birdman wrote:If you move from Eugene, OR to Honolulu, HI....
Groceries will cost: 71%more
Housing will cost: 88%more
Utilities will cost: 72%more
Transportation will cost: 15%more
Healthcare will cost: 1%more
For one the ONLY city in hawaii on that link is Honolulu, wich I know is expensive. I don't believe any of these things anyways. Housing for example, I've found a shit load of cheap property and houses on the big island, I estimate 1/3 the cost of real estate here. I have checked property taxs and it was cheap compared to here. A lot of them are off grid, so utilities? NOT!
Again milk is as expensive here and Oregon has the 2nd highest gasoline in the US, yes Hi is #1, but only a few cents.

I think people in hawaii see the high prices and think it's just them. I know tires even have gone up 150% in the last year. I bought 2 tires for my truck last year at $100, went back to the same store a few weeks ago, $250 each for the SAME tire! :cry:
This kind of data is very general but accurate on the whole. At least more accurate than anecdotal evidence. A friend of mine in Hawaii-Kai just texted me that milk is over $7.00 a gallon right now and gas is $4.25-$4.50. Of course there's going to be a range, but we're talking averages here.

They only list metropolitan areas because thats where the jobs are. The majority of people are probably not interested in housing prices, etc... in remote places. From what I understand 80%+ of the people in the islands live on Oahu because that's where the jobs are. You can find dirt (sand :D ) cheap property in the deserts here in Socal, but good luck finding work anywhere nearby. That's why we have people commuting 50+ miles one way! I'll pass on that.

And how do you commute from cheap property on the big island to Oahu for your job? :wink:

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Braddah Kimo »

"A friend of mine in Hawaii-Kai just texted me that milk is over $7.00 a gallon right now and gas is $4.25-$4.50." I live Hawaii kai. And across the board, gas lately has come down and is hovering around 3.96 per. ( I rarely buy 92 octane) and milk is habitually 4.99 per gallon. It drops a dime, then is raised a dime then stays a while at just under 5. This is at Safeway, Costco and the dearly departed Foodland which Walgreens (the devil) is supplanting. However, I appreciate your Hi-kai friend for doing her/his part!

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#18 Post by The Birdman »

After reading Braddah Kimos post today, I really don't think I want to move to hawaii now. Not because of cost, but because of the hatred. I was born in OC (southern cali) CA, then I moved to Paso Robles (central ca) CA, everywhere I went it was "where are you from" "They're from LA", people hated us for being from southern california, after 10 years I was accepted as a local. Then my mom wants to move to Oregon. STUPID! I've lived here 10 years and I still get the "you ain't from 'round here, are you BOY?" comments. Life is to short to move somewhere where people hate me.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Sam »

Hey Birdman..I don't know what your problem is but this is the second post today that I had to clean up your language..That's enough.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Braddah Kimo »

"By the way, doesn't Oregon lack a sales tax?" wanna talk tax? Here in
"paradise", each and every thing is taxed, each and every time it passes thru hands. On each transaction! From manufacturer/ importer. Shipping. dock, warehouse. brokers. wholesalers, retailers. by the time it gets to us in our home, we expect it to be gold plated, with the cost we pay!

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#22 Post by The Birdman »

Sam wrote:Hey Birdman..I don't know what your problem is but this is the second post today that I had to clean up your language..That's enough.
Sorry. You're a moderator? I don't post here much. Where I do hang out profanity is fine. I'm just in a bad mood I guess. Woke up and get an e mail notification and check to see braddah kimos post about keeping people out of hawaii. It sounds like hate speach to me. :cry:
Bad day.
Sorry.
BTW. send me a PM if you want to worn me after the first idcident. I just looked and I didn't have any PMs.

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#23 Post by The Birdman »

Yep. My mothers family lived here a long time, I saw a picture of my uncle on the front page of a news paper in '78 wearing an "Oregon Border Patrol" hat, obviously there is not a real government agency called that. They were just vigilantes. The town I live in still has a crew called the "(my citys name) vigilantes for justice". Some real backwoods stuff going on here. The kicker is they actually hold meetings IN THE POLICE STATION!

Man, why is this thread on fire today? :roll: lol. I posted it like a few months ago.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Bird, I do no hate speech. My post was a very mild 'cautionary tale' version of what others may see on other sites if/when the subject turns to more moving to Hawai'i. I mean, I myself, would want to know what reaction I may receive upon landing in another country, before... I go through the time energy and expense of moving there. The total dissarrangement of one's life is not worth being ill prepared. Those wishing to move to paradise (which it no longer is, by the way. Don't believe the tourist bureau) should really want things not sugarcoated upon saying 'I wanna go and stay!'.
(And don't be deceived; This IS another country, though it IS a state of the union. But remains a wholly other country.)

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#25 Post by The Birdman »

Braddah Kimo wrote:Bird, I do no hate speech. My post was a very mild 'cautionary tale' version of what others may see on other sites if/when the subject turns to more moving to Hawai'i. I mean, I myself, would want to know what reaction I may receive upon landing in another country, before... I go through the time energy and expense of moving there. The total dissarrangement of one's life is not worth being ill prepared. Those wishing to move to paradise (which it no longer is, by the way. Don't believe the tourist bureau) should really want things not sugarcoated upon saying 'I wanna go and stay!'.
(And don't be deceived; This IS another country, though it IS a state of the union. But remains a wholly other country.)
I already realized they hate outsiders over there, so point taken. I'm NOT moving over there!

We can close this thread now.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Braddah Kimo »

close a thread that's on fire? This is the stuff forums are made of. educational, entertaining posts. Some firey, some not. But all part of the content for an active chat board.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Not hate, Bird. maybe a dislike. A preference for other. a bit of distaste for. an aversion of. an objection to. a resentment towards. a revulsion. a detesyation. an indisposition. a disapproval. a rancorous resentment. a disfavor. But noooo, never a hatered.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Sam »

Hey Kimo,

Are you still doing the TikiTv?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwSHvyDr ... ature=plcp

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Braddah Kimo »

a vid a month. that's the requirement.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Sam »

OK..I was wondering about MPI filming location..I sent you a PM.