Keeping fit...

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#46 Post by Seaver41 »

AmandaByNight wrote:
Styles Bitchley wrote:
Dan wrote:I saw in the news this morning that a 100 year old Canadian just ran one: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/s ... on321.html
Yeah, I saw that in the Canadian news. I think he just came to Toronto for the marathon though. I think he lives in the UK. I love his nick name: The Turbaned Tornado." Ironically, a 27 year old collapsed and died during the same race.

I was just "friended" by someone on facebook who I haven't been in touch with in 20 years or so. I'm amazed that her entire life seems to be defined by doing triathlons...at least that's how it seems on facebook. Only talking about the last race, the upcoming race, the training, the new bike, etc. I guess it's good to have something your passionate about, but I have way too many interests for such focus.

Besides, for the most part my athletic interests are purely motivated by vanity. Whatever keeps the beer belly at bay! :wink:
lol! My facebook updates are filled with my workouts. It keeps me motivated because I am proud of myself for doing it! Sometimes exercise is a chore so I need a little push, which is that I feel bad if I don't have an update!

I also am crazy about my grades, since I am a returning student. So my FB page probably looks pretty lame, with workouts and homework! Too much "work" in there! :)
I know a guy that is heavy into crossfit.....and his online presence is dominated by his workout regimen and event schedule..................makes for a snoozer of a read :P

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Haha, I only post my training results on FB if they are good... But I also don't want to bore people with too much training information.

@ Dan: I run about 50km/30mi a week 6-3 weeks before a marathon. The 2 weeks before I do a half in one day and then do a few more short runs (1.5 hours). I don't run at all for the last 4 or 5 days before a marathon.

The Disney one sounds good. I want the Goofy Medal! :lol:

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by AmandaByNight »

Seaver41 wrote:
AmandaByNight wrote:
Styles Bitchley wrote:
Dan wrote:I saw in the news this morning that a 100 year old Canadian just ran one: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/s ... on321.html
Yeah, I saw that in the Canadian news. I think he just came to Toronto for the marathon though. I think he lives in the UK. I love his nick name: The Turbaned Tornado." Ironically, a 27 year old collapsed and died during the same race.

I was just "friended" by someone on facebook who I haven't been in touch with in 20 years or so. I'm amazed that her entire life seems to be defined by doing triathlons...at least that's how it seems on facebook. Only talking about the last race, the upcoming race, the training, the new bike, etc. I guess it's good to have something your passionate about, but I have way too many interests for such focus.

Besides, for the most part my athletic interests are purely motivated by vanity. Whatever keeps the beer belly at bay! :wink:
lol! My facebook updates are filled with my workouts. It keeps me motivated because I am proud of myself for doing it! Sometimes exercise is a chore so I need a little push, which is that I feel bad if I don't have an update!

I also am crazy about my grades, since I am a returning student. So my FB page probably looks pretty lame, with workouts and homework! Too much "work" in there! :)
I know a guy that is heavy into crossfit.....and his online presence is dominated by his workout regimen and event schedule..................makes for a snoozer of a read :P
I'm sure it does, but I get a surprisingly good reaction from people. And I have two friends who have recently lost over 100 lbs each and they do the same thing. It's kind of inspiring. One of my FB friends even said she started to workout because of my posts..

There's another girl I know who is doing a FB competition with one of her friends where they are attempting to see who loses 80 lbs first. They have teams with pages... Sometimes getting that "like" feature on a workout makes you feel accomplished!

I just got a hula hoop too, so at least now the updates have a retro-feel! :)

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

That's true. A number of "likes" makes you feel good about your workout.

miami
Ensign

#50 Post by miami »

I Swim. I took up the U.k swimathon Challenge and raised money for the Marie Curie trust. I Swam 1.5k in 1 hour 19mins. Its not a world record. Im still working on my Tennis game and Ive still not joined the boxing club..Why?

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Wow! 1.5 km is quite a lot to swim. Congratulations! I always shake my head at these mad men (and women) who attempt to swim the English Channel....