Keeping fit...

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

Keeping fit...

#1 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Is anyone here doing any extreme sports? Has anyone done a Hawaiian Iron Man?

I just run a Marathon on Sunday and have thought about these people who do an Iron Man.... How is that possible? Was was COMPLETELY exhausted after the marathon, and when I cycled home afterwards, I was so slow, I had to be careful to keep my balance.
How can people swim, cycle AND run these distances????

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

I would collapse and die before I finished half of a marathon. I'm not in bad shape, but I spent too many years smoking cigarettes.

I play basketball twice a week and occasionally play tennis and racquetball. In the summer I swim and "stunt dive" (i.e. look like an idiot) at the pool, in the winter I go crazy in the basement with Wii Fit and Wii Dance Dance Revolution. That's about as "extreme" as I get. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Well, I did collapse briefly after the marathon.... :cry:
But that was because I sprinted the last few hundred yards to reach my target time.
I'd love to get a Wii. Friends of mine have one, and it's great fun.

Jake
Rear Admiral

#4 Post by Jake »

I watched a TV show the other day and during the episode a lady ran in a marathon....that is the closest I'll get! I probably burned a few calories mowing my lawn tonight, does that count for anything???

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

That counts, if you were training for the next Extreme-Mowing-Event! :lol:

I once read about this extreme ironing... man - how do people get ideas like that? Just put "extreme ironing" in the google picture search and you get the craziest pictures!!!

I noticed Tom Selleck is crawling through the tidal pool a lot in Magnum opening scenes. I wonder if they used the same bit of film over and over again or if he really swam a lot in those days! Funny, you never see him do any sports outside the estate.... with his build he must be doing a lot more than crawl through the pool once and jog up to the house.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#6 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I run a few times a week. Normal leisure stuff also, biking, skiing, etc. I really can't get motivated to train for a marathon. I think I just don't care enough about it. I've heard that unless you keep your training at a relatively high level over the years, training for a marathon is actually bad for your health. The ups and downs if you ease back on your training then ramp it up again. I'm not a doctor, but it makes sense to me. Everything in moderation!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#7 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I exersize to keep in shape (other than round). I can't imagine doing an iron man. Endurance sports aren't for me as I am a bigger guy.

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by AmandaByNight »

I run a few miles a week, plus I switch it up with the elliptical and I also do a little bit of strength training. I do it just to stay healthy and it's great for depression, which I deal with. The idea of a marathon sounds daunting.

For extreme sports, the closest I got was doing a Shark Cage in Hawaii a few years ago. Probably the coolest thing I have done and will ever do in my life.

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

A shark cage!!!! Wow. That's for strong nerves! I don't think I could do that!

On Sunday I was sure that I'd never run another marathon again.
Today I am not so sure anymore. I just got the press release that the application period for the next Marathon here starts on 20th October...
Maybe... just maybe....

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by AmandaByNight »

Visiting Stewardess wrote:A shark cage!!!! Wow. That's for strong nerves! I don't think I could do that!

On Sunday I was sure that I'd never run another marathon again.
Today I am not so sure anymore. I just got the press release that the application period for the next Marathon here starts on 20th October...
Maybe... just maybe....
Trust me, it's not that scary once you are there. I was so nervous on the boat trip but couldn't wait to get in the cage when I saw the sharks... I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but they are my favorite creatures, so I just forgot everything and went for it. I was only 5 minutes shy of breaking the record for being out the longest (approximately an hour), but my husband was getting seasick...

I have a friend who runs several marathons. I don't know how you guys do it...

Brian
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Brian »

I play Tennis, Swim, Jog, and Bike. I would love to do a Iron Man someday. My Dad did Marathons back in the 80's when he was about my age now. unfortunately I don't have the free time to train for a Iron Man.

Has anyone ever seen the "410 Pound Fat Guy Wants to Be Magnum" guy who is trying to loose weight and enter a Iron Man? He's looks alot like a younger T.S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z76Kc-36yig
Sneakers Higgins!!

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

There are a couple of these body "transformations" on YouTube (I came across some while looking for something completely unrelated) and I don't think they are real. Some of them look completely fake.
An Iron Man is totally unthinkable for me. Maybe one of those short triathlons. But I am scared of going fast on the bike, that's a bit of a draw back.

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#13 Post by The Birdman »

It's funny that I found this. I've had ups and downs in my life, I was always fat as a kid, then I decided to join the Coast Guard. They refused me the first time because I was to fat, so I lost 50 pounds and then joined. In Basic training I was actually the fastest runner, I don't even know how? I must have had more muscle from lugging all that fat around? Anyways, after I got out of the CG I got up to 300#, then when doctors said I was near death from drinking and smoking, I joined a gym and ended up getting into bodybuilding, I went from 300 to a ripped 195. Now I've slipped again and got upto 235, then broke my ankle and got up to 250 and I told my dad the other day that I'm the kinda guy that needs goals and I said "I need to do an ironman!" I figure even if I fail, it'd be an honour just to go to hawaii and participate. Back when I was in bodybuilding I toyed with going to Japan to compete in Ninja Warrior. Since most people fail in the first stage the bar is pretty low. :D Anyways, my ankle is just healed, so I figure I could start training in a few months, it'll mostly depend on wether my job, if I still have one, will allow me to go. For me it is just having the goal for like 1 or 2 years that will help me get fit, I know I can do it, I've done it before.

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#14 Post by The Birdman »

Brian wrote:I play Tennis, Swim, Jog, and Bike. I would love to do a Iron Man someday. My Dad did Marathons back in the 80's when he was about my age now. unfortunately I don't have the free time to train for a Iron Man.

Has anyone ever seen the "410 Pound Fat Guy Wants to Be Magnum" guy who is trying to loose weight and enter a Iron Man? He's looks alot like a younger T.S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z76Kc-36yig
Hmmm. He said he was supposed to be finnished by sep 11 2011 and appears to have never posted a final video. Did he give up?

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Wow, that's a lot of up and down! I have had some up and down too, but in a completely different league. 127 was my highest (at 5'3") and 103 my lowest.
Why did you leave the CG (if you don't mind me asking! if it's too personal, you don't have to answer this), seems to be a fantastic opportunity to get paid to keep fit...
The Birdman wrote: For me it is just having the goal for like 1 or 2 years that will help me get fit, I know I can do it, I've done it before.
Way to go! That is the only reason I run marathons. Just to prove to myself that I can do it.