Japan earthquake - Tsunami

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Japan earthquake - Tsunami

#1 Post by ConchRepublican »

Sending out prayers and well wishes to Japan after this morning's (their afternoon's) earthquake.

I heard the tsunami hit Hawai'i, flooding Waikiki Beach and cresting over the flood walls, but didn't reach the hotels.

Any confirms?
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by KENJI »

I've heard from the news that 6ft. waves hit Hawaii, hoping the Anderson Estate has no damage!!!!!! Watching the waves go over the beautiful farm land in Japan and basically erasing it, shows the power of mother nature - incredible but extremely sad at the same time!

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

#3 Post by Lt Tanaka »

It was insane. The biggest quake ever to hit here. We are lucky in Tokyo. Building technology is the worlds best. Still extremely scary. I did think it was the end at one point. The 33 foot high wave 20 miles across with burning houses and boats on top sweeping across Sendai live on tv was one of the most horrifying things I've ever seen.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Danno »

My heart goes out to everyone in Japan. We have had some of our best holidays (including our honeymoon) in Japan and love the place. Watching it yesterday afternoon on the news was horrifying. I can't imagine what it must have been like to be there. We hope you stay safe, Lt Tanaka.

The Anderson Estate is unlikely to have seen much being on the eastern side of Oahu- Waikiki saw little more than a surge from what I've read. I think most of the damage was to to west.

Just heard a 6.1 quake hit Tonga a little while ago. What is happening in the Pacific at the moment?
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Lily »

Last year we experianced the tsunami warning while on Oahu and this year we were on Maui. Since we are in a beach condo, when the tsunami sirens went off, we grabbed passports, water, food and warmer clothing, then jumped in the car and headed to higher ground. We spent the night in the car, along with many others who did the same thing.

Waves here got to about six feet with some boats and a few houses damaged, so nominal.

My heart and prayers go out to the people of Japan as I can only imagine what they are going through.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#6 Post by ConchRepublican »

Glad to hear you're OK Tanaka.

What's going on over there is awful. It seems every time I check in, the news is even more horrible. :(

There's nothing that can be done for the poor people and villages that were swept away, I fear the final numbers of the lost will be stunning . . . and I pray that the reactors can be gotten under control. If they fully melt down, not to minimize in any way what has already occurred, this would be a catastrophe of epic proportions.

I'm considering holding a "Party with a Purpose" to try and raise money from my friends for disaster relief. Is there any reliable charity you'd recommend that can get help to people in the most direct way?

Be careful, you and Japan are in my prayers.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by AmandaByNight »

ConchRepublican wrote:Glad to hear you're OK Tanaka.

What's going on over there is awful. It seems every time I check in, the news is even more horrible. :(

There's nothing that can be done for the poor people and villages that were swept away, I fear the final numbers of the lost will be stunning . . . and I pray that the reactors can be gotten under control. If they fully melt down, not to minimize in any way what has already occurred, this would be a catastrophe of epic proportions.

I'm considering holding a "Party with a Purpose" to try and raise money from my friends for disaster relief. Is there any reliable charity you'd recommend that can get help to people in the most direct way?

I love the idea of a party to raise money. Bring a little light into the darkness and do a great deed in the process. Good luck. I always give my money to Red Cross, so that's the one I'd recommend, but I'm sure with a quick sweep of the net, you can find some great places to donate to.

I think the whole disaster is beyond my scope of imagination. I can't believe all the footage I've seen. Absolutely devastating. I keep checking on the news and praying for the best for everyone.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#8 Post by J.J. Walters »

My heart goes out to the people of Japan, the "Land of the Rising Sun".

Please, no meltdown! No meltdown!!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#9 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Truly an amazing country. Very sad to see the destruction. The economy has been in the dumps for a while now - this is like kicking someone when they're down. My deepest Zen thoughts and positive vibes are aimed toward the east...
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

#10 Post by Lt Tanaka »

ConchRepublican wrote:I'm considering holding a "Party with a Purpose" to try and raise money from my friends for disaster relief. Is there any reliable charity you'd recommend that can get help to people in the most direct way?

Thank you sincerely my friend. I really appreciate that. If you are in the US the American Red Cross will send all the money to Japan. I think it's the most convenient for you.

I'm putting sumo stuff for sale on ebay and sending all the money to the Japanese Red Cross. Link below for anyone who might be interested in bidding. I'll try and get some magnum stuff up too.

Thank you to everyone else for their comments.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHARITY-AUCTION-RAR ... 791wt_1139

Styles Bitchley

#11 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Sumo stuff! That's awesome!

Can't say I know what a tagata is, but it looks pretty cool. :wink:
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

#12 Post by Lt Tanaka »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Sumo stuff! That's awesome!

I don't know what a tagata is either :wink: but a tegata is a sumo wrestlers handprint and autograph.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Steve »

I'm glad you're okay as well, Lt. T..........The Japanese people are showing the world how to handle a terrible disaster and the workers at the Power Plants are beyond heroes as they wrestle with the ongoing problems. ....................

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#14 Post by nha trang »

God bless everyone in Japan,

I find myself rivited to the developments, but just watching the events, the videos, is like staring into a black hole, an unmitigated nightmare. Last time I felt that feeling, of despair and lack of control, was after being released from the hospital at age 26 not knowing what the future would hold for me. I prayed a lot then, and I'm still here, I'm keeping Japan in my prayers now.

Is giving to the red cross the best, I read that there are people without enough food...how can we get it there faster?

Styles Bitchley

#15 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Lt Tanaka wrote:
Styles Bitchley wrote:Sumo stuff! That's awesome!

I don't know what a tagata is either :wink: but a tegata is a sumo wrestlers handprint and autograph.
I love how sumo is such a massively popular thing in Japan, but nowhere else. I've heard the top guys are treated like royalty.

- J.Q.H.