Moving to Hawaii

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Kolchak
Lieutenant

Moving to Hawaii

#1 Post by Kolchak »

Hi guys,

Long time reader here and lifelong Magnum fan. I'm an Aussie and on Monday next week will be realising a dream- moving to Hawaii. I think it was Magnum that really stirred this ambition in me, although I do remember catching 5-0 with my dad when I was a little kid.

Fingers crossed for the move, I hope it works, but hey I've gotta try...

Will let you know how it goes.

HigginsIII
Lieutenant

#2 Post by HigginsIII »

I hope things go well for you !! This is a dream that I've had also due to Magnum. Keep us posted !!

Kolchak
Lieutenant

#3 Post by Kolchak »

Thanks Higgy baby, most kind of you. :)

I will certainly keep you posted and hope to be of help to others here thinking of doing the same. Things what to do and more likely what NOT to do, through my own trial and error.

I have been to Hawaii 3 times before and have swum in the tidal pool. The place casts a spell on you.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Little Garwood »

Kolchak wrote: Hi guys,

Long time reader here and lifelong Magnum fan. I'm an Aussie and on Monday next week will be realising a dream- moving to Hawaii. I think it was Magnum that really stirred this ambition in me, although I do remember catching 5-0 with my dad when I was a little kid.

Fingers crossed for the move, I hope it works, but hey I've gotta try...

Will let you know how it goes.
Sorry, Carl, but Vincenzo says he's sending Ron Updyke instead. :wink:

Seriously, best of luck to you!
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Kolchak
Lieutenant

#5 Post by Kolchak »

Updyke!!?? The man should be answering "Dear Emily" letters!

Little Garwood, man it's good to see another Night Stalker fan out there.

Thanks for the luck, I'll probably need it.

Hawaii84
Captain

#6 Post by Hawaii84 »

Kolchak,

Good luck on the move! The Night Stalker was one of my fav's as a kid.....inspiration for the X-Files. That lady vampire and the swamp monster scared me to death.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#7 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Sounds like you're living the dream, bro. As long as you don't idealize it too much before you get there, you should do alright!

It will be nice to have a Magnum Maniac in the islands in case we need some on the ground sleuthing!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Kolchak
Lieutenant

#8 Post by Kolchak »

Styles, you're right. I know that's the danger...putting it way up there so it can't possible live up to my expectations, so I'm trying to stay level headed about it and have a backup plan over here on the mainland just in case...
But am definitely happy to do some of that on the ground sleuthing.

As for The Night Stalker- it has always been my number 1 show, Magnum second and probably Columbo 3rd. Probably why I love "Mad Buck Gibson' so much.

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by MACattack »

Godd luck to you brother in your new life. I plan to move there with my family in 3 years!
I just don't give a damn!

Kolchak
Lieutenant

#10 Post by Kolchak »

OK, here i am in Hawaii. Been here since early Tues morning, so 3 days now. Early impressions are mixed.

Japanese culture is very strong here and for someone who has worked in Tokyo for a couple of years, I'm not sure if I feel like going down that road again.
There seems to be quite a few homeless people here, no wonder because the prices of basic things like bread, milk, breakfast cereal and gas are through the roof.

On the positive side, it is as beautiful as ever here, the weather here is the best in the world and swimming in the ocean everyday is just phenomenal. The Hawaiians are so friendly and you feel the aloha spirit here.

I have a feeling that if you have money, living here would be awesome. Otherwise it might be a little too difficult to make ends meet.

But it's still early days, so I'll keep you all posted.

Styles Bitchley

#11 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Kolchak wrote:OK, here i am in Hawaii. Been here since early Tues morning, so 3 days now. Early impressions are mixed.

Japanese culture is very strong here and for someone who has worked in Tokyo for a couple of years, I'm not sure if I feel like going down that road again.
There seems to be quite a few homeless people here, no wonder because the prices of basic things like bread, milk, breakfast cereal and gas are through the roof.

On the positive side, it is as beautiful as ever here, the weather here is the best in the world and swimming in the ocean everyday is just phenomenal. The Hawaiians are so friendly and you feel the aloha spirit here.

I have a feeling that if you have money, living here would be awesome. Otherwise it might be a little too difficult to make ends meet.

But it's still early days, so I'll keep you all posted.
When you have to import almost everything, it really drives up costs. Unfortunately, quite a bit of poverty...at least on Oahu. What's your profession? Did you arrange a job before arriving?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Kolchak
Lieutenant

#12 Post by Kolchak »

I knew everything would be more expensive, just not as much as it is. That would be ok but the schools I'm looking at (I'm a teacher) all seem to be offering part time work. I suspect it's so they don't have to provide you with health insurance, which all companies must give employees who work for more than 20 hours.

Anyway, off to the beach now and for a bus trip 'round the island. Buses went up yesterday but are still cheap. $2.50 anywhere and the ticket can be used again within 2 hours.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Little Garwood »

Kolchak, your experiences on Hawaii would make for a great blog. If you don't do that, please try and post some pics here.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Kolchak
Lieutenant

#14 Post by Kolchak »

Just a quick post 'cause I now you guys here would appreciate it- went for a swim in the tidal pool 2 days ago at the Anderson estate. aka Robin's Nest.
I've been there before, almost 2 years ago, so believe me when I say the place looks better. They've cleared away some of the brush that was overgrowing along the fence and the volleyball court looks like it's been fixed up.
There were quite a few cars in there, and I think she had some family there having a BBQ as it was July 4. The gate from the estate to the pool was open and as tempted as I was, I wanted to respect her privacy so I didn't go in.
The pool had a few locals using it, and the water was as warm and as clear as you imagine my friends.

Love that place!

Styles Bitchley

#15 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Green with envy, bro. I'd love to be frolicking in the tidal pool right now.

- J.Q.H.